2 replies to this topic

#1 Junpit

Junpit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion 1.4 TDCI

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi

I'm new to this forum but need a bit of advice. On Christmas day I started the car and noticed that the battery light was on constantly. Yesterday (Boxing day) I did it again and the light went out. I decided to go visit my dad in hospital (daytime - no lights) and got there OK. The battery light went on a few times but went off again afterwards on the way.

I came home and switched the lights on etc as it was dark. I got about 7 miles and I noticed my lights getting darker and darker until all sorts of lights started coming on on the dash and my speedo and rev counter stopped working completely. The car stopped and the battery light came on for a few mins before hand. Fortunately I was less than 400 yds from home.

Is this an alternator problem. My battery is only a few months old and hence I don't think it should be that.

Any ideas?

Junpit

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gixerboy

gixerboy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi

I'm new to this forum but need a bit of advice. On Christmas day I started the car and noticed that the battery light was on constantly. Yesterday (Boxing day) I did it again and the light went out. I decided to go visit my dad in hospital (daytime - no lights) and got there OK. The battery light went on a few times but went off again afterwards on the way.

I came home and switched the lights on etc as it was dark. I got about 7 miles and I noticed my lights getting darker and darker until all sorts of lights started coming on on the dash and my speedo and rev counter stopped working completely. The car stopped and the battery light came on for a few mins before hand. Fortunately I was less than 400 yds from home.

Is this an alternator problem. My battery is only a few months old and hence I don't think it should be that.

Any ideas?

Junpit

Sounds like an alternator, but may be a faulty (new) battery, also, did you check that the battery connections are still tight?,its easy to test yourself if you have a volt meter, other wise, any kwick fit, ETB, should be able to check it for you.

#3 Jouxy

Jouxy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

Altenator faults quite common, check the smart charging connector on the altenator, 3 pin plug. If ok, turn on electrics, lights etc and measure the voltage at the B post, should be about 13.8 to 14.3 volts.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users