#16 Nay ZS

Nay ZS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Zetec S

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

On a side note - I really can't understand why Ford opted to use drum brakes on the rear of the Fiesta right from base model to Titanium and ZS.

For a car that appears to be a luke-warm hatch (ZS) the rear drum brakes grinning through the 17" wheels avec low profile tyres makes it look a little meek in my opinion.
Perhaps it was cost saving, maybe it was deemed unnecessary due to the overall weight and how it's spread over the car.

Anyway, despite the rear drum brakes I find the braking capability surprisingly good.
Progressive with plenty of feel, with no excessive pedal travel.
I'm not long on my second set of discs and pads since they were changed at the 37,500 mile service interval.
No problems to report here.

:)

The rear drums with the 17 inch wheels is a bugbear for me too. I would love to have painted blue discs all round. Seems like a cost thing to and takes away from the sporty look of the car imo. Many argue that it's not fast enough to need them and they may be correct however for looks they should have put them on their sporty warmhatch. Would give the car a much more OEM look. Heres some cars around our spec and level of sportiness that have disc brakes all round.

Fiat Panda 100
Renault Clio Dynamique S and GT 133
Renault Twingo 133
Toyota Yaris SR
Citroen C2 VTR and VTS
Mini Cooper
VW Polo SEL
Seat Ibiza 1.6 CRDI
Audi A1

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Creepy Coupe

Creepy Coupe

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Name: Del
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi everyone, newbe here. I thought I'd add my two penneth worth. My wife has just sold her 2010 1.4 TDCi (long story) and bought a 2010 Zetec S.

I have just spent most of the weekend removing the rear drums and adjusting the shoes and handbrake, in an attempt to reduce the brake pdeal travel, which has already been mentioned. Is much more than in the same car, but with a different engine.

Her 1.4 TDCi was a little too sharp at slow speeds, however the S is the opposite.

Adjsuting helped a little, so I bled the system all round. However things didn't improve that much.

I find the pedal travel excessive and can't remember another car having that amount.
I'm assuming there is an actuation rod that works on the servo, when the pedal is depressed. Does anyone know if this is adjustable?

Many thanks

CC

#18 John W brown

John W brown

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TCDI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

My brake pedal seems to have a fair bit of movement before anything much happens - feels like at least 2-3 centimetres - during which they have very little impact. For instance, just rolling down my drive at 1-2 mph I have to press the pedal a fair way to actually stop before going into the road (and I'm barely even on a slope). Also, I have to use a fair bit of pressure (and further movement) to achieve any braking force that can really be felt. I was kind of expecting more efficiency from a new car (thinking back and comparing to my old 2001 Fiesta, there's not a huge difference unless pressing really hard).

The zetec-s demo model I test drove before buying was similar; the pedal on that seemed to move a fair bit without anything happening, then you press it slightly more and they come on heavily almost throwing you forwards. In contrast, the zetec I had as a courtesy car a few weeks back had a much stiffer pedal that wouldn't move without a bit of pressure, and brakes that came on as soon as the pedal did move.

I'm also comparing this to an S reg peugeot I had as a courtesy car when my old one was being serviced a few years back - they were very light to press, even for hard braking (for gentle braking I couldn't even feel the pedal moving!). I guess this was my mental benchmark for what to expect from a new car, but none of the 3 I've driven seem anywhere near this efficient/light...

How do yours compare - is there a difference between the zetec and zetec-s at all? And sorry for the long post!

Hi,

I have this problem with my 2009 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TCDI, since owning the car (it was 7 months old with 7000 miles on the clock) I have always complained about the long travel before the brakes come on. It is quite alarming especially when motorway driving and having to stick the brakes on suddenly. it feels the pedal is going through the floor.

I have bled the brakes twice, only a very small amount of air, manually adjusted the rear shoes, but all this does not help.

My last Fiesta Flame was far superior to this one for brakes?????

I have just ordered a set og Goodridge brake hoses to see if this will fix the problem.

I will let you know after receiving and fitting

John

#19 John W brown

John W brown

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TCDI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Have now received and fitted the Goodridge hoses, a bit better but has not removed that awful brake travel.

#20 bootsy

bootsy

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.5 Td Econetic
  • Year: 2013

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

I have a Zetec first registered march 2013 and have noticed the brake travel, i put it down to maybe the disc pads bedding in maybe but i have done 4k and its still the same, i have also noticed on ours that the handbrake travel is a lot. The brakes allthough work fine do seam like our old car (not a Ford) before we had all the brakes replaced and adjusted.

#21 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

To all who have this problem,,,,,,, my car had it when I bought it, and dealer said they would fix it before I picked it up. They ended up taking it into ford, and the hydraulic control unit (abs pump) was diagnosed. Apparently its a common problem on the fiesta's, although within warranty the dealer won't admit it. Its a costly part, mine was £330, then the labour, but luckily picked up by the garage I purchased the car from. Symptoms for me were the same as described in this topic, with alot of travel in the  brake pedal before any actual breaking. Also felt spongy to press. After the part was fitted the pedal was still travelling quite a bit, so back to fords it went, and they did a pressure bleed on it, which greatly improved things, all is ok now. Hope this helps.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users