Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing Glow Plug Light Mondeo 130 Tdci 52

Portland Bill

Well here we are, I wondered how long it would take for something to go badly wrong with the car.

As you may be aware, I have only owned the car since Boxing Day so right now I'm not in the best of moods.

Was just driving home from Newcastle which involves about 20miles up the A1 and just as I was turning off the A1, I noticed the power disappear from the car and the Glow Plug light start flashing. As I still had another 4 miles to go I just eased right off and drove home as gently as possible and stopped outside my house.

To my utter dispair, I've since looked in the manual and found nothing about this issue, so moved onto the internet and am very, very concerned at the amount of posts I have found in forums about people having this problem and never getting to the bottom of it, more often than not having to Shell out thousands in the process.

I have however just found a receipt in amongst my documents detailing some work carried out on the car not so long ago by Furrows Ltd in Telford, which sounds awfully relevant. It reads:

"Customer states glow plug light is flashing and not running correctly - being towed in - customer authorises 1/2 hour only at £37.50+VAT to start - please advise. Carries out IDS diagnostic checks on vehicle for concern. Removed injectors for examination, fitted 4 reconditioned injectors, programmed to vehicle & retested."

This work was carried out in November 2010, cost the previous owner £952.35 and the car has done less than 3000 miles since.

I paid £1300 for the car and had to borrow money to pay for it so I am very close to panic over what the hell I am going to do coz I certainly cannot afford to pay that kind of money to have the car fixed, especially if the same thing is going to happen in less than another 3000 miles.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do other than get Ford to plug it in to see what the diagnostics say?

I can't believe this. I simply cannot afford to have a massive bill on my hands to sort this out.

Hi it sounds very much like injecters as i had the same problem with mine, the garage that fixed it blamed it on fuel contamination, i put Shell fuel in for six months and then one tank of supermarket fuel and flashing glow plug light again. You need to find a good independent garage to read the fauit codes as there a few other much cheaper things it could be. Hope that helps Dave

your car would have gone into limp home mode which is normal when there is a problem,the flashing glowplug light usually points towards an injector/fuel or erg valve problem,as the previous post states find an independant get the codes read and that will give you a starting point,if the car has allreay had injectors i doubt they will be the problem unless they have lost there codeing wich is unlikley in only 3000 miles.

I'm having the exact same problem with my 06 2.2 TDCI..I bought a fault code reader for £20 and codes pointed to EGR problem. I have removed said item and cleaned it , unfortunately it's still happening..So i think a new EGR is the solution ( not cheap at £200 )I'll prob have a nother go at cleaning it..But the code reader is the best 20 quid i think i've spent....Bill

@Mondeoman - Where did you get the code reader from and what is the make as I'd prefer to read my own codes than paying someone £80 to make something up...?

Is the work potentially required doable by a DIYer? I'm pretty handy with a spanner and have spent years stripping down classic vehicles and building them back up, but it's the electrical and measurement issues that hold me back. I'm simply on the bones of my !Removed! so really need to try and avoid the kind of garage bills reported by other Mondeo owners across the internet.

Hi Bill

find attached worth checking.

this is engines from 2000 to 2007

tom

post-13968-0-10750900-1294597620_thumb.j

@Mondeoman - Where did you get the code reader from and what is the make as I'd prefer to read my own codes than paying someone £80 to make something up...?

Is the work potentially required doable by a DIYer? I'm pretty handy with a spanner and have spent years stripping down classic vehicles and building them back up, but it's the electrical and measurement issues that hold me back. I'm simply on the bones of my !Removed! so really need to try and avoid the kind of garage bills reported by other Mondeo owners across the internet.

My code reader is a Launch Creader V...I paid £20 for it second hand , but i think they're only about £50 to buy new from Fleabay Item number: 250723209562...

It looks like a fairly straightforward job to change the valve..There were 4 small bolts and 1 hose clip to remove when i removed mine, plus the electrical connection( if it's the electrically actuated one )..Its situated at the front left hand side of my engine, not sure if yours is the same....My mate whos in the trade thinks the new ones are a plug and play job ( no need to code them to the car ) i hope he's right...Some one in the know on here may correct him...let us know how u get on......Bill

Thanks for the constructive input Jouxy.

@Mondeoman - I'm not sure that code reader will read my model's codes, but thanks for the advice anyway.

As for a progress update, I left the car alone since it happened and it was my work Xmas party on Sat night so was in no state to drive on Sunday, but I had to at least try and drive it to work yesterday morning, and it started fine. No sign of the glow-plug light flashing and it seemed to have it's power back although the engine was making a seemingly rev related rattling sound which I didn't feel comfortable with at all but carried on gently nontheless. When I was about half way through my 20 mile trip to work I noticed that the engine was becoming rather boomy as if the exhaust was blowing.

I got to work without any issues, and home again. I also went to college this morning which is probably equidistant really and got home with no problems but definitely noticing the boomy engine since the issue the other night.

Took it in to my local garage (recommended by a neighbour) on my way to collecting the little one from the childminders and as soon as I told him what the problem was the other night, he said it is usually either a split pipe at the front of the engine bay (I can't remember what he said it was for) or the injectors, or the fuel pump if it was cutting out which it hasn't. Since the injectors have been replaced in November gone he said he's 90% confident they won't be the problem.

As soon as he started the engine, he said he could hear it booming and said he wondered if it was something to do with the turbo or EGR valve so had a look then jacked it up and found the front pipe of the exhaust was completely broken and snapped. He said he wouldn't put his house on it but that could be the problem as a sudden drop in pressure would affect the EGR valve which could cause the light to come on and would explain why since it's been broken, the light hasn't come back on as although it's broken, it's a stable pressure for now.

He talks a good talk, so I'll give it a shot and fix the exhaust and see if it happens again. It's definitely broken, and it's cheaper than the other fixes so we'll see if it makes it better for now. Fingers crossed.

Good luck amateurs

whats the problem jouxy, bills pretty stressed over this, try giving a little help, it makes you feel good!

Hello Bill, I am sorry to hear you are having trouble so soon after buying your car, If it makes you feel any better I too have had to lend some money to buy what I thought was going to be a good car...... I bought it in good faith and about 20 miles into my trip home the glow plug light started to flash, loosing power, and a strange smell from the exhaust, ive owned this car for two weeks and have never drove it since getting it home, it just wont start!!!!!! It sounds like its going to but never can get of the starter motor.

Im very fed up and hope you get sorted and then maybe you can help me.

My car is also a 130tdci 52.

Good look Bill

Regards Ellery

Well here we are, I wondered how long it would take for something to go badly wrong with the car.

As you may be aware, I have only owned the car since Boxing Day so right now I'm not in the best of moods.

Was just driving home from Newcastle which involves about 20miles up the A1 and just as I was turning off the A1, I noticed the power disappear from the car and the Glow Plug light start flashing. As I still had another 4 miles to go I just eased right off and drove home as gently as possible and stopped outside my house.

To my utter dispair, I've since looked in the manual and found nothing about this issue, so moved onto the internet and am very, very concerned at the amount of posts I have found in forums about people having this problem and never getting to the bottom of it, more often than not having to shell out thousands in the process.

I have however just found a receipt in amongst my documents detailing some work carried out on the car not so long ago by Furrows Ltd in Telford, which sounds awfully relevant. It reads:

"Customer states glow plug light is flashing and not running correctly - being towed in - customer authorises 1/2 hour only at £37.50+VAT to start - please advise. Carries out IDS diagnostic checks on vehicle for concern. Removed injectors for examination, fitted 4 reconditioned injectors, programmed to vehicle & retested."

This work was carried out in November 2010, cost the previous owner £952.35 and the car has done less than 3000 miles since.

I paid £1300 for the car and had to borrow money to pay for it so I am very close to panic over what the hell I am going to do coz I certainly cannot afford to pay that kind of money to have the car fixed, especially if the same thing is going to happen in less than another 3000 miles.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do other than get Ford to plug it in to see what the diagnostics say?

I can't believe this. I simply cannot afford to have a massive bill on my hands to sort this out.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I am seriously jacked off with the 2.2ST TDCI !!. Since Xmas the car has had a new clutch + flywheel , new stainless MIJ exhaust, service, rear springs and now the !Removed! glow plug light is flashing like a lunatic !!!

I have taken the car to the local garage several times (with and without the glow plug light flashing) and NO FAULT CODE has been logged.

I got home tonight and the glow plug light is flashing like mad , the power is down 'limp home mode' i got out of the car and left it running and noticed that the exhaust note had changed (sounds like someone out a hairdryer in the exhaust system at tick over) I got the spare key out of the house and popped the bonnet. Had a look :-) under it and everything seemed normal, however when I revved it to around 3000rpm I noticed the whosshing noise is louder that sounds like a dump valve. I think the EGR valve is located at the nearest point to the windscreen in the engine bay and I can see the rail / actuator move when revved.

As soon as I turned off the engine and then restarted it the exhaust note was normal and the glow plug light has gone out.

I think EGR valve is at fault , cos if a pipe was split then the problem would not go away. The only thing i have noticed ...... is that since MIJ fitted the pipe when you change gear you get a whoosh sound but i think it is down to the pipe. Correct me if i am wrong.

Any ideas suggestions and recommendations would be gratefully recieved..................................................but for the love of god tell me the TURBO is NOT knackered !!

'I think the EGR valve is located at the nearest point to the windscreen in the engine bay and I can see the rail / actuator move when revved.'

thats the turbo mate,

the egr is located at the front left of the engine as you look at it. has a big hose going into it from the intercooler

As above, sounds like a pipe split too me though

• 1 year later...

If its not a split egr pipe, try a new fuel filter, if you get your fuel from asda etc its a common fault

Got a similar problem with mine and on diagnostic 1&4 injector knock so luckily garage who I bought it off is standing warranty work, they replaced all 4 which was very kind of them but where having problems recoding and getting running right so they tried another set of injectors and same problem, I'm not car mechanic but I've work on motorbikes for years and did a little digging about myself via the forum and suggested to them the diesel fuel pump as these can give up and allow small fragments of metal through the filter and damaging injectors so they checked the fuel filter for its contents and hey presto looks like this was the original problem but damaged injectors aswell, it's a costly job to have done at garage as you'll need to flush the complete system from tank through to injectors but you'll halve the cost if your good with the spanners and from what I've been told through garage friends out of all the super markets for fuel ( every little helps ) is the main one to stay away from for diesel ( not naming them lol ) luckily for me it's not costing me a penny but I've been without my car for last 3 weeks which is a right pain in the !Removed!, I know you here a lot of bad things about mondeos but that's what forums are all about, show me a forum that does nothing by praise the car as don't think there's any and the cars are a good car as let's be honest taxi drivers use them, police have used them so the readability can't be that bad ;-)

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone. My Mondeo 2.0ltr TDI 2005 model had the flashing heater plug light problem and also the engine management light was on permenant, with loss of engine power.

I read several comments and the EGR valve popped up many times as a possible problem. Given that you can remove it in less than 15 mins, and the fact that cleaning it thoroughly costs nothing, this seemed a good place to start.

I can confirm the valve was full of gungy oil and carbon deposits at least 1cm thick in places. It took longer to clean it than to remove it, however the car is now running superb and the two warning lights are gone.

If you are not too confident with spanners then there is a video on u-tube showing exactly what to do and how it works. There are only 4 small bolts, 1 hose clip and an electrical multi plug to disconnect, so very straightforward. Hope this helps

Hi all,

Just had another pipe fitted from the Turbo to the EGR vale. I had the pipe already as it was leaking and putting fumes into the cabin of the car, and had the EGR valve cleaned out at the same time. I had a flashing glow plug light and limp mode, and engine management light on (code P2263, boost issue). I thought as I had the pipe I might as well get it fitted first. Although the fault was a boost issue, I thought I had to start somewhere ? Anyway took the car for a spin this morning and gave it a good run. The car was going great and I even took it back to the garage to tell them all is well, They asked me to rev the engine, which I did and the mechanic said the engine is smoking. Of course I told him "its done 136,000 what do you expect". I turned the engine off (went to the loo !!!!), Re-started it, drove it away for 100 yards and the glow plug light was flashing and limp mode. I went into town (down a hill), parked the car for a couple of hours. Drove it home and it had plenty of power, and no light on......What is going on ????? any ideas ????