Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing glow plug light, no pick up

aztech

Apologies for the long story...Was driving my 54 TDCi 115 on the M50, mucking about a little with the cruise control being a bit lazy. Went through some roadworks at 40 then when I tried to pick up speed again the glow plug light started flashing on the dash and engine was very slow to respond.....eventually called the AA out and the very nice man plugged his lappie in and came up with error code P1330 "injector control pressure lower than desired". He tried changing a sensor (don't ask which I'm not very mechanical!) which didn't work, but said it should be OK to drive home which it was, was just a little slower and much more economical than usual. As this was on a Saturday evening wasn't able to take it to a garage on the Sunday and now I wont be able to get a day off work 'til next Sat. It's a 40 mile commute to work and I'm pretty sure the car will make it fine (as I drove back 90 miles in limp mode earlier today), but was wondering if I'll be doing any lasting damage to the car by leaving it for a week? I plan to take it to Ford dealers on Saturday and see what they say then. Any ideas on what it could be? AA guy said engines are usually pretty good so shouldn't be a major job.

Any opinions on if I can carry on driving and roughly how much this would set me back (worst case scenario) greatly appreciated!

Regards,

aztech

personally i would not drive it, the code shown usually relates to a fuel delivery problem. could be blocked fuel filter, sender unit or even the injectors playing up.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Must have done at least 1500+ miles in limp mode. Eventually got round to servicing it myself on Sunday - or at least changing oil + filter, fuel filter, air filter (never even got round to changing the crank sensor). Drove it (5miles) yesterday after servicing and no change, same this morning on way in to work (20miles). Got into the car this evening, pulled out at a junction and almost jumped out my seat! Power was back to normal and picks up fine. Can only presume it was the fuel filter that was partially blocked, although I did tip out the old one to find a few flakes of what looked like some sort of limescale type impurities.

Once home I tried to restart the car and it wouldnt respond, which has been happening every now and then for last few weeks, nothing major just requires a few turns to crank it and it starts first time when it cranks. The engine management light has been on for a few weeks too, which I thought was because it needed a service, the last one being 11.5K miles ago.

The only other thing I've been doing is adding double dose redex to every fuel change, sometimes Wynne injector treatment. I remember a couple of weeks before the error code (P1330) I had let the tank run down to zero miles (which I wont be doing ever again) so presume this is what was responsible.

Question now remains- do I keep the car because it's a great drive when it works, or sell it before something major goes on it?!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club