Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 - Brakes Problem?

Tman76

Hi Guys

I have a 2006 Ford Focus 1.8Ltr Petrol which over the last few days has (i think) started to develop a braking problem...

From a cold start on pressing down on the brake pedal the first time after moving off from cold start the car seems to brake harder than the amount of pressure I have applied to the pedal. After this first braking all other braking is as would be expected.

To try and give an example I start the car from cold - approx 10 mtrs down my road i need to stop to turn right - get the car up to around 10mph before i need to brake for the first time- the car kinda slightly lurches forward on pressing the brake pedal ( not dangerously) just enough to draw my attention to the braking?

After that I have about a 20min drive during which braking is fine?

Help/Advice greatly appreciated - I have a 2 yr daughter in the car with me so concernded whether this is a problem or me being paranoid

Are there any warning lights on the dash? and is there brake fluid in the reservoir? Bring it to ford and they will run a diagnostics on it, this will help to pin point any problems.

Are there any warning lights on the dash? and is there brake fluid in the reservoir? Bring it to ford and they will run a diagnostics on it, this will help to pin point any problems.

no warning lights on the dash. will check the brake fluid resevoir tonight al though it was in at ford in June for brake fluid change.

have pumped the brake pedal with car off and the brake pedal stiffens up so seems the servo unit is ok?

only happens on the first braking from a cold start so will hard for them to replicate the problem. tonight going to switch on ignition drive a bit and brake then switch off engine. switch it back on and drive a bit and see if it occurs again - hopefully it will then i can take it to ford and tell them how to find the problem - if there is one - strange it doesnt do it all the time just the very first braking?

It is quite normal for brakes to be slightly fierce upon the first aplication after standing overnight especialy if they are damp and maybe a coating of rust on the discs,

Regards brian

It is quite normal for brakes to be slightly fierce upon the first aplication after standing overnight especialy if they are damp and maybe a coating of rust on the discs,

Regards brian

i agree with toolbox. i have got a 1.8 petrol as well and the brake is sharper than usual if it has been raining and the car has not been driven for the rust to settle on the disc or drum.

sounds like you have a sticking front disk pad, to check them, take them out and check for ease of movement, make sure that they move freely, you may also need to lightly file the mating surface of the pad "not the braking surface" only the metal part, use copper slip when replacing.

i agree with toolbox. i have got a 1.8 petrol as well and the brake is sharper than usual if it has been raining and the car has not been driven for the rust to settle on the disc or drum.

Hi Guys thanks for this - I called ford yesterday to book it in for this coming monday - when i mentioned what i am experiencing he did mention that fords seem to suffer from this type of problem when the autumn arrives and the weather becomes more damp and wet - he did say more or less what you guys are saying "on first use they may well do this - once the rust has been removed from first braking, the brakes will return to normal"

So ive had this issue for the last 3 days during which there has been plenty of rain. From first start in the morning it exhibits this problem. When I use it in the evening approx 8 hours later it does it again. Ive checked in the evening to see if i can see a coating of rust on the discs but cant seem to see any.

Does it still sound like what you guys have mentioned?

Thanks

sounds like you have a sticking front disk pad, to check them, take them out and check for ease of movement, make sure that they move freely, you may also need to lightly file the mating surface of the pad "not the braking surface" only the metal part, use copper slip when replacing.

Thanks for this Alan

Even though it only happens once and its the same time each time (i.e first brake from a cold start) and then its fine for the duration of the journey?

No problem, I have had a couple of Focus and they have both been the same, at the risk of upsetting many amature mechanics, and folks of my fathers generation, coppaslip should not go anywhere nr the brakes on a modern car. the pads and calipers should be clean and dry also free not gunged up with grease that attracts all the muck thrown at it, I have also seen it used on aluminium calipers!!!that is definately a no no.

Regards Brian

No problem, I have had a couple of Focus and they have both been the same, at the risk of upsetting many amature mechanics, and folks of my fathers generation, coppaslip should not go anywhere nr the brakes on a modern car. the pads and calipers should be clean and dry also free not gunged up with grease that attracts all the muck thrown at it, I have also seen it used on aluminium calipers!!!that is definately a no no.

Regards Brian

After your reply i thought back and indeed for the last 3 days it has been raining day and night and the braking problem both in the morning and in the evening after work has been there - yesterday day no rain and guess what no wierd braking problem on intial brake after cold start. No rain over night and this morning...no sign of the brake problem

No rain for day is forecasted so if it is still the same this evening with no problem on first brake going to call Ford and cancel the appointment for monday

So when it was doing it at the low speed - as you said it seems its due to the layer of brake dust on the discs but why do the brakes come on so fierce with just a light press of the pedal? is the sensor confused or is it a design to rid the rust of the disc?

Thanks Again Brian for taking time out to reply - has put my mind at rest

Trevor

After your reply i thought back and indeed for the last 3 days it has been raining day and night and the braking problem both in the morning and in the evening after work has been there - yesterday day no rain and guess what no wierd braking problem on intial brake after cold start. No rain over night and this morning...no sign of the brake problem

No rain for day is forecasted so if it is still the same this evening with no problem on first brake going to call Ford and cancel the appointment for monday

So when it was doing it at the low speed - as you said it seems its due to the layer of brake dust on the discs but why do the brakes come on so fierce with just a light press of the pedal? is the sensor confused or is it a design to rid the rust of the disc?

Thanks Again Brian for taking time out to reply - has put my mind at rest

Trevor

copaslip is fine on modern brakes and is even recommended by the brake manufacturers and the car companies as long as its done right it causes no issues whatso ever

Regards Brian

no rain since last wednesday afternoon....no problem with the brakes since last wednesday afternoon

Have cancelled the appointment with Ford

:)

no rain since last wednesday afternoon....no problem with the brakes since last wednesday afternoon

Have cancelled the appointment with Ford

:)

if its an issue after its been raining its likely rust on the disks surface rust appears on the disks when its been raining that first press will be a bit harder as its scrubbing the rust off the disk thats why they work fine after that the rust has been removed doesnt sound like an issue to be honest worry if the brakes suddenly get hard while youre driving but what you explain is just simple rust being scrubbed off the disk it may even squeek or grind a tad as its doiing it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club