Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Help

WHITEyy118

I mentioned this problem before and didn't really get an answer.

My problem is occasionally after the car has just started the steering feels heavy and like there is resistance when turning right, while turning left is fine. But the problem isn't always noticeable and most of the time doesn't occur. Like the video below but I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen when stationary (as not really tested).

I've thought maybe its the steering rack or the pump but could it be anything else? I'm thinking that because it's not constant and all the time that it may just be a sign of early pump failure or maybe dodgy pipes. :huh:

Now having spent money recently on 4 new glow plugs (plus labour), a new shock absorber (plus labour) and a service (mainly labour) I'm nearly all spent out with my wallet considerably lighter and so was wondering about costs. Obviously it depends on the problem as to the cost but what are people's ideas?

PS. Also is there anything I could look for that is obvious signs of the problem under the bonnet or will it require a closer inspection, and I hate to say it, by a FORD dealer?

i would suspect the steering rack, although i wouldnt like to bet on that

had this on a belingo van not long a go

trun out needed a new streering rack :(

had this on a belingo van not long a go

trun out needed a new streering rack :(

it could be the rack ive seen the problem go away from a simple steering fluid change but by the look of the vid i think its a new rack you need mate

it could be the rack ive seen the problem go away from a simple steering fluid change but by the look of the vid i think its a new rack you need mate

That video isn't me. Its just very similar to the problem I have. However it doesn't occur all the time so could it still be the rack?

That video isn't me. Its just very similar to the problem I have. However it doesn't occur all the time so could it still be the rack?

if it isnt all the time it could need the fluid changed mate the resistance could be from rubbish in the fluid blocking the pipe then it gets pushed through and all is fine again its difficult to say for sure but a fluid change would be a good start and a lot cheaper than a rackit needs diagnosed to be sure the vid above is most definately a rack needing replaced

i posted this in september, its a problem that my son had in 2009 with a mk1 1.8 tddi estate.

(if this link is what your car is doing, it needs a new rack, take it to a ford dealer for them to do, dont use a recon rack from an auto shop thinking that you will save money, you will not, i'am telling you this because i have had this problem with my sons car, it cost me hundereds of pounds with recon racks, they lasted about two weeks then it was the same, both racks ended in the same way, in the end we took it to ford cost around £600 and the job was a good one, no problems since.

its the same as the one that you have posted..

Quick update.

I know it's pretty bad that I've not got it sorted yet, because its to do with steering, but while searching through the handbook for something else I came across maintenance. I then read that for Diesel engines it said that no fluid levels require checking (under PS fluid check).

2 questions. Why is that and also does that mean that my problem can't be anything to do with the PS fluid? I drive a 1.8TDCi 56reg btw.

if you need to check the PS fluid, you can find under the drivers side headliight (you need to remove the light to get to it) it should be green coloured fluid,

if you need to check the PS fluid, you can find under the drivers side headliight (you need to remove the light to get to it) it should be green coloured fluid,

Yeah I've already checked and it was between the min and max mark. Wouldn't know what to do reguarding replacing it. :S