Engine Systems Fault

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi folks,

i am after your advice on this. this is the first fault and hopefully the last for a while.

basically when booting (needed to get of some slip roads in the local area and up some hills) the car i get a beeping sound, a red light appears and a message that reads "Engine System Fault"

when this happens there is no limp home mode but the exact opposite, an increase in performance, which is really wierd....

do you guys have any advice on what is going wrong...

thanks in advance...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

oh and to add to the confusion, i followed the directions to see if there are any codes logged...but none. thats if it does log these sorts of faults.

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

oh and to add to the confusion, i followed the directions to see if there are any codes logged...but none. thats if it does log these sorts of faults.

it may or may not be related but wiring leds can have a bad effect on the focus its possible that the leds are causing an electrical issue remember the car was not set up with resistors for leds so you have a current running down wires which to some wires is now being reduced and then increased to other wires ive seen a few of these types of faults at a mates auto electricians place other than that you need a full diagnostic on the car not just the dash codes if it aklso shows nothing than you really have no way of tracking it down till it gets worse

#4 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

thanks for the reply, this fault happened even before i changed the leds. that and i replaced like for like SMD LED's which have the same resistance, ohms, voltage etc passing through them so that shouldnt effect it, in theory, but it may do what your explaining when changing actual light bulbs to leds as that will make more sense on the technological side of things.

i was thinking it was a grin and bear it sort of thing...never know it might just go away (wishfull thinking) lol

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

thanks for the reply, this fault happened even before i changed the leds. that and i replaced like for like SMD LED's which have the same resistance, ohms, voltage etc passing through them so that shouldnt effect it, in theory, but it may do what your explaining when changing actual light bulbs to leds as that will make more sense on the technological side of things.

i was thinking it was a grin and bear it sort of thing...never know it might just go away (wishfull thinking) lol

it can be an alternator issue with the smart charge dropping off and on this can cause the engine light to illuminate usually with the battery light though a coil pack issue or plugs could also cause it to happen as these dont always log fault codes but will throw the light on it could also be a temp sensor fault all of which are a pain to diagnose and require pro tools to test them without the code best bet is have a diagnostic done at ford who can look at the live data and do tests oin the sensors etc to see if its any of those

#6 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

thanks again, from reading your post i beleive that it maybe something to do with the engine temp sensor, as when looking at the dial, it seems to take ageis to warm up and when it does it sits between quater and halfway up. it makes me laugh coz when i go up a steep hill, say 1 in 3 it goes further down...

i done the gauge sweep on the diag mode and it seems all fine on that, but that doesnt test the sensors.

tbh with all this cold "artic" weather, having to abandon my car ontop of the tallest hill the moors, doesnt exactly surprise me if a temp sensor or 2 have gone.

being a temp sensor also makes sense, as in the past on other cars with coil pack and plug faults (peugeots notorious), the engine management light came on with them followed by limp mode...i dont get that, just a red light next to the screen and the on screen warning, no engine light. thats what confused me the most.

but yeah anyways, do you or anyone else have a rough guesstimate on how much an engine temp or whatever they are called cost and part nos?

thanks again

#7 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

i was thinking, would a dying/faulty battery also give this fault....

the reason i asked it has only just started, after i had to abandon my car in the moors for 11 hours, with the hazards on.

im thinking the hazards having been on for 11 hours straight in minus temps on top of a hill (goathland) in snow, which i know some batteries dont like the cold...it could of drained it and will not charge the damaged cell within the battery.

what do others think? battery or temp probe?

#8 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

just an update, i dont think there is more to this than meets the eye

basically it happens now when getting up to motorway speeds normally...but before the fault occurs, the car lurches (feels restricted) fault appears and the car seems normal afterwards, but something is missing like the turbo kick...if that makes sense?

i was thinking a pipe or egr needs cleaning? any ideas

thanks in advance

#9 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec Climate Estate

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hi
Google just brought me here as I have exactly the same fault. Mine does log fault codes when using my mates kit (he has his own garage). Your bog standard DIY code readers show no code.
We replaced the fuel pressure sensor I think (expensive part) and the car is still exactly the same, but the fault code has changed. Think its now P0001 which is fuel injection circuit is open.

Anyway I cant help solve it at this stage, but we should try and keep each other updated. :)

Its doing my head in!

Mine has done 128k - dunno if its a high mileage related thing?....

#10 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Looks like someone else also has the same fault at the moment as well:

http://passionford.c...s-of-power.html

#11 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

I had similar symptoms with my car - http://www.fordowner...showtopic=17171 may help?

#12 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

from reading both of those posted threads it seems as though there is a problem with the fuel system, more specifically the fuel filter and housing.

will get this priced up and see if it works.

#13 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

coming to think about it, it will also make sense as a few times on start up, it has been a bit lumpy...like starting a landrover defender....chuggers, but i rev it to about 3000-4000 hold it for 10 secs and its smooth again.

within the next 2 weeks i am going to carry out a full service - engine flush, all fluids, all filters.

so when i am there i will look and see if there are any splits or breakages in housings etc.

would do it sooner, but with shift work it is kinda hard to get the time and the weather doesnt help.

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Very true indeed, my housing went and cost me 150 after a discount I have with Ford... good ol' service plan! but yeah it seems quite similar. when ford hooked it up, they saw a code of low fuel pressure or something thats where mine led - good luck - hope it helps!

#15 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

You have a different engine to us, but yeah I have been thinking about changing the fuel filter. I'm confident its a fuelling issue (maybe just a sensor as it seems to still make the power).

Just looking at any other factors here so in the past year my car has....

Split boost hose that was replaced
Leaking diesel overspill pipes that were replaced
Redex diesel put in the tank (in hindsight possibly a slightly high dose)

Anyway the most recent of those would be the intercooler hose which was in the summer.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users