Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plugs

sssnakeuk2001

hi there, i was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Iget my car serviced in july and byMid Jan the spark plugs will need changed again as they will be full of water. i know this as it happens every year. The car starts running like a heap of bolts. it just stutters it way through the first 30 mins of driving each day then it fives itself, but when the car gets cold it does the same thing again until the said plugs are replaced. it has stasrted to stutter again so i will be replacing plugs at weekend.

does anyone else have or have had this problem, if so i woulr really appreciate some help with sorting it

stephen

have you checked the washer jets for leaks as this is where your water could be coming from.

• Like 1

have you checked the washer jets for leaks as this is where your water could be coming from. SENT by MINTALKIN

No, i had not thought of that.they dont get use them very often as car only does about 20 miles a week. My wife taking it to asda and back etc.

So could they still leak without being used and what is the easiest way to check,

any help would be great Mintalkin,

Stephen

open the bonnet and lay some newspaper across the top of the engine, close bonnet,turn on ignition (DO NOT START CAR) and operate the washer jets for around ten seconds, then lift the bonnet and see if the paper is wet, remember to remove the paper before driving away.

Hi Mintalkin,

I tried the paper thingt and there was no water visable. Do you have any other ideas where the water may be coming from.

Stephen

Hi Mintalkin,

I tried the paper thingt and there was no water visable. Do you have any other ideas where the water may be coming from.

Stephen

i take it that the coolant level is ok and not showing signs of leakage.

The coolant lavels are fine, def no leak from there.

im totally stumped by this

I was thinking about getting my hose and pounding the top of the car with water and see if they get wet. Ill do the paper thing again directly on top of them. Then ill try and spray the ground below the car and see if its coming up from below. Do either of these sound ok to try or am i just being silly

stephen

Check for leaking core plugs in cylinder head between spark plugs.

There are two types of plug, one scews in and the other is a dished core plug fitted with a hammer.

Common fault on the focus also.

The washer jet leak is not water from the jets themselves but from water on the bonnet seeping underneath the body of the jet.

It drips from there onto the air filter and then collects and drips near the oil filler neck down to the engine.

The other jet drips onto the top of the fuse/relay box by the battery.

The fix as mentioned on here is to remove the jet and seal with some silicon rubber.

Its a 5 minute job, the pipes un-clip from the body of the jets and the body can be released with a screwdriver. Clean, seal and refit, job done !

Its a very bad design that the ridge on the air filter acts as a collection point for the water and again that the jets were not fitted with a rubber seal in the first place.

• 1 month later...

The washer jet leak is not water from the jets themselves but from water on the bonnet seeping underneath the body of the jet.

It drips from there onto the air filter and then collects and drips near the oil filler neck down to the engine.

The other jet drips onto the top of the fuse/relay box by the battery.

The fix as mentioned on here is to remove the jet and seal with some silicon rubber.

Its a 5 minute job, the pipes un-clip from the body of the jets and the body can be released with a screwdriver. Clean, seal and refit, job done !

Its a very bad design that the ridge on the air filter acts as a collection point for the water and again that the jets were not fitted with a rubber seal in the first place.

I experienced that exact issue. Apparently there was a Ford recall to fit modified washer jets that stopped water leaking through the bonnet and into the plug wells. Since that was done three years ago I have not had any further issues. Chris

• 3 years later...

have you tried looking at the core plugs as I have the same problem and I was told to change the core plugs that should solve prob ok