3 replies to this topic

#1 lucas1787

lucas1787

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

Hi, I have noticed that in the mornings when I start my car(Focus 1.6 Zetec), the gauge needles fly off the scale and then back to start and then act normal.If I turn the key to lights on, they act normal,its only when I turn the key they fly right round and back.Im thinking poss battery issue????. Has anyone had this or know why its happeaning.Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

When the gauge needles sweep on their own, it usually means either the CHT sensor cable (located in middle of spark plugs) is in contact with the HT leads (that go to spark plugs). Once you seperate them so there not making contact using a cable tie etc they should be ok. The other suggestion would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor.

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

When the gauge needles sweep on their own, it usually means either the CHT sensor cable (located in middle of spark plugs) is in contact with the HT leads (that go to spark plugs). Once you seperate them so there not making contact using a cable tie etc they should be ok. The other suggestion would be a faulty vehicle speed sensor.

the dials sweeping is a diagnostic mode and usually points to an incorrect battery type ie a lead battery instead of a lead/silver calcim battery or a faulty battery cell even kwik fit will stick the tester on and tell you if you have a faulty cell

#4 lucas1787

lucas1787

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

the dials sweeping is a diagnostic mode and usually points to an incorrect battery type ie a lead battery instead of a lead/silver calcim battery or a faulty battery cell even kwik fit will stick the tester on and tell you if you have a faulty cell

Had battery tested and is ok,but when the cars warm, it tends not to do it.Any other suggestions???

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users