Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Break,engine Light Comes On At Traffic Light

Shahed Khan

Hi Guys not sure if anyone has posted this but I really need your help guys, I have got slight problem, when I am driving my ford focus about 70-80mph and when I stop at traffic light, my battery,engine oil light comes on and the steering wheel goes real tight then I have to press the GAS really hard to move again and then its fine, when I am driving locally 30-40MPH its completely fine I have attached a picture of which lights come on. any one had this similar issue???

Thanks in Advance

post-18330-064409300 1290892409_thumb.jp

Sounds like Aux belt or maybe tensioner related to me as the Power Steering is being affected and it's causing the battery light to come on as well as the same belt runs the alternator to charge the battery as well. Get it booked into a garage to get it checked out but my guess this either the Aux belt or the tensioner.

Liam

Hi Guys not sure if anyone has posted this but I really need your help guys, I have got slight problem, when I am driving my ford focus about 70-80mph and when I stop at traffic light, my battery,engine oil light comes on and the steering wheel goes real tight then I have to press the GAS really hard to move again and then its fine, when I am driving locally 30-40MPH its completely fine I have attached a picture of which lights come on. any one had this similar issue???

Thanks in Advance

sounds like a good call from liam, however you can see your belt on the drivers side of the engine to do some fault diadnosis yourself. also if you go underneath the car same side you will see a plastic cover over the bottom end of the belt, held on with two 10mm head bolts (i think) pop this off and you can get to view the tensioner. the belt obviously needs to be in good condition, no cracks, splits. the tensioner should preload the belt, using a 15mm spanner on the bolt head at the centre of the tensioner pulley, turn the tensionr clockwise this will unload the belt. there is a fairly hefty spring in the tensioner but you should see the load on the belt "ease", slowly let the tensioner retun to its position and it should load the belt. there is an idler pulley to the right of the alternator, the bearings have been known to wear in this, aswell as in the tensioner, however if your not getting any wierd noises from the aux belt area then its unlikely to be a bearing failure in a pulley. have a good look around, if its only a belt circa £20 should sort it out. Tensioner from ford costs a small fortune however aftermarket ones cost around £70. If you half handy with a decent socket set and a haines manual this repair is easily carried out.

hope this helps locate the problem

Great advice guys thanks, by any chance could it do with the battery? i don't think its ever been replaced, usually when i put the heater on and the foot break on the light goes abit deem

Great advice guys thanks, by any chance could it do with the battery? i don't think its ever been replaced, usually when i put the heater on and the foot break on the light goes abit deem

the heater is a fairly heavy amp eater but if your car is starting fine then you must be getting some form of charge to the battery from the alternator, i really suspect that there is a problem with the aux belt, idler or tensioner which you should easily be able to identify, hopefully just a raggy belt and a quick fix!

Rite guys I took it to my Garage today and they a good look, they have took something out apparently where the air gets in and gave it a good clean as you can notice I am not technical and don't know about cars as much lol but it seems like its fixed now hopefully it should be ok now, thanks guys for your support :D

Rite guys I took it to my Garage today and they a good look, they have took something out apparently where the air gets in and gave it a good clean as you can notice I am not technical and don't know about cars as much lol but it seems like its fixed now hopefully it should be ok now, thanks guys for your support :D

good you got it sorted for next to nothing, hope its cured for good, sounds like it had a serious dose of asthma!!!!

Lol yeah gotta say Love my ford thou no matter what and this site is awesome

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought ill let you guys know it was my ICV (IDLE CONTROL VALVE) needed to be replaced :D

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club