• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stuffandblah

stuffandblah

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

Can anyone give me an idea of the kind of common faults with the latest focus please?

I have a mark 2 1.8 TDCI focus, which over the years I've had a few mechanical things go wrong such as DMF, clutch, intercooler, etc... I'm looking to get a 2007/2008 focus. Is the 2.0 TDCI a good engine?

Cheers

Dave

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI
Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

Can anyone give me an idea of the kind of common faults with the latest focus please?

I have a mark 2 1.8 TDCI focus, which over the years I've had a few mechanical things go wrong such as DMF, clutch, intercooler, etc... I'm looking to get a 2007/2008 focus. Is the 2.0 TDCI a good engine?

Cheers

Dave

The 2.0 is a more modern design and you'll probably notice its more refined and quieter than the 1.8 with a good step in performance as well. The problems you describe with your 1.8 are sadly common to a lot of diesel engines nowadays. The only real specific problem with the 2.0 TDCI will be leaking injector seals and split intercooler pipes. These will be easy to spot/hear. Other problems (such as dpf and dmf) are again common diesel problems. Just make sure the car has a service history and that it behaves well on the test drive. Otherwise the engine has lots of pull and is fuel efficient.

#3 stuffandblah

stuffandblah

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info.
Does the 2.0 TDCI have a DPF, or is this only on specific models?

I know the VAG 2.0 TDI 170 have a few problems with DPF and a few people are getting them removed and remapped. Are people getting similar issues on the ford range?

Does make me wonder if I should just get a petrol to be honest.

#4 hillmangimp

hillmangimp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCI
Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

If you're looking at 2007/2008 then its extremely liklely it will have a dpf as thats when Ford started making them standard on the 2.0 tdci, prior to that it was an option on this engine. Look the 2.0 tdci is a grat engine if its reliable, however moden day diesels are not as robust as they should be. When they go wrong its a big repair bill in a lot of cases. I have a 2.0 tdci and the performance is strong but If I was buying for me I would not buy diesel (unless its a VAG PDI unit). Petrol is more expensive on fuel and tax but much easier and cheaper to maintian.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users