ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,630 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

They shouldn't be a waste of money for me because I do high mileage. They should wear less in winter than the current all season tyres.
If I have 1 set of all-seasons lasting 12 months or 1 set of winter & 1 set of all-season lasting 24months between them it's the same cost!

Back the the original question, has anyone seen some wheel trims that would look ok on my car?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 AndrewL

AndrewL

Local Rep: Warwickshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

If I was you I'd just stick with the exposed steelies and avoid wheel trims as I think they'll look rubbish. It probably looks more obvious that they're not your standard wheels that way too.

#18 kirsten

kirsten

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: ford fiesta 1.4

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

Im also having the same problem, i bought a new fiesta zetec 1.4 the other month and i need 2 winter tyres for going to the alps for the winter (5months). I also plan to use snow chains a little.

i have 15 inch wheels with 195/50 15 82h at the moment.

I was looking to get 2 steel wheels and two snow tyres from somewhere like mytyres.co.uk

Ive found 2 options-
1. My tyres have some 15 inch wheel with the same tyre BUT im not sure about the ET/offset. Where does it give the information about what it should be.
They set up is saying that it will be fitted on a 4 hole steel wheel : 15 inchh 4 x 108.00 x 63.30 ET:47.50
I was under the impression the ET had to be lower than that!
Any one want to give me any advice?
Also any rules on just have 2 snow tyres..?

2.The ford garage said to put 175/65 R14 on
Now a 175/65 R14 82H Is coming up saying
The tyre will be fitted on a 4-hole steel wheel: 14 inch 4 x 108.00 x 63.30 ET: 37.50
This sounds more like what ive read online...but i dont no anything about wheels..and the ford garage also seemed a bit confused...by putting the 175/65 on a 14 inch wheel does that make it the same as a 150/95 on a 15 inch wheel?

But there is also this size in 82H and 82t and 86H and 86T. Which one?

Also any one have any idea what the clearance is like...will i be ok with snowchains?

Any info would be hugely appreciated!!
Thanks
Kirst

#19 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,630 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

I've bought 4 x Continental Winter Contact TS800 (195/50/15 82H) from Kwik Fit. 253.90 fitted.
I wouldn't just put 2 tyres on, you would get over/understeer as one end of the car would have less grip.

#20 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,630 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Right, everything's been sorted now!

Got my steel wheels on [thanks fordpartsman!] and cleaned them up:

Posted Image

and here's a pic of the tread pattern:

Posted Image

Originally bought some silver wheel trims & black spray paint. I cut 55mm holes in the middle & used the center caps from my alloys:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I couldn't be bother prepping them so paint chipped off really easily.

So I bought some new black/silver wheel trims and some 75mm gel overlays!:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And now I'm happy :)

#21 audicab26

audicab26

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6TDCi Titanium 5dr

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I have just fitted a set of 15" Steels & Ford Trims my wifes 2010 Titanium. They are fitted with 'winter tyres'. We live down a country lane which is largely untreated post snow falls and as we are high up, is always icey.

The car grips much better and stops more easlily than it did with the standard 16" Summmer tyres. On Monday evening when we had a lot of snow fall here in a very short space of time, ours was the only car to get up the hill to our village. Drove past a dozen or so stranded cars!

They are effective up to + 7 degrees apparently. So they offer improved grip throughout the winter and not just in the snow. As I see it removing the 16" 7-Spoke Alloys and storing them over the winter will reduce the risk of expensive wheel damage from frost damaged road surfaces or kerbs buried in snow. Also, it will prolong the life of the standard (expensive) tyres. I'll get them swapped back in March when the car is serviced. We plan to keep the car for some time.

The wheels and trims came from E bay. They are from a Fiesta Edge I think?, a Ford dealer listed them - they had been removed from a new car when the customer upgraded his wheels to alloys at delivery. They don't look that special but I'm not that vain and I'd rather protect the car and it's occupants. The tyres came from mytyres.co.uk - good price but a long delivery! I went with the size recommended by our Ford Dealer (I checked the size with a tyre stockist too) - can't recall the exact dimensions but it meant that the rolling radius was the same as with the 16" wheels. I also bought a set of wheel nuts from the dealer which are suited to steel wheels.

The above has made the car much easier to drive in snow and ice - the total cost was not much more than my insurance excess. We told our insurance company by the way - they did not see it as a 'modification' or increase our premium either. Some do!!!!

See: http://www.smmt.co.u...articleid=22819

Merry Christmas.

Derek

#22 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,630 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

We told our insurance company by the way - they did not see it as a 'modification' or increase our premium either. Some do!!!!

Anyone that has been charged by their insurer should contact them for a refund.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-11969958

#23 TroodoN

TroodoN

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Ford Model: mk7 Fiesta 1.4 Titanium

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

iNath - im impressed. They look good actually (trims).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users