Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus - Water Leak Into Cabin

oobster

Fellow Ford Fanatics...

I have an issues that I would appreciate advice on.

I own a 57-plate Focus hatchback 5-door and I noticed a water leak into the cabin earlier this year (March). The entire length of the drivers-side carpet was absolutely soaking. I removed the drivers seat and must have easily removed over 3 pints of water from the floor pan, carpet and the felt stuff inbetween.

The car went into my local dealers, Peoples in Falkirk, who had the car for 7 working days and charged me over £200 to seal the hinges where the hatch meets the roof - when I got the car back I could see some sealant round these hinges that they had then colour-coded with a touch-up pen.

Fast forward to today when I decided to hoover the car. Yep, same carpets on the drivers side front and back absolutely soaking.

So - advice time. Should I:

a) Suffer the inconveniance of booking the car in again, having to sort out a courtesy car inc. swapping the insurance over, and wait over a week to get my car returned to me again and then have the almost inevitable argument over the bill I feel they will try to present me with.

B) Live with it

c) Torch it.

Of course option C is a joke.

Hi,

My first thought is £200 and 7 days ,what a rip off!

So for that amount of money you should now have a fully waterproof car,go back to the stealers and tell them you want the job done properly and you don't expect them to charge you again and of course they should provide a courtesy car at their expense including insurance.I am sure if you mention the local trading standards people would be interested in your story they might take you seriously.Don't take any truck from them.Good luck

It could be blocked drainage channels causing water to accumulate and ingressing that way or a leaking heater matrix. Feel around the door seals for moisture as it may provide you with some clues to where it's getting in. Maybe hose down around the door areas and check around the seals then. On the mk1 focus it's nearly always the pollen filter that fixes this but on the mk2 it's located inside the car. Keep us posted.

Yea, there is NO WAY i will be paying another penny to them for this issue.

H3lly, if it was a leaking heater matrix surely that would mean the water level in the radiator expansion bottle would go down?

Considering the volume of water in the footwell I'd say you can rule that one out. I was just putting it out there. I did a bit of reading on the matter after I last posted and in most cases the problem was damaged door seals ingressing water.

There is a foam membrane behind the door trim and if it's wet then it could be where waters entering the car. Ford give a 1 year warranty from new with issues with trim. I would go back to them and demand they fix it without handing over any more cash or as mentioned threaten them with trading standards.

Well thats it booked in for next Monday - they have it booked in for a week (well, they are booking the courtesy car out for a week, which isn't quite the same thing, but anyway)

My guess: Car will be in longer than a week, the water leak will be located in a different area from last time and they will hit me with a bill for >£200.

Well thats it booked in for next Monday - they have it booked in for a week (well, they are booking the courtesy car out for a week, which isn't quite the same thing, but anyway)

My guess: Car will be in longer than a week, the water leak will be located in a different area from last time and they will hit me with a bill for >£200.

Has the Focus got a sun roof? if so have the drainage channel bloked up.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club