Do Not Sell My Personal Information

't' Reg Ka Struggling On Slopes And Picking Up Speed

chris_matthews

Hello

I own a T registration Ka. As much as I love the old thing, it is really struggling to get up any sort of slope - I have to change down to 2nd or even 1st just to keep the car moving at 20mph.

The car has a new exhaust, I have cleaned out the Idle Speed Control Valve (which at least has stopped the car from stalling), and have new oil / coolant in the engine.

Any ideas what to do as it is getting frustrating watching an ever growing line of cars behind me as I start driving uphill.

Many thanks

try replacing the wire plug that fits onto the engine.

it's a small plug that fits on the rh side as you look into engine near the exhaust manifold

just cut off wire & replace the plug with a std spade connector like you get from any electrical store for about 20 pence

as sometimes the thig gets corroded & gives false signal the heating & tells the engine to cut out due to overheating?

is the clutch ok ??

try pulling away in 2nd & also try pulling away with hand brake on to see if clutch is slipping

try running car without air filter in to see if that's the problem as you have not said you replaced it ?

how does the car drive on a flat road? does it feel like its misfiring at all?

how does the car drive on a flat road? does it feel like its misfiring at all?

Thanks for the replies so far.

On the flat it seems OK - still not picking up speed as quickly as I would like but better than uphill.

The clutch looks good and is not slipping, plus I put a new air filter in recently so this should be OK.

I shall have a go with the spark plugs this weekend, plus the wire plug mentioned by Delboy.

Typically since posting this I have been bunged up with a virus, so haven't been able to get out and about :(

Wish me luck!

i have the same proplem going to service it this weekend hopefully will sort out hoping someone might have the answer if it dont work it runs fine sounds sweet but as soon as i get to like 30 mph takes ages to reach 60 then again 75 mph running flat and pinking to feels like clutch slip but the clutch is fine pls help

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

Spark plugs and coil pack have been changed. I have now had the car serviced and they have confirmed that the ECU needs repairing.

This is with Nationwide Autocentre, and they are quoting £500.00. This seems a bit steep to me as I have seen far cheaper quotes online (£120 plus parts with http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk. Does anyone have any ideas for any other garages in the Bristol area that may be able to do this?

The annoying thing is that the car only has 74k on the clock and is pretty sound apart from this.

Chris

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club