Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Water Leak

ish034

Hi, i have a ford focus tddi. Everytime it rains, the rear left footwell ends up with a big puddle (everywhere else though is completely dry). Sat inside with someone else doing a hospipe over it and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, the door seals seem fine. Have read that the main cause of water leaks is the pollen filter, but my front passenger footwell is completely dry, plus my car is parked on a flat, so dont see how it could be this. Does abyone know what the cause is????? Dont wanna take it back to Ford to get ripped off, just spent over £1000 on new fuel pump :angry: Any help is much appreciated!!

it is most likely going to be the Inner door panel splash shield.This you will find behind the interior door panel.The water leaks past the shield and builds at the bottom inside of the door going on to the inside floor.When the door panel is removed it is a good idea to look at the speaker housing gasket as this could also be leaking into the same area

• 3 months later...

Hi, it’s been a while now and the water leak problem has been getting worse. My rear passenger footwell floods every time it rains. After lifting up the carpets, I have now found the leak is definitely coming from the front of the car as the carpets are wet (getting wetter) the further/closer I go towards the cabin (note: passenger footwell appears to be dry when carpet is down as there is a waterproof lining on the bottom of that area of the carpet - water runs towards lowest part of car (rear passenger footwell)). I suspected that the water leak was due to the pollen filter cover, which I have read is a common fault, and so, using some silicone, sealed up the gap between the windscreen and the cover. I thought this would solve my problem but have found that the rear passenger footwell still floods when it rains. This then led to me believe that I perhaps did not seal it up properly and that’s why water is still entering the car. To check this, after it would rain and the footwell would flood, I would go out and lift up the bonnet, lift up the pollen filter cover slightly, and squeeze my hand into the actual pollen filter to see whether this was wet. I found that every time it was completely dry.

As you can probably guess, this has left me very confused as to where the water is coming from. Could it be that it is still due to the pollen filter cover and that the water is somehow getting through, past the cover and into car without touching the actual pollen filter? Or, seeing as though the pollen filter cover looks as though it is sealed properly to the windscreen, could the water be running down towards the bottom left hand corner of the windscreen (car is usually parked with passenger side to (slanting towards) the pavement), and under the metal panel (the metal panel in between/that joins, the bonnet, bumper and door), then somehow into the car. (Note: i did create and have a picture to show this very clearly, however found that i cant upload/view it).

Could someone please help me with this problem as to any ideas of where the water is entering the car and how I could test for it etc.

The water doesnt come through by wetting the pollen filter buddy. It comes under the housing. Under the scuttle panel there should also be little rubber dams stuck on the car to stop water getting past them and draining down drain holes. On mine once one had come adrift and this was allowing water that would normally drain away to run under the filter housing.

If what you saying is correct, could i get the problem fixed by having ford fitting a new suttle panel (note: if the dams under the scuttle panel are the problem, but i had a new scuttle panel fitted, would my water leak problem still remain?)

i had the leaking scuttle panel before and came up with a fix for it. If you look at the picture ive attached, it shows the under side of the scuttle and where to seal it with silicone. You will need to go to ford and ask them for the pollen filter and the seal for the panel,cost me £15 at my local dealer. the seal kit is just double sided foam that goes along a groove in the underside of the scuttle, where it touches the windscreen. My fix seems to be very effective. its not the fact that the water gets down under the scuttle, its where it goes once its under. the little tray on the bottom of the panel should disperse it to the sides but instead it leaks through where the 2 bits of plastic have been stuck together:)

post-3200-1231505849_thumb.jpg

Ford did release a modified scuttle panel when this problem came to light. Buy a new one from Ford now and you get the revised version.

This is a serious problem from ford focus

I think only the brazilian ford focus have this problem

I have a tutoral to fix this problem do-yourself

but it is in portuguese and my english is terrible to traslate this , but have some picitures

Bom galera, a quem possa interessar e para auqme ainda tem esse tipo de problema de infiltração do lado do passageiro do focus, no pé do passageiro. Vou colocra aqui os códigos das peças que é necessa´rio comprar para acabara de vez com isso já que as chuvas fortes se aproximam noste fim de ano com a chegada do verão.

Defletor - cod : 98fw/ 18b500/ab

Vedador - cod: 2m51/ a02286/ aa

Presilhas para a churrasqueira: cod : w / 703475/s3/00

Esse defletor pertence ao fiesta antigo e deve ser colocado embaixo da churrasqueira, logo acima do filtro de polen poie é ele quem faz a água desviar e não deixa ir para dentro do carro.

As presilhas são da churrasqueira já que quando se tira elas podem quebrar e nunca ficam boas.

O vedador é uma fita dupla face que vai na churrasqueira e é colada ao para brida tb evitando entrar sujeira e água.

Valores: as tres coisas eu paguei R$ 41,00

Espero ter ajudado alguem, caso queiram informações sobre como foi feito e como ficou é só me avisar, só sei q agua no meu focus nunca mais entrou depois disso.

Abraços

:ford:

Caros amigos, não tem essa que "os mais antigos tem esse problema", infelizmente o que existe são alguns com mais sorte ou não, pois os engenheiros da Ford, pelo menos os que projetaram essa parte do carro, foram para a faculdade somente para comer merenda.

Nessa grelha existe uma canaleta que serve para justamente escoar a água que cai ali (que não deve ser muita por causa da vedação), o que acontece é que em alguns casos, para aqueles menos sortudos, as presilhas que prendem essa calha da grelha se solta e consequentemente a vedação, deixando um vão para essa água escoar para dentro do filtro e consequentemente entrar para dentro do carro. No meu caso foi essas presilhas que soltaram, abri a grelha e a fixei novamente, resolvido o problema, mas é claro, assim como tinha uma vedação, também a coloquei. Já peguei chuva torrencial e nada, nenhuma gota dentro do carro.

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02188.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

Dessa forma adeus infiltração...

Agradecimentos ao Ice..

i had the leaking scuttle panel before and came up with a fix for it. If you look at the picture ive attached, it shows the under side of the scuttle and where to seal it with silicone. You will need to go to ford and ask them for the pollen filter and the seal for the panel,cost me £15 at my local dealer. the seal kit is just double sided foam that goes along a groove in the underside of the scuttle, where it touches the windscreen. My fix seems to be very effective. its not the fact that the water gets down under the scuttle, its where it goes once its under. the little tray on the bottom of the panel should disperse it to the sides but instead it leaks through where the 2 bits of plastic have been stuck together:)

Hi, i am really interested in your fix, as it could save me a lot of money, however dont fully understand the picture. Could you please explain to me how sealing the underside of the scuttle panel, around the drip tray, would help, as i thought this bit didn't touch the windscreen (it goes underneath). It would really help me if you could draw on the picture i have uploaded and i would appreciate it alot.

post-2163-1231966834_thumb.jpg

Also could you clarify what two bits of plastic you are refering to in your reply, when explaining where the water leaks/runs to.

Many, many thanks

Hi, i am really interested in your fix, as it could save me a lot of money, however dont fully understand the picture. Could you please explain to me how sealing the underside of the scuttle panel, around the drip tray, would help, as i thought this bit didn't touch the windscreen (it goes underneath). It would really help me if you could draw on the picture i have uploaded and i would appreciate it alot.

post-2163-1231966834_thumb.jpg

Also could you clarify what two bits of plastic you are refering to in your reply, when explaining where the water leaks/runs to.

Many, many thanks

The following from Ford's Technical Information System (TIS) (available as a CD from e-bay) might also be useful:

TECHNICAL service BULLETIN No.71/1999

Car and Light/Medium Commercial 22.07.1999

Section: 43 (501-08)

Model: Focus built from 08.98 to 18.04.99 (build codes WP to XE)

Markets: All

Subject: Water ingress through cowl grille/pollen filter into passenger compartment

Summary

Should a customer express concern over water entering the passenger compartment, it could be possible that the sealing between the cowl grille and the windshield, in the area of the pollen filter, needs to be resealed. This should be rectified by modifying the cowl grille and installing additional sealant.

Production Action

A revised cowl grille has been installed in production since 19.04.1999 (build code XE)

service Instructions

See Summary

Vehicles built from 08.98 to 01.99

1. Remove the cowl top outer grille assembly according to Operation Number 43 230 0 (Workshop Manual/TIS-CD).

2. Thoroughly clean the screen in the cowl grill fixing area to remove any dirt or tape.

3. Remove and inspect the pollen filter.

• Open the service flap and remove the pollen filter.
  • If the filter is wet, install a new filter (see Parts Required).

Note:

Note the direction of flow of the pollen filter.

• Install the pollen filter.
  • Clean rubber edged grille situated between the wiper motor and the filter housing

Note:

The new cowl grille will have different fixings to the existing cowl grille.

4. Select the correct cowl grille (see Parts Required) for vehicle.

• For RHD vehicles, select LHS cowl grille.
  • For LHD vehicles, select RHS cowl grille.

5. Trim foam block.

6. Drill an 8 mm diameter hole.

7. Apply butyl cord (see Parts Required).

Install a piece of butyl cord (L = 750 mm) on to the cowl grille.

Note:

When installing the cowl grille make sure that no contact is made with the drip tray.

8. Install the RHS cowl grille.

• Position the end moulding in correct relationship with hinge and fender.
  • Push the sliding fixings into the holes in the body, making sure that they are fully home.
  • Clip the front edge of the cowl grille into the plenum chamber front wall.

9. Install the LHS cowl grille.

Repeat procedure in step 8.

10. Install the central scrivet.

• Tighten scrivet.
  • Install plastic cap.

11. Roll the lip seal with a suitable roller to make sure that the butyl cord adheres to the windshield.

12. Reinstall all components in reverse order.

Vehicles built from 02.99 to 04.99

Note:

This cowl grille has been modified so that there is only a single central scrivet and cap. All other scrivet caps are part of the moulding and are not removeable.

13. Remove the cowl top outer grille assembly according to Operation Number 43 230 0 (Workshop Manual/TIS-CD).

14. Thoroughly clean the screen in the cowl grill fixing area to remove any dirt or tape.

15. Remove and inspect the pollen filter.

• Open the service flap and remove the pollen filter.
  • If the filter is wet, install a new filter (see Parts Required).

Note:

Note the direction of flow of the pollen filter.

• Install the pollen filter.
  • Clean rubber edged grille situated between the wiper motor and the filter housing.

Note:

To aid installation, the white part of the sliding fixing should be removed from the body and attached to the black plastic pins on the cowl grille.

16. To the existing passenger side cowl grille carry out the operations detailed in steps 5 - 12 in this bulletin.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just had a new pollen filter cover fitted by Ford themselves, hoping this would solve the problem as everyone put it down to this, and the problem has been getting worse (now water is coming into the passenger footwell as well - the waterproof material/lining underneath has cracked). Unfortunately I went to the car today (after it had been raining) to find the same puddle in my back footwell.

Does anyone know were this could be coming from?? I have to add, that I reached up as far as I could under the passenger carpet and found that the higher (towards the windscreen) I went, the dryer the carpet was. The carpet in fact seemed to be getting wetter (i.e. the source) from towards the centre of the car (were the passengers right foot would roughly lie).

I really need help with this problem and appreciate any comments, answers or suggestions.

check for any sign of leakage at the rear light cluster seal its another common cause of water ingress, the wetness could be travelling towards the front through capillary action.

• 2 weeks later...

not what you want to hear but the best way to find it will be to take out the seats, carpet, boot carpet and get inside with a powerfull light and get some one to jet wash the car as you look for leaks.

i have had problems with some st 170's leaking water in past the door membranes so check the drain holes in the doors.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have this problem too, a puddle in the passenger footwell. I havent had chance to look at it yet, but i did see water dripping then start to run for a second (while i got in) from just to the left of the CD player.

I have been reading comments here, so will have a look asap.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just had a new pollen filter cover fitted by Ford themselves, hoping this would solve the problem as everyone put it down to this, and the problem has been getting worse (now water is coming into the passenger footwell as well - the waterproof material/lining underneath has cracked). Unfortunately I went to the car today (after it had been raining) to find the same puddle in my back footwell.

Does anyone know were this could be coming from?? I have to add, that I reached up as far as I could under the passenger carpet and found that the higher (towards the windscreen) I went, the dryer the carpet was. The carpet in fact seemed to be getting wetter (i.e. the source) from towards the centre of the car (were the passengers right foot would roughly lie).

I really need help with this problem and appreciate any comments, answers or suggestions.

HI M8

open your boot and look at the roof lining across the back to see if it wet if so there may be a chance that the rubber tube that connects to your rear screen washer has come apart at the connector but thats usally when you use rear screen washer

• 3 months later...

Hey, Ish (or anyone?)

Did you identify the source of your water leak problem?

Surely the modified scuttle cover (which fits above the pollen filter) does not need sealing against the windscreen?

The modified scuttle cover (for Focus 98 to 2004) has a 'water catcher / deflector tray' which fits under the windscreen and channels water off to one side and away (or should do?) and so prevents water getting into the pollen filter?

Anyway, I'll see if mine leaks with no sealing against the windscreen.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

GraHal

hello there. im new to this.

I had the same problem with my 2001 1.8 petrol focus. i replaced the scuttle cover and the problem was still there only both front an back on both sides were full of water. i got a stone chip on the window an it got alot worse til i had to get the window replaced. i gt the window replaced and when this was happenin the window fitter told me that the window had been very badly sealed before. he got the window sealed up properly and i took the hole interior carpert out of car and dried out. i havnt had the problem again. puttin the full and proper seal on the new window cured the problem.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I own a 2006 Ford Focus Hatchback which i had recently bought. I had recently had leaks in the rear left passenger carpet, spreading down to the front left passenger carpet. I had also noticed, strangely, that there is water being collected from under the spare wheel, inside the compartment. im noticing a leak from the underbelly of the car exactly where the left rear carpet is. I know it may be some sort of bung or gasket i have to put in...but i just don't know what part i should get for it and how to apply it, let alone how to approach the situation. Please help.

Nikko

Hello,

I own a 2006 Ford Focus Hatchback which i had recently bought. I had recently had leaks in the rear left passenger carpet, spreading down to the front left passenger carpet. I had also noticed, strangely, that there is water being collected from under the spare wheel, inside the compartment. im noticing a leak from the underbelly of the car exactly where the left rear carpet is. I know it may be some sort of bung or gasket i have to put in...but i just don't know what part i should get for it and how to apply it, let alone how to approach the situation. Please help.

Nikko

Hi mate,

the water under the spare wheel is most likely caused by the gap between your rear spoiler and the boot lid, also the seal at the top of the glass in the boot lid,their is sponge seals fitted by ford but the wear away through time and allow the water to get through,

its a common fault on the mk2 & mk2.5 model from 2005-2011

myself and a few other members have removed our rear spoiler and lined the area with some clear silicone sealent as a precaution because it had not happend to us at this stage but we knew that it was liable to happen in the future so to prevent wet carpets we sealed it up early in life.

and the leak in the front passenger goot well could be the pollen filter housing which is fitted behind the glove box,

they have been known to leak becuase when the pollen filter is changed the seal is supposed to be changed at the same time, and the seal can be difficult to get right on the unit thus allowing water in to the footwell,

but its highly unusual for you to get two leaks at the same time,

i reckon its the boot lid that is allowing the rain in, and its gathering in the tyre well, then when your driving and braking, the water is getting sloshed around, coming out of the tyre well and running down the left side of the car, falling in to the rear passenger footwell and up along the left side of the car.

to seal the rear first get tiger seal sealant now open the boot and look at the hinges they will be sealed at the sides and bottom but the top isnt sealed seal this are on both sides allow to dry then paint over with a touch up kit.

next remove the rear lights only 2 screws and see where the screws go into a plastic cup with a foammembrane round it use tiger seal all round this membrane cover so it has a seal all round then pop a bit on the screw hole and refit the lights

last is the 2 nuts that hold the bumper in place on the rear have the same fixings as the lights seal these also

seal the rear spoilker and the 3rd brake light now the whole rear is sealed

• 2 months later...

hi i would like to thank you all for posting messages about ford focus 2004 water in passenger footwell as you all know this is due to pollen filter cover fitted by Ford themselves after a major service i had my one fix by ford for free and now letter of complaint