Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dimming Instrument Lights

inverkip1

Hello,

I have just bought my first ever ford. this is a 1.6 tdci focus on a 10 plate. Call me thick but i cannot find any switch or button to dim the

instrument panel at night, very bright..... any help...... :unsure:

I have the same model and year and cant find one either so assume it does'nt have one.This is the first car ive had in the last 30+ years that has'nt had one. other Fords that ive had ,Mondeo Puma both had a switch.Maybe because they light is red Ford dont think it that it needs to be turned down. Graham

• Like 1

only the mk1 focus had this a standard.

subsequent versions only had this on the high specs (ghia etc)

I have an 05 LX and theres a switch down by the light for this. It's like a wheel you turn and it dims or brightens the instruments on the dash etc

My old 51 plate Mondeo Zetec had the very same, It seems that Ford haver decided to save money by only putting it on higher spec Focuses, my 59 plate Focus Zetec does not have it !

if you have got this, it is on the light switch below the headlight levelling control.

• 13 years later...

it's bright at night.  I like the dash a bit dimmer at night.  I've got 59 zetec and can't find it either.  at least I know it isn't there now.

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

image.png.e3292b59a0c2351bbe7fd6ada22d887f.png

Wow.

yup, lol.  Not long got the car and it's my 1st winter with it so driving in dark a lot with it.

The headlight switch unit can be easily swapped to one with a dimmer wheel.

You simply prise the switch out, disconnect the plug, connect the new switch and push it back into place.

Check eBay or your nearest local breakers for a suitable switch.

I recently fitted front fog lamps to my Mk2, which didn't have them factory fitted.

I found out about the dimmer by chance. I fitted a switch from a car with front fog lamps which also had the dimmer.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bar72 said:

I like the dash a bit dimmer at night. 

55 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

I found out about the dimmer by chance as I had to change the switch to one from a car with front fog lamps. The switch I used also had the dimmer.

headlight switch.JPG

switch 2.JPG

switch 4.JPG

well that's handy.  I'll have a look when down scrappies next week.  tnx to both of you for the info.

• Like 1

So the wiring is already there?  Nice, I like the display fairly bright anyway but this is the first car I've had in decades where you couldn't alter the display brightness.  Not sure what Ford were thinking of this one; the same applies to the lack of an internal boot release.  Whoever thought of deleting that switch needs shooting.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club