Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chip In Windscreen

the_gould

What should i do?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should i get the window Repaired or Replaced???

• Repair
    • Replace

Hi folks

I have the ST2 with heated quick clear front windscreen

Some of the elements on the quick clear dont work

I have noticed a chip today and its spreading

here is the Question

Do i

A: Get a free repair and keep the problem with the elements that are not working on the windscreen

OR OR OR OR OR

B: Wait to see if it spreads any futher and call insurance pay £70 and have a brand new window with all heating elements in the windscreen working ??

let me know your opinion folks

thanks

Hi folks

I have the ST2 with heated quick clear front windscreen

Some of the elements on the quick clear dont work

I have noticed a chip today and its spreading

here is the Question

Do i

A: Get a free repair and keep the problem with the elements that are not working on the windscreen

OR OR OR OR OR

B: Wait to see if it spreads any futher and call insurance pay £70 and have a brand new window with all heating elements in the windscreen working ??

let me know your opinion folks

thanks

you need it fixed either way if you get the windscreen replaced under youre insurance they will not fit a heated windscreen back on the car as its not standard on the whole range that may have changed but diont bet on it either way what you have doesnt work right anyway get it repaired asap mate it will smash in these temps and youll have more hassle than you really want given the choices pay the 70 quid and do ity quick

you need it fixed either way if you get the windscreen replaced under youre insurance they will not fit a heated windscreen back on the car as its not standard on the whole range that may have changed but diont bet on it either way what you have doesnt work right anyway get it repaired asap mate it will smash in these temps and youll have more hassle than you really want given the choices pay the 70 quid and do ity quick

yeah i know it needs done

the heated windscreen i standard for my model and i am 100% sure they will put on what they take off

yeah i know it needs done

the heated windscreen i standard for my model and i am 100% sure they will put on what they take off

if they will replace like for like including wiring it up pay the 70 quid heated screens cost a damn site more to replace chip repairs are fine but they are still visible and in this cold weather they struggle to get the stuff they use to fill it to set ide go for the new screen mate eventually it would need a new one and youll have the heating element working. i just say as many have had an issue with the insurance fitting the screen but not actually connecting the wiring for the element up or refusing to fit a heated screen and replacing with just a standard one

if they will replace like for like including wiring it up pay the 70 quid heated screens cost a damn site more to replace chip repairs are fine but they are still visible and in this cold weather they struggle to get the stuff they use to fill it to set ide go for the new screen mate eventually it would need a new one and youll have the heating element working. i just say as many have had an issue with the insurance fitting the screen but not actually connecting the wiring for the element up or refusing to fit a heated screen and replacing with just a standard one

Cool - its weird sometime how far companies will go to save a buck

its with elephant. i had a replacment last year of a non heated screen and was ok

I think i will go down that route and just pay the £70 for it

cheers

heres the catch, £70 is your windscreen excess, but what cost of windscreen will they replace? those heated screens are not cheap and you might find yourself forking out more than £70 to replace it.

my windscreen excess is £70 also but im only covered up to something like £250

How much does a standard windscreen cost to buy? Much more than £70 I can guarantee (autoglass quoted me £200 just for a standard screen on my old Fiesta) but the insurance companies still do not make you pay the extra do they? So if you choose to claim on your insurance, state on the phone that your Focus came with a heated front screen from the factory and state to them that this is the replacement you want & should have - they should agree to this and if not, don't accept the standard one and take it up with the supervisor stating this and you can also prove that your car had the heated front screen as well because you had the switch for it inside the car and you also have the wiring built in - worst comes to the worst take some photos for proof.

Liam

I have a friend who has a mini cooper, Autoglass quoted hm £700 for replacement heated windscreen! :blink:

He was with Admiral and they replaced like for like for £75 excess.

I have a friend who has a mini cooper, Autoglass quoted hm £700 for replacement heated windscreen! :blink:

He was with Admiral and they replaced like for like for £75 excess.

i think you will be best check out what they will and wont cover.

if they will replace it for £70, i would go for it

i would ring the windscreen damage claim line in the insurance handbook (if you have one), my windscreen excess was £100 but went down to £50 using that helpline.

ask them if they would replace like for like if they say yes...book it. go outside and land a brick on the day before they turn up...or do what you plan

when i did mine on my old peugeot a few month back i got it upgraded to pink glass, apparently its better as it stops hot spots from the sun. when they asked what happened out of curiousity i just said i was following a lorry and a stone hit the screen.

the company didnt take a report of how the damage was caused or really care, the tech just asked out of curiosity and replaced my windscreen and was paid the £50 excess (receipt given).

liking the replys

had it done once a year ago to my old car. its cracked wide open and they replaced it like for like

didnt even ask what i had or so on. the insurance company didnt even really take notice in it

just the glass company done it all

will get onto it soon but.

it came along at the right time i think

keep the stories coming.

good tip about sending photos for the clear windscreen heaters to sprove its a standard

• 3 weeks later...

I had an accident recently, and after a small knock, the bonnet came back and cracked the windscreen underneath the bonnet line!

Long story short, insurance companies are idiots, and after a massive fight with my dealer carrying out the repairs, they eventually forked out for a heated windscreen. Ford fitted it as part of the repair process, but yeah, the wiring would be there, the button will be quite a giveaway, and if all else fails, if you are friendly with your local dealer as I am, they may be able to stand your case, and argue the fact that it is dealer spec, coming from a dealer, they cant argue with it! and they may charge you a few quid for spending a few minutes on the phone, or dropping an email. would rather give them a few pounds, than find out the insurance idiots wont cover it and have to fork out the cost of a new car, on just replacing the windscreen!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club