Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 Tdci Titanium Fuel Economy

Brierls

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me! ;-)

I've just bought a 10-Reg Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium with 2000 miles on the clock, and have a couple of questions on the fuel tank capacity and fuel economy. On a full tank, the computer displays something around "460 miles until empty" before I've gone anyway, and from the two long motorway journey's I've done so far (usually averaging 80mph on a 450 mile round trip Rochdale to Weybridge) this seems to be pretty accurate. That can't be right, surely? (no Leslie Nielsen jokes required). From what I've read, the fuel tank on the Focus is 53 liters(?), which would mean a MPG figure of around 39.5MPG for a (mostly) motorway run?

I sold a 55-Reg Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm to get the Focus, the main reason being the number of miles I'm now covering. I was getting 520 miles per (63 liter) tank for the same weekly journey in the Alfa, and I expected the Focus to be better. Am I being too optimistic?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Its a pain because I'm having to fill up twice now for the weekly journey when previously it only took one full tank.

Cheers,

Gary

Ive got a 2005 2.0 TDCi on 56,000miles and Im currently doing 420 miles to 41 litres of fuel which was 46.5 miles to the gallon, this is the best I have achieved so far on a long journey doing motorway speeds.

When I first bought my 2.0 TDCI, the computer would show 550 miles till empty when the tank was full. over recent months the car has been used to do shorther journeys and will show 400-450 miles till empty. I think the trip computer works on averages and calculates distance till empty based on this and not on actual tank capacity. i.e if I started doing longer journeys it will start saying between 500-550 miles till empty. On longer journeys the av. mpg has been high 40's to early 60's.

Thanks chaps. In this instance I wouldn't mind the "460 miles until empty" being inaccurate, its the fact that its pretty much bang on that's worrying me a little! I'm expecting to get more than 40MPG on a motorway run. :o

Thanks chaps. In this instance I wouldn't mind the "460 miles until empty" being inaccurate, its the fact that its pretty much bang on that's worrying me a little! I'm expecting to get more than 40MPG on a motorway run. :o

As the car has only done 2000 miles I woudn't worry too much at this stage, it should improve as the engine loosens up.

As the car has only done 2000 miles I woudn't worry too much at this stage, it should improve as the engine loosens up.

Thanks. I knew diesel engines needed 'running in', but thought this was more performance related rather than economy (this was certainly the case with the Alfa, performance really picked up after 40,000 miles or so). I've had two diesels prior to the Focus, a 2003 VW Golf GT TDi 130 (18000 miles) and the 2005 Alfa GT JTDm (6000 miles), and they've both returned at least close to the quoted figures on a motorway run from the moment I drove them. Any idea on mileage when the engine can be considered 'loose'? i.e. how long should I wait before taking it into Ford and bleating about the economy? :D