Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Petrol Gauge

JustJayne01

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2009 Fusion, which has a very temperamental petrol gauge! I will fill up with fuel and it will read 96 miles to empty, I will drive home (3 miles from the garage) park up, my street is level, and the next time I use it, it will have gone down by at least ten miles!

Classic example is Friday. I topped up and it said 76 miles to empty, I used it Saturday and it said 59 (I only went 2 miles!) Used it again yesterday and went on a 10 mile round trip, when I got home it said 59 miles to empty. Got in it this morning and it said `15 miles to empty!!! This afternoon I have driven 6 miles on 0 miles to empty! So, something is seriously wrong somewhere. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2009 Fusion, which has a very temperamental petrol gauge! I will fill up with fuel and it will read 96 miles to empty, I will drive home (3 miles from the garage) park up, my street is level, and the next time I use it, it will have gone down by at least ten miles!

Classic example is Friday. I topped up and it said 76 miles to empty, I used it Saturday and it said 59 (I only went 2 miles!) Used it again yesterday and went on a 10 mile round trip, when I got home it said 59 miles to empty. Got in it this morning and it said `15 miles to empty!!! This afternoon I have driven 6 miles on 0 miles to empty! So, something is seriously wrong somewhere. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Hi JustJayne01.I had a similar problem with a different make of car some years ago , turned out to be a faulty filler cap which for some reason was causing the gauge to be very erratic similar to yours.I suggest as a quick test (or maybe you have noticed) open the filler cap slowly and listen for a hiss of air (or fuel vapour,is the car Petrol or Diesel?)if you hear the hiss then the cap is ok (or so I was told by a mechanic in the garage I brought my car to) hope this is of some help.regards NTech...

Hi JustJayne01.I had a similar problem with a different make of car some years ago , turned out to be a faulty filler cap which for some reason was causing the gauge to be very erratic similar to yours.I suggest as a quick test (or maybe you have noticed) open the filler cap slowly and listen for a hiss of air (or fuel vapour,is the car Petrol or Diesel?)if you hear the hiss then the cap is ok (or so I was told by a mechanic in the garage I brought my car to) hope this is of some help.regards NTech...

Hi NTech, Thanks for your reply. I noticed the "hiss" yesterday for the first time in weeks funnily enough! It's a petrol engine. It still doesn't answer why I go through 79 miles without moving off the street :unsure: though...I wonder if its a computer problem? Think I'll take it into the garage, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else has had a problem first.

Jayne

Hi NTech, Thanks for your reply. I noticed the "hiss" yesterday for the first time in weeks funnily enough! It's a petrol engine. It still doesn't answer why I go through 79 miles without moving off the street :unsure: though...I wonder if its a computer problem? Think I'll take it into the garage, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else has had a problem first.

Jayne

Two other questions ?? Is there a smell of petrol in the car when it is running ?.If there is you need to get it to a "good" garage.

Did the battery ever go flat possibly before this problem started ?.If the battery went flat getting it "jump started" may have

upset the computer or the engine management controller.

Hope these narrow the cause of the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Two other questions ?? Is there a smell of petrol in the car when it is running ?.If there is you need to get it to a "good" garage.

Did the battery ever go flat possibly before this problem started ?.If the battery went flat getting it "jump started" may have

upset the computer or the engine management controller.

Hope these narrow the cause of the problem.

Hi NTech,

No to both your questions I'm afraid!

It's a Motability car, so I've got it booked in at the garage next week. It's permanently on 0 to empty now and I just ignore it because I know I've put more than enough petrol in to cover my journeys I just don't know when it's getting low! Oh well hopefully the garage will get to the bottom of it...watch this space"

Hi JustJayne01.

I hope the garage can sort out the problem for you,I am out of suggestions as to the cause of your problem.

let me know what the result is.NTech.

Hi JustJayne01.

I hope the garage can sort out the problem for you,I am out of suggestions as to the cause of your problem.

let me know what the result is.NTech.

Hi NTech,

So do I, roll on Friday! The problem being that I know I put petrol in, but knowing when it is actually getting low is hard! :rolleyes:

I will let you know, it's booked in for 1pm so hopefully by mid-afternoon I should have the anser...watch this space! Jayne

hi, i was reading this post and it reminded me of a different car forum (peugeot) and someone posted a similar problem...anyways long story short it turned out to be a fuel level sensor in the tank had gone a little messed up. now i dont know if fords use the same tech and method but its an idea.