Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unusual Noise When Going Over Speed Humps?

Solaris

Ever since having my car serviced a couple of weeks ago I've been noticing a strange almost thudding sound coming from the front of the car when going over bumps. At first i thought it might just be down to the weather and the noise was the front tyres slipping off the bump but it's still happening now that a lot of the roads have dried up.

Could it be a suspension problem? This definitely never used to happen before i had the service, I'm worried they might have left something lose.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this too. Like something loose. It went away with me, but now its back when going over speed bumps :(

My first MK7 Fiesta had this problem soon after its first service. Take it back to your dealer and ask them to check the anti roll bar struts. This what was causing my problem which took them weeks to find. If its not the anti roll bar struts, then it could be the engine mount struts.

Hope this helps.

Since I had a blow out on the A1 and damaged the alloy, and converted back to my 16" alloys, I've noticed on going over speed humps a little quick, the back end scrapes, never did it before, but it's going soon!

Mark funny you should say about engine mounts.

When I drive off from cold theres a horrable rattle noise coming off the car somewhere. Fine when warmed up. Dunno if this noise is related to the noise when going over bumps.

Is there a try at home method to check the roll bars or engine mounts?

Hi, as above, is anyone able to advise on a quick n dirty "at home" test as I'd be interested in this too. Mine's a 58 but I keep hearing that unless the car falls apart Ford deem anything over a year not really covered by the 3 yr warranty they advertise so would like to check this prior to taking it into the local dealer. Thanks.

Hi,

As far as i know, there is no "at home" fix. The items need to be replaced by the dealer. It is covered under the standard 3 year warranty. If your dealership refuses to do warranty work, contact Ford customer service who will sort things out for you.

I'm not sure if this is a major problem or if many have had the same problems, but i would advise anyody with strange noises to get it checked out ASAP. In the god knows how many weeks it took them to find my problem, it damaged the left hand side tyre resulting in uneven tyre ware.

Hi,

As far as i know, there is no "at home" fix. The items need to be replaced by the dealer. It is covered under the standard 3 year warranty. If your dealership refuses to do warranty work, contact Ford customer service who will sort things out for you.

I'm not sure if this is a major problem or if many have had the same problems, but i would advise anyody with strange noises to get it checked out ASAP. In the god knows how many weeks it took them to find my problem, it damaged the left hand side tyre resulting in uneven tyre ware.

Comprehensive answer, thanks very much Mark M.K, appreciate it. I'll try & get the thing booked in due to "strange noises from the front" & ask them specifically to check the engine mounts & the anti roll bar struts then. Cheers again :-)

Have mine booked in to be looked at tomorrow. When booking I mentioned that I've heard from someone else who had the same exact problem after their service and mentioned the anti roll struts. Hopefully they'll fix the problem (which they appear to have caused).

Servicing does not include stripping suspension items, some services do not even include taking off the wheels, as for the warranty, most dealers lose when it comes to claiming for warranty issues,you get 1 year comprehensive warranty and 2 yeras extended which does not include all items.

Servicing does not include stripping suspension items, some services do not even include taking off the wheels, as for the warranty, most dealers lose when it comes to claiming for warranty issues,you get 1 year comprehensive warranty and 2 yeras extended which does not include all items.

Well it does seem like an awful big coincidence to me that having owned the car for 1 year i only start to notice the unmistakable noise the day i get it back from it's first service.

Ok well here's my update from my visit to dagenham motors. My appointment was for 2pm, when i got there i was told i was booked for 9am and was classed as a no show, interesting start. Anyway one of the mechanics came with me on a test run to try and replicate the sound, i managed to replicate it a few times on certain speed bumps, the fact it was pouring down with rain didn't help as it created a lot of ambient sound.

The mechanic's first response was that i shouldn't really be going over bumps that fast with the 17inch wheels i have but i explained to him i was trying to replicate the sound for him rather than be extra cautious. Anyway after returning he admitted he could hear a sound but wasn't sure what it was. I was told it was too late for them to check the car now as they close at 5, in complete contradiction to what i was told when booking the appointment over the phone yesterday morning. Now I have to take it back next week..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club