• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Simon1971

Simon1971

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: fuson

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi, Just managed to get car back home after it cut out. Now it runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out. It's a 1.6 Ford Fuson on a 52 plate.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 paul-eb

paul-eb

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Ford Model: ford Fusion 1.4 tdci
Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hi, Just managed to get car back home after it cut out. Now it runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out. It's a 1.6 Ford Fuson on a 52 plate.

Could you give us a little more information please,

Are we talking Diesel or Petrol?

Has the fuel filter been changed in a service recently?

Sounds like a problem possibly with Fuel getting to the combustion chamber?

#3 Simon1971

Simon1971

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Its petrol and the fuel filter has not been changed that i know off.

#4 pete121

pete121

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion Zetec Climate 1.4 durashift
Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hi,
yep, choked fuel supply would be my first check, but you don't say whether it just cuts out when you let the revs drop to idle, and that otherwise the power delivery is normal. i.e if you sit with the revs at about 1500 rpm does the engine run fine and only when you release the throttle and it drops back, that it dies? only, with that engine, (and I stand to be corrected here) I believe there is an anti-run-on valve...a small but quite expensive little electric gizmo that used to give a bit of bother, and would give exactly the symptoms I describe. Also, check the throttle sensor too....they are notorious for getting dirty and causing weird problems...most commonly the engine dies to an idle but wont rev at all! more common with the diesel though.....good luck with it anyway.

#5 Simon1971

Simon1971

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi,
yep, choked fuel supply would be my first check, but you don't say whether it just cuts out when you let the revs drop to idle, and that otherwise the power delivery is normal. i.e if you sit with the revs at about 1500 rpm does the engine run fine and only when you release the throttle and it drops back, that it dies? only, with that engine, (and I stand to be corrected here) I believe there is an anti-run-on valve...a small but quite expensive little electric gizmo that used to give a bit of bother, and would give exactly the symptoms I describe. Also, check the throttle sensor too....they are notorious for getting dirty and causing weird problems...most commonly the engine dies to an idle but wont rev at all! more common with the diesel though.....good luck with it anyway.

I rev it to 3000rpm in the hope it might clear itself but after about 5 seconds it cut out . Does not even missfire.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users