Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 1.6 Tdci (95Bhp) Mpg Issues, Anyone Else?

happyarthur1979

Iv only ever had the privilege of the m5/m6 junction once, lovely place plenty of time to admire the RAC centre! by the way how much did you HID cost and where did you get it from, any pictures?

The figures for the 1.4 diesel still sound a little low for me. My 1.4 petrol easily sits at 45MPG 2 and from work now that it has settled down with 18000 miles on the clock and thats mostly motorway but stop start on the m60 around manchester. On a run the best I have seen is 54.7 MPG on a run up the M6 to Kendal so the car can get close to the quoted figures although no car ever will as the test for MPG is set to a european standard and bears no relationship what so ever to the real world but gives some overpaid scrounger in europe the sense of doing something useful.

IIRC manufacturer figures are achieved by using the best tuned/lightest vehicle available and have been done on rolling roads? so no wind resistance etc, no one really expects manufacturers figures to be honest do they, it's all game to outdo each other.

IIRC manufacturer figures are achieved by using the best tuned/lightest vehicle available and have been done on rolling roads? so no wind resistance etc, no one really expects manufacturers figures to be honest do they, it's all game to outdo each other.

you're right, the engine isn't even in the car though, they're ran on a dyno machine attached directly to the driveshafts, no need for wheels, so you're gonna get no resistance whatso ever. so the figures are never atainable. but... here's the important part, the reason the mpg figures are calculated like this is because it's the best way to get the fairest resulsts over all manufacturers, so everyone does the same test so you can compare accurately over any car. if manufacturers were to test their mpg figures on the road for publication then varying factors on the day/ the driving style/ anything could throw off the result.

it is misleading, but it allows you to compare other cars as they will never meet their claimed figures either.. (prob only applies to cars produced in the last decade as the focus on economy has become more intense)

you're right, the engine isn't even in the car though, they're ran on a dyno machine attached directly to the driveshafts, no need for wheels, so you're gonna get no resistance whatso ever. so the figures are never atainable. but... here's the important part, the reason the mpg figures are calculated like this is because it's the best way to get the fairest resulsts over all manufacturers, so everyone does the same test so you can compare accurately over any car. if manufacturers were to test their mpg figures on the road for publication then varying factors on the day/ the driving style/ anything could throw off the result.

it is misleading, but it allows you to compare other cars as they will never meet their claimed figures either.. (prob only applies to cars produced in the last decade as the focus on economy has become more intense)

And yet you still manage to beat Ford's mpg :P

And yet you still manage to beat Ford's mpg :P

But at what cost....

I'm always late!!

i do around 450 miles on a tank rather than the 550-600 normally.

Wow, how do you manage that?! I barely get 350 miles from a tank.

My MPG was averaging at 50-54, but recently it's dropped to around 47-48 even though I'm still driving with my foot stuck to the floor. :unsure: I have the old 1.6 TDCI, but it's only done 6000 miles.

Wow, how do you manage that?! I barely get 350 miles from a tank.

Take your foot off the floor, simples :P

My MPG was averaging at 50-54, but recently it's dropped to around 47-48 even though I'm still driving with my foot stuck to the floor. :unsure: I have the old 1.6 TDCI, but it's only done 6000 miles.

Mine was 55ish now 50-53, I put it down to cold weather = longer to warm up engine and uses more fuel.

Take your foot off the floor, simples :P

Mine was 55ish now 50-53, I put it down to cold weather = longer to warm up engine and uses more fuel.

Of course taking my foot of the floor would help, but it's not going to give me nearly 500-600 miles from a tank! Even when I was averaging 54MPG I was only getting about 380 miles. I'm wondering if I have a problem with my car as the MPG seems very low compared to everyone that has posted.

Of course taking my foot of the floor would help, but it's not going to give me nearly 500-600 miles from a tank! Even when I was averaging 54MPG I was only getting about 380 miles. I'm wondering if I have a problem with my car as the MPG seems very low compared to everyone that has posted.

At 54mpg you should be getting at least 400 miles before the fuel light comes on. If you can get 54mpg but choose not to I don't think there's a problem with your car?

EDIT: I've added together the mpg of everyone that has replied and the average is 54mpg.

Can I ask how you're working your mpg out? If your car says 54mpg but you have to fill up after 380 miles there is something wrong. Mpg should be worked out by brimming the tank, driving till almost empty, recording your mileage & brimming the tank again. You then have the number of litres used and the miles driven.

Divide the number of litres on the 2nd fill by 4.54 to work out the number of gallons.

Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons used.

I've found that when i leave my lead boots in the house my MPG does go up to about 54 MPG, but it makes me feel old to drive that carefully, so i generally stick to the lead boots. You could always take ford up on there "offer" to monitor your driving style, this should tell you if it's you or the car. Offer = pay us £30, but you get £15 BP voucher.

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/FordEconoCheck

I've found that when i leave my lead boots in the house my MPG does go up to about 54 MPG, but it makes me feel old to drive that carefully, so i generally stick to the lead boots. You could always take ford up on there "offer" to monitor your driving style, this should tell you if it's you or the car. Offer = pay us £30, but you get £15 BP voucher.

http://www.ford.co.u.../FordEconoCheck

+ £15 off next service = free!

Did mine a week ago, just waiting for results.

Mine averages 69mpg had a few 70mpgs, this weeks has been a lot lower though due to the high winds we've had taking me down to low 60s. So far from a refuel this week i've struggled to get over 60 as i seem to be into a head wind going to work, and the A158 being blocked for repairs has sent me cross country on more windy/twisty roads which i don't mind for the fun factor.

Yeh sorry i didn't mean that driving at 70 is as efficient as 56 what i meant is alot more fuel is lost if you rant to get to the 56/70 than driving at 70 for 10 miles would do. I cant comment on specifics but i know my local sainsburys both mine and my girlfriends car hates the fuel i do around 450 miles on a tank rather than the 550-600 normally.

Also 56 is more safe than 70 imo as in the majority of accidents on motorways are either excess speed or accidents with larger vehicles, all UK lorries SHOULD be limited to 56mph and therefore tuck in between some lorries and watch the fuel save even more as air flow is reduced, BUT DONT TAIL GATE STUPIDLY just keep the 2 seconds and then you will have no need to be braking.

Tuning boxes, i was tempted but decided against it until i have a feel for the engine as in i know all is well with it and i know what is its normal operating measurements such as revs etc, also be warned they could potentially void your warranty but i don't think the OBD logs them specifically unless you are silly and leave it in when you take it for a service.

Anthony

That's a good idea, its always better to learn the characteristics of your own engine, one thing I learned about mine is that there was a dead spot from around 1000rpm to 1400rpm, which meant I would have to floor it when making a quick jump out at a roundabout or junction in turn lowering my mpg figure. The tuning box I fitted has removed the dead spot completely, it will pull away safely at just 1000rpm. That's the trick with tuning boxes, they don't work with black magic, its all about using the extra torque and power to get you the same speed without using as much throttle and it seriously does work.

I presume it would void your warranty if someone at the dealership discovered it, I bought an extension cable with mine so I can remove the box but leave the wiring in place making it unnoticeable. Removing the whole thing every time it went near a dealer would be a real pig as its an extremely difficult job to remove and refit, and yes its completely untraceable through OBD or ECU logs.

I couldn't recommend mine enough :)

PS current mpg figure is at 53.1 thats only town driving

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my 10 plate fiesta for a week now i ran it down when i got it i filled it up 38.05 litres = 8.5 gallon only got 390 miles out of it.

So i was only getting 47 mile to the gallon and i drive mostly motorway.

So i had a trip into the steelers they said cold weather new engine it should get alot better return after about 10000 to 15000 miles on the clock when it is run in and the weather gets better. will wait and see i know one thing the car doesent like v power so i have allways used tesco diesel and never had a problem so filled up to day and see what i get out of it then.

Well i picked the car up with 1900 on the clock would it be wise to get a ecu reset.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All...

Am a little confused by the figures your stating...

The 1.6tdi is giving you about 380 miles to a 40 litre tank yes?

The only reason I ask is I am looking at getting a 1.6tdci for the fuel economy but am a bit worried by the figers stated.

MY current car an Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 Turbo gets me around 400 Miles to a tank which is 40 litres or 45 litres...

I'm doing about 400 miles a week and am looking at cutting my bill..

With the 1.6tdci 90 engine, I would regularly get 65mpg on a mixed run. However running my new Zetec S 1.6tdci 95 engine, I am lucky to eevr exceed 53mpg. For an eco car, that isn't great. I would get 53 from my 1.9JTD (150) Alfa.....but admittedly, with more torque its not a fair comparison.

Although its a good little car, I am underwhelmed with the MPG, especially when I was over the moon with the MPG on the 90 engine.

Urban Fuel54.3 mpg

Extra Urban78.5 mpg

these are the stated figures for the 95 ps engine, so people getting 54 should be more than happy, in fact getting over 50 is good as you nearly never acheive what the manufacturer states

Urban Fuel54.3 mpg

Extra Urban78.5 mpg

these are the stated figures for the 95 ps engine, so people getting 54 should be more than happy, in fact getting over 50 is good as you nearly never acheive what the manufacturer states

Yes so the Urban fuel figure is stop start driving, a & b roads etc so the 54mpg quoted should be the absolute minimum we should be achieving.

Ford state the combined economy is 67mpg - a mix of Urban & Extra Urban (i.e all types of roads, everyday driving) so we should be getting somewhere near that figure.

In my case I struggle to get above 50mpg (and if I wasn't concious of it, a lot less) so I cannot get anywhere near Fords LOWEST mpg figure.

So I dont agree people getting 54mpg should be more than happy as we could have all bought the 1.4 petrol which achieves 47mpg and saved a fortune on purchase price.

I bought the car to save a bit of cash at the pumps and expected somewhere around 60mpg regularly, I cant even get close. So yes I do feel a bit mislead when purchasing the car as it cannot do as advertised and for brand new 1.6 diesel engine in a small car 50mpg is !Removed! poor.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Urban Fuel54.3 mpg

Extra Urban78.5 mpg

Hi my name is smudge140 and i am also unhappy about fords mpg figures as they are unnatainable i have a fiesta econetic and the combined figure is 76 mpg but i am only getting 54 mpg on motorway at 65 and through town with light traffic. Having an eco test at the moment but am doubting my decision to buy an econetic

We have these threads pop up all the time. Here's just a little bit of information for those questioning the figures and hopefully it will sink in for some of you.

ALL MANUFACTURER MPG/ECONOMY FIGURES ARE ATTAINED ON A ROLLING ROAD IN LABORATORY CONDITIONS TO STANDARDISE THE TESTS. THEY ARE NOT DONE ON NORMAL ROADS AS THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO CROSS REFERENCE ONE SET OF FIGURES TO ANOTHER, THEREFORE BEING OF NO USE WHATSOEVER.

THEY ARE GUIDLINES AND OFFER COMPARISONS FROM ONE MANUFACTURER TO ANOTHER, THAT IS ALL. THEY ARE RARELY ACHIEVABLE BECAUSE OF HOW THE FIGURES ARE ATTAINED SO WOULD PEOPLE ACTUALLY REALISE THIS AND IF YOU'RE WORRIED THAT YOUR CAR IS DOING 2 MPG LESS THAN WHAT A BROCHURE SAYS, GET A LIFE!!!!

• Like 1

Just wanted to make my point from earlier in the thread known again for the people who are lazy enough not to read again (hense keith having to post) It is possible to almost achieve Ford figures and probably possible it depends on how and where you drive, read my post earlier for info about my 1.6tdci 95ps engine and normally (non snow) i get anywhere between 60-67 mpg per tank on a split of 1/3 motorway 1/3 a roads and 1/3 town. i wont go on again about it but if you as some people have openly admitted drive with your foot welded to the floor you will off course get rubbish MPG, also you say you do 65mph on a motorway i know the econetic is more tuned but id still imagine at that speed the turbo is spooling as in my titanium it kicks in at about 61mph, a turbo does not lead to excellent fuel efficiency which is why another tip il add that i do is change up early if you rev to 2k revs like most people in diesels seem to the turbo will begin to spool every time wasting fuel personally i change up at 1.2-1.4k rpm and that means i am in fifth by 30mph obviously this does not count when joining motorways etc but you get my drift.

So in conclusion if i may.

If you have a Ford Fiesta 1.6tdci you should never expect to get the 70 odd mpg unless you are driving in such a way that you know you are trying to drive economically, I love my car and its engine for the flexibility, i can drive eco and get the 67mpg or i can drive with 'sprit', get 55mpg and have a fun time in quite a sporty car.

Do not come on here and start a new topic moaninjg about your MPG look at this thread in total pages 1-4 and you will see what people on average are getting and tips from other people on how you can improve so stop moaning and start reading!

Oh and finally for you econetic owners, Ford Econetic is a brand image it isnt some new amazing super engine that means your car is a new amazing machine all it means is you are lucky enouph to get free road tax and if you drive sensibly you will get a bit better than the normal 1.6tdci but in reality does the cost savings cover the more expensive tyres and adding all the aftermarket stuff because it lacks basic features standard in zetec and titatnium trim?

Hi, I have the 1.25 version of the new Fiesta nad are having the same problems with poor MPG (Was getting around 42 MPG in the last model Fiesta - only aroung 36 MPG in this one!) Would it be worth trying an octane booster or injector cleaner in my car? It has only done 3000 miles, though.........