Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused, Water Pump Knackered, Smokey Exhaust

nikkob

Hope someone has an idea on this.

Noticed quite a bit of white smoke coming out of exhaust of our 2002 Focus 1.8 ghia (55000 miles), I checked coolant and oil, coolant was low and oil looked fine - no milky/creamy deposits.

There was also a rattling coming from the side of the engine.

A mechanic has had a look at it, his diagnosis is the water pump is on its way out (rattling noise) and he pointed out where the coolant was leaking from - where the water pump meets the engine I think (i am no mechanic).

He thought the engine sounded fine and the exhaust might just be condensation.

He is going to replace the water pump, the cam belt (as this has never been changed), the fan belt and give the car a service.

Could the white smoke coming from the exhaust be linked to the knackered/leaky water pump?

Hi Nikkob

white "smoke" coming from the exhaust in this weather we have been having is probably nothing more than condensation "steam"which is just showing up because of the cold (have a look at some other cars theirs will be pretty much the same).

as for water pump you will have to take the mechanics word for it.

but it does sound from what you say that this is the problem.

tom

Hope someone has an idea on this.

Noticed quite a bit of white smoke coming out of exhaust of our 2002 Focus 1.8 ghia (55000 miles), I checked coolant and oil, coolant was low and oil looked fine - no milky/creamy deposits.

There was also a rattling coming from the side of the engine.

A mechanic has had a look at it, his diagnosis is the water pump is on its way out (rattling noise) and he pointed out where the coolant was leaking from - where the water pump meets the engine I think (i am no mechanic).

He thought the engine sounded fine and the exhaust might just be condensation.

He is going to replace the water pump, the cam belt (as this has never been changed), the fan belt and give the car a service.

Could the white smoke coming from the exhaust be linked to the knackered/leaky water pump?

its minus god knows out there so is it white smoke or just steam from hot exhaust gasses meeting the freezing cold air oils fine no oil loss no residue i doubt very much if its anything more than the cold weather it takes around 15 miles to burn the condensation out of an exhaust and in this weather there will still be steam just look at all the other cars they will be the samesave youreself the cash ford will replace the water pump and thermostat and coolant for 180 quid its best having all that done with the genuine ford parts most garages use cheap nasty coolant they dont change the thermostst which if it gets stuck which it will eventually means a complete drain of the system much more cost effective to have it all done the timing belt must be done as a kit and not just the belt again ide only take it to ford 220 quid got me whole kit new belt and tensioner camshft bolts etc new fan belt thats parts and labour garages replace the belt and leave the rest 10k miles later the tensioner goes and the engines ruined plus if done by ford the belts gauranteed to last 100k or 10 years

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club