Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Normal To Use Oil

pid

Hi all

Do high milage mk1's use oil??

Mine has 122k on the clock now and I feel like I'm always topping it up it's not using coolant at all?? Any thoughts

Hi Pid

don't know if it's normal. but it is acceptable to use 10w/40 semi rather than 5w/30 thats recommended.

so i would try 10w/40 as it is a high milage car.

tom

Zetec engines are well known to use oil over time but not excessively. On my 116,000 mile 1.6 Focus (52 plate) I have not really noticed any reduction in oil at all since owning it now for the past 6 months. Only stick to 5w30 oil as this oil is what the Zetec engines were designed to run on regardless of the mileage. 10w40 is to be used only during emergencies and should be replaced asap with the correct 5w30 grade oil and 10w40 should never be used a perminant or long term replacement.

If you are worried about your oil then check around to see if their are any oil leaks, or book the car into the garage for an inspection. As worse case scenario, it could be something more serious to do with the engine that it making it consume oil excessively.

Liam

Cheers mate

See I whacked bout 5 litres in over 2mths mayb longer and this is after a service. I'm not getting excessive smoke or exhaust that smells of oil!

I have been using Halfords 5w30 for fords in it don't know if it prone to burning?

There's no obvious leaks when I've had it parked for a while or up the ramps at work???

Could it b piston rings passing or where else could it go?

Cheers mate

See I whacked bout 5 litres in over 2mths mayb longer and this is after a service. I'm not getting excessive smoke or exhaust that smells of oil!

I have been using halfords 5w30 for fords in it don't know if it prone to burning?

There's no obvious leaks when I've had it parked for a while or up the ramps at work???

Could it b piston rings passing or where else could it go?

just for clarification please read attached. i am not givng missinformation.

tom

post-13968-007965500 1290937691_thumb.jp

I know your not giving out misleading information, I only know about the oil myself as in my owners manual it stated that 5w30 was the correct grade to use and say if in an emergency or if 5w30 was unavaliable, 10w40 would be suitable to use temporarily and to replace it back with 5w30 asap.

The Halfords stuff is fine to use, my Mum's 1.25 Fiesta runs on the Halfords 5w30 oil and I've never noticed any reduction in oil at all when I check her car out once a month. Have you noticed any blue smoke coming from your exhaust at all? As this would indicate that the engine is burning oil.

Liam

I'd second that about Halfords oil, its perfectly fine. Its not like the Halfords saturday boy makes it out back! It comes from the same place as the leading brands albeit without some of the fancy additives the premium brands charge for.

No the only smoke I get is White while the car is warming up once at temp there's nowt even had a mate follow me on a back road blast and motor way and nothing.

That's what throwing me where is the oil going

My next step when I go back to work is clean the engine best I can so I can see if there is any leaks (I've not seen any before)

Then I stuck for ideas!

Hi Liam

what i am saying is that on such a high milage car there is always some wear so putting a slightly thicker oil in may benefit.

my own car Mondeo 2.0 diesel 20k miles recommended oil is 5w/30 semi i run with 5w/40 fully synth with no problems as this is also alternative

tom

So a oil change and run 5w/40 fully syn? That can b done with out to much trouble.

I thinking an engine swap to a lower milage engine is there many 1.6 zetec lumps about iv seen loads in car breakers??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club