Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Orange Management Light

Mondeoman

Hope someone can help i'm really worried....Car is an 06 2.2 Diesel Titanium X...While i was out shopping today, the engine management light came on ( Orange)...I had driven for about 20 miles normally, then parked up to go into a shop, when i came out and started the car i noticed it had come on....I then drove slowly home approx 8 miles with no problems..Where do i start, to try and find out whats wrong ? All help greatly appreciated.....Bill..PS i read somewhere on here a while ago that you can access some info on the dash..How do i do it ?...Also is it worth investing in a fault code reader and if so which one ?

this will help getting the dash codes

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Instrument_Cluster_Self-Diagnostic_Mode

but you really need the codes read by a reader as the dash is not a full indepth scan, as for buying a code reader there are so many out there,decent one start at around £40

http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/codereaders/MaxiScanMS309.htm

Hope someone can help i'm really worried....Car is an 06 2.2 Diesel Titanium X...While i was out shopping today, the engine management light came on ( Orange)...I had driven for about 20 miles normally, then parked up to go into a shop, when i came out and started the car i noticed it had come on....I then drove slowly home approx 8 miles with no problems..Where do i start, to try and find out whats wrong ? All help greatly appreciated.....Bill..PS i read somewhere on here a while ago that you can access some info on the dash..How do i do it ?...Also is it worth investing in a fault code reader and if so which one ?

I had this problem on my car 10 plate,as it was under guarantee Ford sent some one out,he plugged in his computer and no fault was showing up.He did suggest that the cold weather could be causing false readings.

HTH

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys...From the information you have given i have a development....When i interogated the dash info, i have a message which says BULB..Now some info which i omitted to mention earlier , but may now make sense is....Since the really cold weather started some weeks ago, i have been getting a problem with intermittent reversing lamps ( which i have blamed on a frozen switch ..Not sure if it is yet as its too cold to check)..So would this show on my dash info as BULB and would it put the MIL light on ?..

I'm really hoping it is...Also thanks for the code reader info i have spotted that particular one on eBay for approx £30 , so i think it may prove useful to get one........Bill

A further development still, when i started the car after work tonight the MIL light did not come on...i'll keep you posted on any more info...Cheers for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i spoke too soon....The engine management light is now back on....And another development is that the other day whilst driving at about 30 mph,the glow plug light started flashing, and the car went into limp mode...It was ok after restarting but has done it a couple of more times since...sometime this week a friend is going to read the code, but i understand that the glow plug light doesn't necessarily mean a glow plug fault..What other things could it be ?

it will be unlikly to be a glow plug fault, the flashing glowplug usually points towards a injector/fuel or a egr problem.

Just borrowed a Launch CreaderV..from a mate of mine, so i'll have a bit of a play and let you know what i find....Does anyone know where i can find a list of Ford fault codes ?

Brill thanks again....The 2 codes i have stored are EGR Sensor A circuit low, and EGR Sensor A circuit high.....So i deduce that the EGR is at fault (LOL)...Do you think a strip and clean are likely to cure it ?....bill

Thanks again Mintalkin for your swift replies....looks like stripping and cleaning this weekend...will let you know how we do....Bill

Well we whipped the EGR valve off today ( it wasn't particularly gummed up )...Gave it a good clean anyway and reset the fault codes...Took it for a drive ....and.....the light came back on....BUGGER...What now ? Is it looking like a new valve job ? The ones ive seen advertised are about £200....Bill

Well i ordered a valve from my local motorist shop yesterday, using my Reg Number, nut when it turned up it was a vacuum operated one, not electrical like mine....So today i'm going to take mine fully apart and have a look (nothing to lose is my theory )...I'll let you know what happens.

The latest news for your delectation is......I took my EGR valve apart today, and to cut a long story short , fixed it.....Now for a reasonable sum you can send me your electrically operated EGR's and i will endeavour to fix them, thus saving you a fortune for a new one ...... :lol: ....Nope i'm not like that , so i'll share my findings....After removing the valve from the car, i unclipped the outer cover at the connection end...Inside were 3 toothed drive wheels..Motor, idler, and valve drive...After carefully marking each wheel in relation to each other, i removed them...To find that on the valve drive wheel( underneath ) are 2 pins which operate the valve itself...Both of these pins had sheared off ( not sure whether due to fatigue, or sticking valve )So i punched what was left of the pins out of the wheel and recovered the broken bits out of the valve casing..After careful measurement i made some new pins on the lathe...Fitted them and put the valve together after lubricating all moving parts with high temp copperslip...I reset the codes and went for a run out....reult, no fault light......Now i accept that i may be being a bit hasty in my celebrations, but early signs are promising....I've included a couple of pix to try and show you whats what.....Bill

post-12649-0-50432700-1295024669_thumb.jpost-12649-0-85851100-1295024678_thumb.jpost-12649-0-37857000-1295024689_thumb.jpost-12649-0-12575900-1295024698_thumb.jpost-12649-0-33917200-1295024707_thumb.jpost-12649-0-58535700-1295024717_thumb.jpost-12649-0-16215200-1295024728_thumb.j