Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Junpit

Car Broke Down - Battery Drained

3 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm new to this forum but need a bit of advice. On Christmas day I started the car and noticed that the battery light was on constantly. Yesterday (Boxing day) I did it again and the light went out. I decided to go visit my dad in hospital (daytime - no lights) and got there OK. The battery light went on a few times but went off again afterwards on the way.

I came home and switched the lights on etc as it was dark. I got about 7 miles and I noticed my lights getting darker and darker until all sorts of lights started coming on on the dash and my speedo and rev counter stopped working completely. The car stopped and the battery light came on for a few mins before hand. Fortunately I was less than 400 yds from home.

Is this an alternator problem. My battery is only a few months old and hence I don't think it should be that.

Any ideas?

Junpit

Hi

I'm new to this forum but need a bit of advice. On Christmas day I started the car and noticed that the battery light was on constantly. Yesterday (Boxing day) I did it again and the light went out. I decided to go visit my dad in hospital (daytime - no lights) and got there OK. The battery light went on a few times but went off again afterwards on the way.

I came home and switched the lights on etc as it was dark. I got about 7 miles and I noticed my lights getting darker and darker until all sorts of lights started coming on on the dash and my speedo and rev counter stopped working completely. The car stopped and the battery light came on for a few mins before hand. Fortunately I was less than 400 yds from home.

Is this an alternator problem. My battery is only a few months old and hence I don't think it should be that.

Any ideas?

Junpit

Sounds like an alternator, but may be a faulty (new) battery, also, did you check that the battery connections are still tight?,its easy to test yourself if you have a volt meter, other wise, any kwick fit, ETB, should be able to check it for you.

Altenator faults quite common, check the smart charging connector on the altenator, 3 pin plug. If ok, turn on electrics, lights etc and measure the voltage at the B post, should be about 13.8 to 14.3 volts.