30 replies to this topic

#1 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0tdci 2006

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Help! How do I get the boot open? I have crawled into the boot from the car, taken off trim and everything looks beautifully clean, no sign of water or rust. The boot lock seems to have no manual release at all. Pulling off the wiring plug sets off the alarm. The plug has 4 wires going into it. The wires from passenger side to drivers side are 12v all the time, nothing, nothing, and 12v when double pulsing the key fob. So a signal is getting to the boot lock unit from the fob. The lock is held on by 3 Torx screws. Any suggestions very welcome as to what to do next?
Regards
Arthur Hodgett

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Check the boot release switch again as it can get stuck, happened on mine. Also check the fuse for the switch is not blown.

#3 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

Check the boot release switch again as it can get stuck, happened on mine. Also check the fuse for the switch is not blown.

Sadly this one has no means of mechanical release that I can see, it relies entirely on the fob or boot switch. Anyway have taken out the 3 Torx screws, removed the wired plug and pushed the boot lid off the lock, leaving the lock attached to the car. Stripped the lock in situ to release it. Stripped it down and the little electric motor has a melted com !!! It's a Johnson motor with two numbers on it, 20278 and 3E4668. However searching Johnson's web site comes up with nothing. It's probably less than a fiver's worth as well. I can't wait to see th ecost of a new unit !!

#4 alz

alz

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

here is a diagram that should help you

tail lock.jpg

(unit 79 is the tail lock)
(unit 88 is the tail lock switch)

#5 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

here is a diagram that should help you

tail lock.jpg

(unit 79 is the tail lock)
(unit 88 is the tail lock switch)

Thanks for the diagram, I saw it in the Haynes manual, and it helped me to realise the fault must be in the tailgate lock. Anyway better news! Browsing the ST forum, one contributor mentioned that someone on eb*y was selling the little motors, so hopefully one will be winging its way to me shortly, for just over the 5. This lock has apparently been superceded by a new model, but I'll try the motor first.
Thanks again
Arthur

#6 dicodread

dicodread

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 focus sedan

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the diagram, I saw it in the Haynes manual, and it helped me to realise the fault must be in the tailgate lock. Anyway better news! Browsing the ST forum, one contributor mentioned that someone on eb*y was selling the little motors, so hopefully one will be winging its way to me shortly, for just over the 5. This lock has apparently been superceded by a new model, but I'll try the motor first.
Thanks again
Arthur

do you have a part number for the motor that is bad. I seem to have the exact same issue where I have to press the switch at the back for 5 times before it opens and then every night I get the trunk light showing up on my dashboard.

#7 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

do you have a part number for the motor that is bad. I seem to have the exact same issue where I have to press the switch at the back for 5 times before it opens and then every night I get the trunk light showing up on my dashboard.

Yes it has arrived this morning and looks exactly correct. All I have to do is fit the gear wheel onto the splined shaft and check it rotates the correct direction. The part number is FC-280PT-20150 item number on that site 220676332659 seller mcamp1on. Will post further details as things go.

#8 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

seems as tho this is a very common problem, mainly on fords with no manual boot release. I have a 05 Ford Focus Saloon titaium and the boot wouldnt unlock on sunday just after id finished my round of golf...which was !Removed! annoying cos had to fit all my golf gear onto the back seat! Googled the problem when i got in and there are many threads on this website and others reguarding boot release issues on Focuses. The following day, seemingly for no reason, the boot release now works doing the usual double tap of the boot unlock button on the fob. Have tried it several times since then and has worked every time. But im now worried that everytime i put something in the boot that i wont actually be able to get it out (unless i put the back seats down).

Also it says in the manual that if the car is unlocked you can manually unlock the boot by pressing the switch which is located between the two lights which are just above ya registration plate. I have tried this but it doesnt seem to unlock the boot. Has anyone out there managed to unlock their boot by using this switch (when the car is unlocked)???

Why the hell didnt Ford put a key lock on the boot so could be opened in the usual way as awell as using the fob grrrrr

#9 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

seems as tho this is a very common problem, mainly on fords with no manual boot release. I have a 05 Ford Focus Saloon titaium and the boot wouldnt unlock on sunday just after id finished my round of golf...which was !Removed! annoying cos had to fit all my golf gear onto the back seat! Googled the problem when i got in and there are many threads on this website and others reguarding boot release issues on Focuses. The following day, seemingly for no reason, the boot release now works doing the usual double tap of the boot unlock button on the fob. Have tried it several times since then and has worked every time. But im now worried that everytime i put something in the boot that i wont actually be able to get it out (unless i put the back seats down).

Also it says in the manual that if the car is unlocked you can manually unlock the boot by pressing the switch which is located between the two lights which are just above ya registration plate. I have tried this but it doesnt seem to unlock the boot. Has anyone out there managed to unlock their boot by using this switch (when the car is unlocked)???

Why the hell didnt Ford put a key lock on the boot so could be opened in the usual way as awell as using the fob grrrrr

The boot switch is electrical and needs the same little electric motor as the fob uses to unlock the boot. If the motor I sourced on that site works, I will buy a couple as I keep cars a long time!! I think a key operator would have been quite easy to do, but it saves a few pence on construction costs. The little lever the motor pushes, could be pushed also by a rod if one had been suitably designed.

#10 dicodread

dicodread

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:25 AM

The boot switch is electrical and needs the same little electric motor as the fob uses to unlock the boot. If the motor I sourced on that site works, I will buy a couple as I keep cars a long time!! I think a key operator would have been quite easy to do, but it saves a few pence on construction costs. The little lever the motor pushes, could be pushed also by a rod if one had been suitably designed.

So I can see how the motor will get the trunk open but what about the dash showing the trunk open light? what is the fix for that problem?

#11 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

You might need a locksmith to get the boot open. Here's a how to guide I found for replacing the lock mechanism. http://fordfocusworl....php?f=25&t=620

#12 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Well, I've finally fixed it. The original motor from ebay was correct in all aspects except rotation. The chap on ebay has managed to get me the correct one which rotates clockwise when viewed from gear end. (From the circuit diagram, I believe reversing polarity would harm the electronics from which the signal comes, as the microswitch is fed from the 12v feed as well.) A very small flat jewellers screwdriver inserted in the plastic clips easily splits the plastic actuator in half. (Take a picture of the actuator lever and spring in case it comes out so you can put it back together)
You will need a little puller to get the original brass gear off the old motor. I used one designed for gear wheels on N gauge train wheels. Just to make sure there were no problems I took the top off the splines on the shaft and pushed the gear on using a vice and small nut to get the gear wheel into the correct position.
Assemble the actiator back onto the mechanical lock with the mechanical lock locked. After assembly unlock the lock with a small screwdriver, prior to fitting. (Actuator goes on easier with lock locked)
With the actuator off, the console shows boot open warning permanently, until you nearly run out of petrol. Somehow the boot light is also controlled by this circuitry.

#13 dicodread

dicodread

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Well, I've finally fixed it. The original motor from ebay was correct in all aspects except rotation. The chap on ebay has managed to get me the correct one which rotates clockwise when viewed from gear end. (From the circuit diagram, I believe reversing polarity would harm the electronics from which the signal comes, as the microswitch is fed from the 12v feed as well.) A very small flat jewellers screwdriver inserted in the plastic clips easily splits the plastic actuator in half. (Take a picture of the actuator lever and spring in case it comes out so you can put it back together)
You will need a little puller to get the original brass gear off the old motor. I used one designed for gear wheels on N gauge train wheels. Just to make sure there were no problems I took the top off the splines on the shaft and pushed the gear on using a vice and small nut to get the gear wheel into the correct position.
Assemble the actiator back onto the mechanical lock with the mechanical lock locked. After assembly unlock the lock with a small screwdriver, prior to fitting. (Actuator goes on easier with lock locked)
With the actuator off, the console shows boot open warning permanently, until you nearly run out of petrol. Somehow the boot light is also controlled by this circuitry.

I cut my wires and reversed it to make it turn in the correct direction. Unfortunately I still have the problem where I have to press the button 3-4 times to make the trunk open and my trunk open light shows up on the dashboard every night. Any one with a fix for this?

#14 ahodgett

ahodgett

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

I cut my wires and reversed it to make it turn in the correct direction. Unfortunately I still have the problem where I have to press the button 3-4 times to make the trunk open and my trunk open light shows up on the dashboard every night. Any one with a fix for this?

I considered reversing the polarity of the wires, but decided against it for the reasons you have found. The boot open switch and other things come off the non earth side, (There seems to be a sensor of some kind to detect position embedded with the switch). By reversing the polarity you put these to earth, causing all sorts of problems. Because I've fiddled with the loom so much, occasionally turning on the side lights operates the boot, so I've obviouly got a short somewhere in the loom to find. It doesn't rain but it pours. I've noticed the loom goes over sharp edges without protection, so will wait for better weather to sort. (We've nearly 2 feet of snow here at the moment.)

#15 dicodread

dicodread

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

I considered reversing the polarity of the wires, but decided against it for the reasons you have found. The boot open switch and other things come off the non earth side, (There seems to be a sensor of some kind to detect position embedded with the switch). By reversing the polarity you put these to earth, causing all sorts of problems. Because I've fiddled with the loom so much, occasionally turning on the side lights operates the boot, so I've obviouly got a short somewhere in the loom to find. It doesn't rain but it pours. I've noticed the loom goes over sharp edges without protection, so will wait for better weather to sort. (We've nearly 2 feet of snow here at the moment.)

Hope you got over the snow problem, we dont worry about those things in Barbados as we see snow every year without fail (on tv that is).
Have you gotten a fix to this problem with the boot? I refuse to have the dealers fix it as the quote from them is 600bds (300usd) just to check it and then say what parts I might need.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users