Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1 1999 Engine Squeaking Constantly

Rob89

Hey all first post =)

First problem with my Focus =/

When the engine is on and in idle it squeaks constantly over and over again as if it was in a pattern.

I put my put my head in the engine and it seems to be near the only belt that is visible, and I dont know what belt this is or even if it is the problem.

It squeaks as it's idling.

It squeaks as I'm driving and increases alot when I rev it. I've revved it idle too and the squeak gets worse and faster.

It's constantly on but not sure about when I'm hitting 50-70mph.

Any ideas?

I've read other websites and suggestions say it can be cambelt or timing belt.

Also is it bad? lol

I'm going to get it looked at but before that I need to know a rough price on labour and fixing.

Cheers

This is usually caused by the alternator belt due to worn grips (teeth) on it. It's a cheap replacement that you could do yourself too. :)

This is usually caused by the alternator belt due to worn grips (teeth) on it. It's a cheap replacement that you could do yourself too. :)

Im not really experienced with the engine but I am willing to try if it's that easy.

How would I go about it?

and how much do u think it will cost me?

Edit: Is this Alternator Belt also know as the Serpentine/Fan Belt??

Cheers

Hi Rob89

Here are some diagrams, did not know if you car was petrol or diesel, (belt & belt2 are for petrol) and (belt3 & belt4 are for diesel)...all are for 1999 focus..

post-2425-040144500 1287512149_thumb.jpg

post-2425-002842000 1287512168_thumb.jpg

post-2425-046384400 1287512177_thumb.jpg

post-2425-085334000 1287512186_thumb.jpg

it would be worth getting this looked at sooner rather than later, its most probably a worn alternator belt but it could also be a tensioner, and there is a possible chance that its the tensioner of the timing belt.

to add to alz post, haynes doesnt actually cover all belt setups - on my 2001 focus i do not have a tensioner, the tension is set by bolting the alternator in place and it uses a 'stretch belt' and the only place i know of that sells the belt is ford

and to answer your question - yes this is a serpentine belt (multi rib - not toothed) it drives the alternator, power steering, water pump and aircon if you have it.

Thanks guys.

I wet the belt and the sound disappeared, but within a few mins it reappeared.

Any ideas?

Edit: Car is a Ford Focus Mk1 1999 1.8L Petrol with Air Con and Power Steering

Thanks guys.

I wet the belt and the sound disappeared, but within a few mins it reappeared.

Any ideas?

belt tension needs to be checked but theres a good chance the belt just needs replaced.

if you have some talc powder, try putting some of that on the belt/pulleys. a little messy but it does eliminate squealing temporarily.

belt needs replacing then.

if you have some talc powder, try putting some of that on the belt/pulleys. a little messy but it does eliminate squealing temporarily.

I added my car type to last post.

Hmm I've got a new belt on order for tomorrow.

Hopefully it is an easy change. I have access to the area under the car behind the drivers side wheel just as the Haynes manual suggests. Any other tips?

It's just a matter of rapping the new belt around the pullys in the correct order and direction? Oh and correctly positioning it too.

Or is there more to it?

Car is about to hit 70k milage. Just for more info

I added my car type to last post.

Hmm I've got a new belt on order for tomorrow.

Hopefully it is an easy change. I have access to the area under the car behind the drivers side wheel just as the Haynes manual suggests. Any other tips?

It's just a matter of rapping the new belt around the pullys in the correct order and direction? Oh and correctly positioning it too.

Or is there more to it?

Car is about to hit 70k milage. Just for more info

a good tip is to draw a diagram of how the belt routes before you remove it. undo the tension on it and pull it off. fit the new belt over the pulleys and set the tension.

thats about it, just make sure it runs over the pulleys correctly.

depending on engine and the actual belt layout, you might be able to do it from the top.

a good tip is to draw a diagram of how the belt routes before you remove it. undo the tension on it and pull it off. fit the new belt over the pulleys and set the tension.

thats about it, just make sure it runs over the pulleys correctly.

depending on engine and the actual belt layout, you might be able to do it from the top.

Cool, well I'll be getting the belt tomorrow and have the whole day to fiddle with it =x lol

Hope nothing goes wrong

I managed to get the new belt on and there is no squeak or anything so seems fixed upto now. =D

I will be checking now and then as the temp outside gets cold so see if it returns.

But I also got a quote from a garage about getting pullys replaced if needed and the quote was £70ish. Sounds fair?

Ofcourse wont need to get it done if the sound doesnt return.

hi just had my focus mk1 timing belt changed and aux belt changed (the one that can be seen) both had holes in and were badly worn in other places mine is high mileage (119,000) but i had a lucky escape thank god. best to be safe than sorry hope you've fixed your car now!

• 3 months later...

I had a problem with mine. The water pump jammed up and the belt heated up and melted the pulley on the tensioner before snapping the belt. Had changed the serpintine belt before I realised the water pump was shot and it stretched the new belt as well. Waitin on a new tensioner with pulley to replace the melted one and also have to get yet another new serpentine belt plus had to replace the water pump which was a fun job:-))

• 1 year later...

Dont know if this thread is finiahed but will post and hopefully may get a reply.

I am replacing my alternator belt for the first time and the rubber wheel around the belt tensiner looks very worn, so I am sourcing one of these to fit at the same time.

After reading this thread I am wondering if the reason the tensioner is so worn & belt snapped is because the water pump has gone ( like happened with conman).

Prior to my belt snapping the car was running A1, and once snapped got me a few miles to home.

I dont want to fit new belt tensioner and belt only for them to be trashed if water pump has gone also. But I dont want to change water pump unless required.

Any advise on how I would know if the water pump has gone would be most appreciated as I am now in the predicament of having an unusable family vehicle and not being able to get it up to the garage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club