Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miltek And J1 Upgrade - You Need To Do This

kabz77

Good Morning All

I decided to pull a sickie last Thursday and drive up to Puma Speed in Leeds (it took me just over 3hrs from London).

I've been planning on doing an exhaust and air filter upgrade for quite sometime and I finally did it and I have to say the results are wicked!

I've fitted a full Miltek system - 4-2-1 manifold, Sports Cat and the new dual exhaust system as well as the new J1 air induction kit. The performance while driving is fantastic, the car feels like it can breathe a lot better now and to my surprise the petrol consumption has also improved.

Puma Speed are doing a special price on the dual exhaust if you buy the Stoffler rear diffuser - my one is at the body shop being painted.

I have been fortunate enough to use a Piper system on my previous mk4 Fiesta and now a Miltek on my current mk7 and I have to say the noise on the Miltek is A LOT quieter which is what you want, driving on a motorway at high revs can be painful if you have a loud exhaust - something I found with the Piper.

Please note I have not mapped the car since doing this upgrade, Tony (Puma Speed) advised me that you only gain 1 or 2 extra bhp from a re-map and for the cost this is not worth it. I'm not sure what the bhp of my Fiesta is now.

The J1 induction kit is a lovely piece of kit, I have to admite for £200plus it is a little expensive compared to the K&N or Piper kits but I can see why it costs that extra more, the workmanship is first class. J1 are doing a special 10% off before the end of the year if you register on their website.

I would like to upload some pics of the work but this website isn't very user friendly and doesn't tell me how I can upload pics onto my profile. If someone could be kind enough to let me know how I upload pics onto my profile that would be appreciated!!

Thank you

Sounds like a good set of upgrades. To upload photos, click on your username on the top right of the screen, select "my gallery," create a new album and press bulk upload, that should work!

Good Afternoon, I can't find a 'My Gallery' on my profile page, I've got a 'Gallery' but theres no icons that say 'upload pic', within my profile account I've managed to figure out how to upload a profile pic but thats the only pic I can do.

Thank you

These are the exact same mods I have planned for the new year!

i think you could do better than that....

first of all, the miltek exhaust is 60,3mm wide which is an awful big size for a normal aspirated 1,6 litre car that produces only 120ps...50 or 55mm maximum, if you dont want to install cams,intake manifold etc.....

as for the filter, i cant understand how it is supposed to work when

1) the "vent" in the front (the plastic grille that holds tha badge) doesnt allow air to pass through it

2) the "ram air" seems to be completely useless

3) when the bonnet closes, actually there isnt really a place for the j1 filter to get fresh cold air (from outside)

..... :blink:

Good Afternoon Eagle R,

Regarding the exhaust size and if its suitable for a 1.6 engine is something I can't comment on, if Puma Speed are selling loads of these to customers and the exhaust got good reviews in car magazines then I'm gonna go by that.

Regarding the Induction kit, I will forward your comment on to J1 Automotive and Puma Speed and see what they say, I would have been tempted to fit an additional induction pipe but theres not much room in the engine bay. Once I get a reply back from J1 and Puma Speed I will upload their comment. Either way, compared to the factory fitted stuff, the Miltek and J1 have improved the car greatly.

Thank you

Kabir

Good Afternoon Eagle R,

Regarding the exhaust size and if its suitable for a 1.6 engine is something I can't comment on, if Puma Speed are selling loads of these to customers and the exhaust got good reviews in car magazines then I'm gonna go by that.

Regarding the Induction kit, I will forward your comment on to J1 Automotive and Puma Speed and see what they say, I would have been tempted to fit an additional induction pipe but theres not much room in the engine bay. Once I get a reply back from J1 and Puma Speed I will upload their comment. Either way, compared to the factory fitted stuff, the Miltek and J1 have improved the car greatly.

Thank you

Kabir

Hi, I've had a reply from both Puma Speed and J1 Automotive.

Puma Speed:

Its all about pedigree

point him to mountune for the exhaust

they decieded on 60 mm external bore 57 internal

point him to j1 themselves website for the pedigree of the guy who runs and cad designs all the systems for the OE manufactures inc mountune !!!!

his 'I don't see how it works' philosphy does not fly in todays top flight tuning world

they test they redesign they test again until it does what it is suposed to

belt and braces china air filters sorry not here at pumaspeed

J1 Automotive reply:

Hi Kabir,

I understand your confusion, but the j1 kit does not modify or change the route of air through the grille into the engine bay.

The standard Fiesta Air Pick-up is located between the grille and the radiator – difficult to see – but is underneath the bonnet slam panel, you can just see where the intake pops up to attach to the standard air intake duct. I’ve attached 3 pictures to help explain the situation, although I do not have a picture showing the path between grille and intake duct.

Std Air Intake – shows where the Air Pick-Up is situated on the slam panel. It also shows how it is connected to the standard Air Cleaner Intake duct.

Std Air Cleaner Partially Removed – this shows the standard Air Cleaner half out of the engine bay, this shows the Intake duct design, where it is attached to the Air Pick up, and then follows a lengthy route down to the bottom of the Air Cleaner housing.

J1 Kit Installed (no intake duct) – shows the j1 kit

The main point being, that the j1 Air Intake Kit does not interfere with the path of air from grille into the engine bay, but does remove the restriction and pressure loss associated with the Intake Duct. Air is free to pass directly onto the Filter without the convoluted route down as designed in the standard Air Box.

Let me know if you require any further explanation.

Regards

Sales

On behalf of j1 automotive Ltd

I hope this calrifies things. Please note I still haven't figured out how to attach pictures hence why I can't send the images that J1 have sent to me.

Hi, I've had a reply from both Puma Speed and J1 Automotive.

Puma Speed:

Its all about pedigree

point him to mountune for the exhaust

they decieded on 60 mm external bore 57 internal

point him to j1 themselves website for the pedigree of the guy who runs and cad designs all the systems for the OE manufactures inc mountune !!!!

Just to clarify, PS are misleading people again.

The chap who runs J1 used to work at one of the major car manufacturers and 'after' we'd designed our 140 kit (remember everything else came after that by quite some time), they approached us, but knowing what the possible improvements are from our own significant engine dyno test work versus the cost, this more than ruled out any inclusion in our conversion. He doesn't work for us, nor has he ever in any capacity.

How the air is feeding into the airbox isn't the part that requires the re-calibration, it's as it passes through the MAF tube, in effect before and after the sensor - that's the important part - get this wrong and you're in a lot of trouble.

The calibration (well ours at least) will add 20PS when combined with the other modifications and greatly improve driveability - you're currently relying on the standard cal to adapt itself out of danger with the induction and exhaust mods on your car, and the reason why PS don't supply you with anything else that would in their words 'only give 1-2 bhp' is because they don't know how to calibrate - period.

Those three points just needed clarifying.

Sorry for the interjection, and back to the OP thread...

Good Morning All

I dont want my thread to turn into a bitching session amongst PS, Mountune and J1.

All I would like to say is I am not very clued up about engine performance stuff and how it works but what I do know is since having the Miltek exhaust fitted and the J1 kit fitted my car seems to run a hell of a lot better. I can't wait to filt the KW Inox and the Hi Spec brakes as well as fit the Zetec S dress up kit with the Stoffler diffuser - these are at the body shop being painted, it should be fitted to my car by the 2nd week in Jan.

I have tried to upload pictures but I'm still having problems aaaaargh! I think the file sizes of my pics are to big and I dont know how to reduce the file size - I'm not a computer geek.

Thank you

P.S. I hope everyone has a fantastic xmas break and a prosperous new year.

Good Afternoon Eagle R, what is your email address? I think it would be easier if I sent you the pics and if you could be kind neough to upload the pics as I'm guessing you're a little more knowledgable with uploading pics on this website then I am.

My email address is kabz77@gmail.com

Thank you

FAO Dave@Mountune

Good Afternoon Dave, can you be kind enough to tell the rest of us the difference between Mountune exhausts and the Miltek exhausts that Puma Speed sell please. Is it true that Miltek actually supply you with all the exhausts (exactly the same exhausts that Miltek supply PS) but only difference being your exhausts have the Mountune logo embossed on the tip of the exhausts while the pipes PS sell have Miltek.