Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking - Drivers Door, Common Problem?

cressws1

Morning all and a happy new year.

A new minor issue with my focus is that the drivers door does not lock/unlock when I press the button on the remote fob, All the other doors operate via this method and the indicators flash for the deadlock etc. The drivers door locks/unlocks fine if I use the key in the door and this method also operates the central locking (All doors) without any problem. Is it a case of the drivers door mechanism running on a seperate fuse that may have blown?

I've seen a few central locking issues but nothing like this on here, Can anyone help?

The driver's side lock motor does not have a separate fuse. It could be a broken wire in the loom where it passes through into the door - this one gets the most flexing of any on the car - or a faulty lock motor.

The drivers door solenoid operates the other doors, so I would be looking at that first. It might just need some wd40 sprayed on it.

I have this problem too .

I don't fix it , because i have to change all lock door system and it very expensive.

I lock the car with key always .

Some people try to use wb40 for lubrification the system .

The drivers door solenoid operates the other doors, so I would be looking at that first. It might just need some wd40 sprayed on it.

Not strictly correct. It's the microswitch in the lock that triggers the other locks and the OP states that they work if he locks the door with the key so that must be ok. I therefore stick to the idea that it's a dodgy solenoid or a break in the wiring to it.

Looking around the internet this solenoid seems to get mentioned a fair bit. Question is, What the hell is a solenoid? And where am I likely to find it? Im guessing this is going to involve me removing the drivers door card (cant wait for that). I've nipped out and saturated the lock mechanism, keyhole, and gaps around the handle with WD40 just in case something might have seized up due to the recent minus temperatures.

The solenoid is the linear motor that pushes and pulls the locking mechanism. It's part and parcel of the door latch and, yes, you'll have to take off the door card to get to it.

Because all the locks work together there's no reason why the driver's lock would be more likely to have problems than any of the others. Of course it's possible that water can enter the via the keyhole and freeze inside the mechanism but since you said that the lock worked ok with the key that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Hi Cress

have a look at diagrams attached it would seem that the locking is controled by central

unit A11 and not drivers door.

i would start by chgecking for damaged wire as suggested by MJT.

tom

post-13968-0-48672400-1294599588_thumb.j

post-13968-0-08423000-1294599603_thumb.j

Thanks for the advice guys.

After letting the WD40 do its stuff and, as a last resort, giving the door panel a right good whack it seems to be working fine. Will keep hold of the links and stuff above incase it re-occurs.

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...

im having problems locking my passenger rear door. it locks when i deadlock it but it wont when i click once on the fob. also i found that my indicators flash when i deadlock but not when i unlock or click once on the fob to lock. any ideas i only bought the car monday so i am a newbie to these cars

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar problem with my 2000(W) ford focus LX, I always double lock (deadlock) my car at night and the other morning I discovered the drivers door lock has stuck in the locked position, It wont open wih the key or the fob (key and fob are one unit) fob locks & unlocks other three doors, as does the key, but only when inserted into the passenger door lock, and as it was deadlocked I can't even open the drivers door manually from inside the car therefore have to enter and leave via the passenger door.

I've reset both the central locking system and the fob, I've tried WD40 in the lock all with no luck, i'm not sure if I can get to the locking mechanism with the door closed.

You can undo the bit by the door handle but you wont be able to take the whole panel off without breaking it. Check to see if the metal wire is connected to the handle. Will be hard to see but u have no other way that i kno of. If it not try and get plyers on it and pull it to see if the door opens. I never had problem unlocking. Only locking on 1 of my doors but that got cured when i changed the battery in the key fob

You can undo the bit by the door handle but you wont be able to take the whole panel off without breaking it. Check to see if the metal wire is connected to the handle. Will be hard to see but u have no other way that i kno of. If it not try and get plyers on it and pull it to see if the door opens. I never had problem unlocking. Only locking on 1 of my doors but that got cured when i changed the battery in the key fob.

sorry about.double.post had problems sending first time

Edited by tmzy

Thanks for the reply tommy, I got into the car this morning and the rouge lock seems to have come unstuck, after climbing over the passenger seat (again) I managed to unlock it using the handle inside the door, the door will now opern with the key 'but not the fob' other three doors open though with the fob,

I regurarly park under a tree at night and at this time of year the car frequently gets a liberal coating of tree sap (along with a genorous donation from the birds) therefore assuming the tree sap might be seeping down through the window seal and clogging the connections etc, I gave both the lock and the machanism behind the handle a good sparay with WD40 followed with hot water poured down through the window seal (window open) then another load of WD40 again and left it overnight.

Now that I've got the door open I'll have to take the panel off and give the locking components a good clean, Do i have to disconnect ant switches or wires to remove the panel and Is there anything I should avoid messing with when the panels off?.

You will have to disconnect the electric window switch but apart from that there should be nothing else on the door panel itself. As for the lock i couldn't really tell you as i have never done it on a focus. If you take the door panel off and see foam at the bottom of the door itself. Don't worry its just foam. People have mistaken them as an airbag

almost forgot. If you have electric mirrors then you need to unclip that bit of plastic the switch sits on. You don't have to unplug it. Just need to unclip it to take the door card off. Then its just undo the screws holding the door card off. You will find to screws hiding behind the door handle

Edited by tmzy

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Just an update. In the end I fitted an after market kit to the GEM myself. Cost £8 lol This issue really did wind me up! Cheers for the help.😀😀😀😀😀

• 1 month later...
Hello, I have a 2001 2.0 zetec and the passenger door is the issue. It locks manually but doesn't move when using the key button. If the door is unlocked the other doors will try to lock but is unable to because that one doesn't move.( in guessing it tries because I have recently disconnected the battery so could be resetting the central locking) when I unlock the drivers door with the key. It only does the drivers door. When I do the passenger door it does all 4 doors. Central locking works when the passenger door is locked and it will open the other 3. Any suggestions i can try to resolve this? The door locks but only with the key... It is rather annoying to drive the car and the doors try to lock but is unable to because the passenger front doesn't...
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  

• 4 years later...
On 8/4/2016 at 4:03 PM, Mattypompy said:

Hi Guys,

Just an update. In the end I fitted an after market kit to the GEM myself. Cost £8 lol This issue really did wind me up! Cheers for the help.😀😀😀😀😀

Does anyone know what the after market kit is?

After more than 4 years since the last post I would guess it may not exsist anymore

On 7/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, unofix said:

After more than 4 years since the last post I would guess it may not exsist anymore

I am hoping it does

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club