Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Stereo Questions

Ket

Does any one know if you can connect an aftermarket double-din stereo navigation unit to the S-Max and have it connecting to the new Converse+ display and the steering wheel controls?

I have recently bought the car and was wondering if it is possible to do this (did not want to add SATNAV as an optional extra because of the price - £1200 option! - and functionality).

I like the idea of using an aftermarket stereo with the steering wheel controls and the convers+ display - particularly the ability to use the phone and see call information.

Hello and welcome

I know that most aftermarket stereos do not link up with standard steering wheel controls but there may be an adaptor available that can link them up.

£1200 is a hell of a lot to have it as an extra!

£1200 is a hell of a lot to have it as an extra!

Yep... I thought so too!!!

I have since done some research and there are aftermarket units that use the steering mounted controls, but does not look like it is possible to hook them up to the convers+ display :(

Oh well... Never mind... will probably just go for a Tom Tom now - quick, painless and much cheaper!!!

• 3 months later...

Yep... I thought so too!!!

I have since done some research and there are aftermarket units that use the steering mounted controls, but does not look like it is possible to hook them up to the convers+ display :(

Oh well... Never mind... will probably just go for a Tom Tom now - quick, painless and much cheaper!!!

Yes you can.

There are a number of members at the S-Max Owners Club who have done this.

Some needed new surrounds, but fairly straight forward.

You cannot buy a product yet that allows you to integrate in to the steering wheel controls.

The only way, currently, of achieving this is to order a new S-Max with the USB slot in the glovebox.

Landman

Yes you can.

There are a number of members at the S-Max Owners Club who have done this.

Some needed new surrounds, but fairly straight forward.

You cannot buy a product yet that allows you to integrate in to the steering wheel controls.

The only way, currently, of achieving this is to order a new S-Max with the USB slot in the glovebox.

Landman

I may also add that tunne1rat could easily help you with a professional advice

Thankyou Andrei.

I feel some advice is needed here so lets start at the beginning.

As with any aftermarket install, it really depends on how much you want to spend and what level of sound quality you expect to achieve.

The S-max like most Fords is very easy to add after-market ICE due to it's straight forward wiring. This is good because the basic Visteon Ford radio's are not the best sounding units I have heard and are really better off in the dustbin.

There are fascia adaptors available to fit either single or double din head-units and wiring adaptors to incorporate the steering controls (although some generic Ford ISO leads are not suitable for S-Max).

There is at present no way to interface with the convers display, but really there is no need to, as most double din head-units have large bright displays which can be seen as easily as the convers/dash display.

I should also mention that those cheeky chappies in the far eastern land of China have produced a DVD navigation head-unit which looks very similar to the Ford one, (including Ford badges), runs any windows ce satnav software (ie tomtom, route 66 etc), has built in bluetooth / ipod control, interfaces with convers and fits your dash with no special facia or wiring adaptors needed. Best bit is it can be imported for around £350. Sounds too good to be true? It probably is! Having a lot of experience of China manufactured ICE, the build quality and sound quality is not going to be anything special (on par with visteon), but maybe a cheap alternative for anyone on a tight budget.

Thankyou Andrei.

I feel some advice is needed here so lets start at the beginning.

As with any aftermarket install, it really depends on how much you want to spend and what level of sound quality you expect to achieve.

The S-max like most Fords is very easy to add after-market ICE due to it's straight forward wiring. This is good because the basic Visteon Ford radio's are not the best sounding units I have heard and are really better off in the dustbin.

There are fascia adaptors available to fit either single or double din head-units and wiring adaptors to incorporate the steering controls (although some generic Ford ISO leads are not suitable for S-Max).

There is at present no way to interface with the convers display, but really there is no need to, as most double din head-units have large bright displays which can be seen as easily as the convers/dash display.

I should also mention that those cheeky chappies in the far eastern land of China have produced a DVD navigation head-unit which looks very similar to the Ford one, (including Ford badges), runs any windows ce satnav software (ie Tomtom, route 66 etc), has built in bluetooth / ipod control, interfaces with convers and fits your dash with no special facia or wiring adaptors needed. Best bit is it can be imported for around £350. Sounds too good to be true? It probably is! Having a lot of experience of China manufactured ICE, the build quality and sound quality is not going to be anything special (on par with visteon), but maybe a cheap alternative for anyone on a tight budget.

That's a word of the ford ICE expert :D , don't get it lost guys ;)

• 4 months later...
That's a word of the ford ICE expert :D , don't get it lost guys ;)

Newbie here, quick question - does anyone have further details of the aforementioned Chinese-made units....?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club