Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will not start

mc_flame

One night driving back home from work just pulling up towards my garage when the revs dropped completely when took foot off acc and just died! :huh: Since then it will not fire, the starter turns and cranks engine but it won't fire?

Can anyone pls give me any ideas, help app.

I would suspect that its flooded. Is it cranking over and not firing but sounds like its turning over faster than normal?

What happens is that because the vehicle is programmed to inject lore fuel when cold if you start vehicle and then switch it off quickly this allows excess fuel to enter the cylinders and affect the spark plugs and even in some cases to affect compression.

You can either remove the spark plugs and clean or you could remove the fuel pump fuse and with your foot flat to the floor crank the engine(no longer than 30 seconds each time) until it starts to fire-then replace the fuse and repeat the procedure to it starts (once it catches it may not rev up straight away but keep your foot down until the revs increase).

I did think it may be flooded. I will have a go cleaning the sparks. battery almost dead tho cuz trying prob. Will have to charge or replace.. :)

I would have thought had it been flooded it would have started after a few minutes of sitting?

Hopefully it wont be your coil, Try double checking you are getting a spark at the plugs.

I hope its not too serious too :unsure:

Im gonna change the battery see what effect that has, then next suspect will be the coil?

I hope its not too serious too :unsure:

Im gonna change the battery see what effect that has, then next suspect will be the coil?

Depends, try and see if your getting a spark at the plug. If your getting a spark at the plug then it isn't your coil!

I read somewhere on the net that if you change your battery you can loose settings like alarm/immobiliser code. What are the chances of me changing the battery then the keyfob no longer working? :unsure:

Ok, I have changed the battery, spark plugs as they were black and dry. Changed air filter too as it was a bit filthy. It still refuses to start. I'm gonna check the coil as haven't got round to that yet.

While I had the sparks out I looked into the chambers and they looked dry inside.

Any ideas or has anyone else had a similar problem to this? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After taking it into a garage, they have had quick look over it and did some minor test and said I'm loosing compression on #1 cylinder. They said the result of that could be due to the valve, excess fuel or even a piston prob. A full diagnostic and closer look is going to be done on it to find out more whats wrong, if not successful it means taking the engine apart, therefore me being broke! :( Its fair to say I'm not very happy at the mo.

They are gonna try with a camera down the bores to see whats wrong 2morro, if that don't work then its £120 to take the head off to find the problem. <_<

Is it worth spending the money to get the car fixed or sell it, but really don't want to, love my car :(

They are gonna try with a camera down the bores to see whats wrong 2morro, if that don't work then its £120 to take the head off to find the problem. <_<

Is it worth spending the money to get the car fixed or sell it, but really don't want to, love my car :(

Depends what the problem is, the final cost and if you feel the cars worth paying out money on to be repaired really!

UPDATE!

Just found out that the #1 piston head is sheared, possibly due to a valve dropping, but they won't know until they take the head off = £120. Considering the option of a new engine rather than spending the money just to take the head off and then to find out its gonna cost an extra couple £100?

Suggestions pls on what I should do?

All depends how much a new engine would be to buy and fit!

Also you may end up having the same problem or different problems with a new engine so there are risks both ways

All depends how much a new engine would be to buy and fit!

Also you may end up having the same problem or different problems with a new engine so there are risks both ways

They said an engine change could cost £1k or more.

Ok get this! Had inspection done as thought was best first step and engine change is bit expensive compared to fixing. They found that a piece of plastic had got wedged inside the engine! They reckon its the manifold breaking inside and would really need replacing.

The manifold that is now on the engine is new as the old one got mashed in the crash. So I think its from the crash that a piece of plastic must have got into the engine and has eventually found its way deep inside. They want £700 now in total, for inspection and now to replace the manifold. Dont think so! They can take the piece of plastic out, put it back together and I'll go else where if the work needs doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought would keep everyone updated;

The valve with the plastic piece has been removed and, fingers crossed, there don't seem to be any damage caused to the valve. All I need to do now is get someone to put it back together. Gonna get timing belt changed as well, might as well while its off!

Got a quote for someone to do the work for about £180, big difference to the £500 the garage quoted me. Hopefully, will be back on the road soon, will keep updated!

well just read through the thread and was expecting the worse.

shouldn't cost too much to have someone wack the head back on and a new timing belt.

good luck!

Sorry to hear about the troubles your having :( I'm pretty sure you can get a engine for abit cheaper than that but like Rikos said there are risks both ways. Do what is most feasible?? either way hope it all goes well :)

well just read through the thread and was expecting the worse.

shouldn't cost too much to have someone wack the head back on and a new timing belt.

good luck!

Hi, yeah finding that out got someone lined up but weighing up all options at the mo.

Sorry to hear about the troubles your having :( I'm pretty sure you can get a engine for abit cheaper than that but like Rikos said there are risks both ways. Do what is most feasible?? either way hope it all goes well :)

Thanks, :) not gonna be jumping in and giving my money away too easily, gotta consider all options.