Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk.2 Estate Tailgate Trim Panel Removal

Stephen Leak

Hi,

I usually live in the Fiesta forum, but I've wandered across to ask for your help to help a damsel in distress.

My lady friend has a 2005 Focus Mk.2 Estate. Her rear wiper motor has packed up. I've sourced a replacement for just under 70% less than Ford's RRP.

All I have to do is fit it for her. But she doesn't have a Haynes manual.

So, how do you remove the tailgate trim panel?

I suspect that you just work around the edge, removing any screws you find. However, I also know, from long and bitter experience of messing around with cars, that there is always at least one cunningly hidden fixing that somehow manages to hold the panel in place as well as all the others.

You've basically got the idea, but here's what I do to remove mine without a Haynes (3 times to date). This may not be the offical or best way but it worked for me and regardless there is always a risk of breaking something so proceed in a firm but careful manor - I haven't broken anything yet.

Remove the two screws located in the inner handles. Now all that’s holding it on are a number of push fit pegs. I open the tail gate so the panel is fairly horizontal so I can sort of half stand under it and work from there.

I start at one side and ease the panel away from the door - it’ll make a nasty grinding noise as each peg is released - I work my way across to the other side pulling at the edge, all the time supporting the panel from underneath. I’ve sometimes had to carefully slide a flat hand between the edge of the panel and tail gate and ‘clench a fist’ to pop a peg that’s near the middle (does that make sense).

The trickiest part I’ve found is where the panel meets the two uprights panels that run up the sides of the window – I’ve never taken these off but have eased and pulled at them until the main panel is released from under them.

Refitting requires the overlap with the two window panels to be engaged first (it doesn't look possible otherwise) this also helps to align the panel in the right place. Then I basically slap the pegs back into their holes with the flat of my hand from the outside of the panel then replace the screws.

Jason.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club