Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Filling Issues

MRC89

Hi guys,

I've had my Zetec S for 2 months now, I'm finding whenever I go to fill up the petrol pump is kicking back as if the tank is full (Even when empty!!)

I'm having to gently squeeze the petrol trigger to fill up to get around it and this takes ages! Spent up to 5 minutes completely filling the tank from empty before. I've tried several garages now and seems to be the same everywhere, Morrisons is my local but I've tried several Texaco's a handful of BP's, Tesco's and a Shell. When I insert the nozzle I often notice a lot of air escaping like there's a lot of pressure in there, is this normal? I've even tried replacing the nozzle a few times to try get that air out, but I still run into the same problem the moment I start filling.

Has anyone else had this problem? And any recommendation on a fix?

I've also recently noticed the fuel filler cap is a bit wobbly on the hinges, is that normal?

Thanks, Mark

I'm not sure how to describe it but it only works a certain way.

You need to push the nozzle in as far as it will go then almost let go of it so it's at a certain angle - then it works!

Just remembered there was a topic about this before - see here

Push the nozzle in, then you have to move the nozzle so that end is raised inside, if that makes sense (so you're pushing down on the handle to lift the other end)

sounds like your pushing the nozzle in too far, have a read of the owners manual - there is an explaination in there about the ribs on the pump nozzle and not pushing it past the 2nd rib

Filling is as follows, insert nozzle, allow the nozzle to drop and press trigger, no more than second click. then allow 10 sec before with drawing nozzle, I have ocassionallly come across a faulty filler neck which has had the symptoms which you describe, regards Jouxy.

• 2 months later...

i went to put fuel in my car today and the nozel got stuck in the neck of the tank, it took ages to fill up then even longer to pull the nozel out, not looking forward to my next trip for fuel.

Does anyone else have an issue where as you're removing nozzle from car a load of fuel comes out the car and flows down your nice clean paintwork? I'm not talking a dribble either - this is a gush!

Does anyone else have an issue where as you're removing nozzle from car a load of fuel comes out the car and flows down your nice clean paintwork? I'm not talking a dribble either - this is a gush!

yep i get this when ever i fill up, so i only put 20 in at a time now

I,m guessing your pulling pump out as soon as you finish filling. You have to wait. As posted earlier Ford state allow 10 secs for it to settle down before removing pump.

I,m guessing your pulling pump out as soon as you finish filling. You have to wait. As posted earlier Ford state allow 10 secs for it to settle down before removing pump.

Nope I wait at least 10secs and remove it very slowly, as soon as the nozzle is almost clear and the easyfuel flap starts closing fuel gushes out of the car.

iNath, are you brimming it, i personally have problems with some Shell garage pumps overfilling, maybe me being stupid but i usually go a few stop clicks before stopping and that usually is as close as poss but you go too far it will just come out even if you wait 10 seconds, i have also noticed before that if you put it in either too far or not far enough it will click off straight away it seems to be different on different pumps!

In fact the only thing that is the same on all pumps is they are sticky and horrible! do people rub it allover the handle for a laugh or what!

I miss petrol for that reason and that reason only.

Yes I brim the tank everytime and only seems to happen with Shell (which is a pain as I'm exclusively using Shell atm for an experiment!)

im assuming a similar experient to me then, my theory is there is not 2 classes of fuel, i.e, premium and supermarket but instead Shell and BP / Esso and Texaco / Supermarket.

So far Shell is doing well!

Never had a problem filling with diesel whatever garage I’ve used, out of interest are you pushing the pump in all the way to the rubber stopper on the pump handle or just to the ribbed mark as it shows in the owners manual? :huh:

Never had a problem filling with diesel whatever garage I've used, out of interest are you pushing the pump in all the way to the rubber stopper on the pump handle or just to the ribbed mark as it shows in the owners manual? :huh:

The nozzle is like an 'L' shape - mine pushes all the way until the bend of the L touches the bottom of the easyfuel thing?

To be honest just stick it in until it gets tight like inath says usually it works unless its not quite far enouph usually sometimes it needs pulling out a little, depends how angry iv been when putting it in!

By the way inath what happened to the discount on membership it said it expired tomorrow but the code doesn't work anymore.

By the way inath what happened to the discount on membership it said it expired tomorrow but the code doesn't work anymore.

Code was 'ILUVFOC' - I can't test it as says I've already used it.

The nozzle is like an 'L' shape - mine pushes all the way until the bend of the L touches the bottom of the easyfuel thing?

have a read of page 90 in the owners manual, I think you are simpley pushing the nozzel in too far

fuel.jpg

To be honest just stick it in until it gets tight like inath says usually it works unless its not quite far enouph usually sometimes it needs pulling out a little, depends how angry iv been when putting it in!

:lol: sorry immature moment there...

• Like 1

To be honest just stick it in until it gets tight like inath says usually it works unless its not quite far enough usually sometimes it needs pulling out a little, depends how angry iv been when putting it in!

:lol: sorry immature moment there...

:lol:

So not just me then :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club