Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka 1998 Spark Plugs Maintenance

ek_1986

Hi all,

Having just bought a little runner – 1998 Ford Ka 1.3 Petrol, I am planning to do some works and needed a bit of advice please.

I would like to change:

1) Spark Plugs – Could you someone tell me how easy it is to access on the car and any pointers on replacing them. I don’t think the car has EVER had them changed as I cant see any indication in the service history...

2) Air filter – would be grateful if someone could tell where it is? Is it worth replacing OEM or going aftermarket? I have a BMW E46 330D and have been using an aftermarket Pippercross is washable : - ) – I know the KA is a different kettle of fish but just want to get your thoughts

3) Lastly, I would like to clean the MAF sensor as I am guessing it will be very dirty – where is it on the KA?

Any photos or links to walkthroughs would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Having just bought a little runner – 1998 Ford Ka 1.3 Petrol, I am planning to do some works and needed a bit of advice please.

I would like to change:

1) Spark Plugs – Could you someone tell me how easy it is to access on the car and any pointers on replacing them. I don’t think the car has EVER had them changed as I cant see any indication in the service history...

2) Air filter – would be grateful if someone could tell where it is? Is it worth replacing OEM or going aftermarket? I have a BMW E46 330D and have been using an aftermarket Pippercross is washable : - ) – I know the KA is a different kettle of fish but just want to get your thoughts

3) Lastly, I would like to clean the MAF sensor as I am guessing it will be very dirty – where is it on the KA?

Any photos or links to walkthroughs would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

1. dead easy to change as there right at the front of the engine, they may be very tight so be carfull they dont snap.

2. again easy to change, of top of my head I think its to the right of the engine bay (someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. this is on the bit of pipe going from the air filter to the engine (throttle body), it has a wire/connector on it aswell and held in place by two jublee clips, be carfull cleaning this as it's delicate and should only be wiped clean lightly,minding the little prod in the center.

extra info, non engine, check under/inside the rear wheel arches both sides, they tend to rust through under there and often get overlooked.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply – I’ve been extremely busy with work lately. Thanks for the advice guys!

Having had a little time on my hands over the weekend, I changed the air filter (very easy job, well compared to a 3 Series filter).

I have bought a set of Bosch plugs and intend to change them. You guys were right about the plugs being tight on! Im a little worried about trying to loosen them incase I snap them..

Piggy – I’ve bought some Doublr TT oil lube to try and loosen the plugs. I will try again next weekend, if there is no luck, I might just see about a mechanic to change plugs – would rather it be them that risk breaking it than me :s