Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Failure

magpiemad

Hi everyone im new to this site and in real need of help if anyone has had this problem! i took a friend to milton keynes and back yesterday (from london) was a really smooth drive and the car was a pleasure to drive (FORD FOCUS MP3 1.8 ZETEC 2003)i dropped my friend home got about 2 miles away and was stopped at traffic lights when i tried to pull away the car moved forward then the power just died i tried to turn the car over it just made a (kinda whining noise "vague i know" but the engine wasnt trying to start i done the fault code check and it came back DTC9318 (battery low voltage) also the r22 and eoo1 any help advice etc would be great

First thoughts are snapped timing belt, but it would need to be inspected.

fault codes may relate to what has happened but they may also be old codes that haven't been cleared from the ecu

First thoughts are snapped timing belt, but it would need to be inspected.

fault codes may relate to what has happened but they may also be old codes that haven't been cleared from the ecu

ive checked the timing belt its fine a friend who isnt a mechanic but does a lot of work on his cars over the years said it sounded like the starter motor was turning but as though its not turning the engine ?

Might be worth removing the battery and having it load tested in that case. most places will do this FOC in hope of a sale. if you replace the battery, make sure you use a calcium type battery.

Might be worth removing the battery and having it load tested in that case. most places will do this FOC in hope of a sale. if you replace the battery, make sure you use a calcium type battery.

thanks for replying my mate who looked at the car for me tried the battery from his 1.8 focus it was no different grrrrr

thanks for replying my mate who looked at the car for me tried the battery from his 1.8 focus it was no different grrrrr

doesnt explain why it cut out but, you say the starter motor is whining and sound like it may be turning but not the engine? If it we me i would be looking into why its turning (might not be) and not the engine too.

doesnt explain why it cut out but, you say the starter motor is whining and sound like it may be turning but not the engine? If it we me i would be looking into why its turning (might not be) and not the engine too.

sorry Steph i may be wrong that its the starter motor thats actually whining sounds like it is coming from there but im not certain doesnt look straight forward getting to the starter have you ever replaced one or seen it done

sorry Steph i may be wrong that its the starter motor thats actually whining sounds like it is coming from there but im not certain doesnt look straight forward getting to the starter have you ever replaced one or seen it done

Ive never had to do a starter on a focus before tbh, but looking at haynes for a 98-01 1.8 - its very straight forward. its not clear on where is best to remove the bolts from, but it does mention jacking the car up so presumably from underneath.

if the starter motor is the problem, it doesnt explain the cutting out or even the fault code (if its not an old one). im pretty stumped here. only thing i can think of is the starter motor has stuck on and the engine has been turning it when your driving?

does everything else work? lights, wipers etc?

Ive never had to do a starter on a focus before tbh, but looking at haynes for a 98-01 1.8 - its very straight forward. its not clear on where is best to remove the bolts from, but it does mention jacking the car up so presumably from underneath.

if the starter motor is the problem, it doesnt explain the cutting out or even the fault code (if its not an old one). im pretty stumped here. only thing i can think of is the starter motor has stuck on and the engine has been turning it when your driving?

thanks for the reply you and i are both stumped your theory on the starter being jammed while im driving sounds very feasible something worth looking at

thanks for the reply you and i are both stumped your theory on the starter being jammed while im driving sounds very feasible something worth looking at

I just hope it is a simple starter motor job and that there isn't any ECU problems.

Keep us updated with anything you find

ive had a few lighting problems lately and had to replace my HID BALLAST units a couple of weeks ago also the offside flasher blew so when i replaced the bulb it blew again that was two days ago os havent had it looked at et thanks for replying

I just hope it is a simple starter motor job and that there isn't any ECU problems.

Keep us updated with anything you find

if / when i find out ill certainly let you know what the fault was keep your fingers crossed

You should get the battery checked first and then check for engine damage.

ive tried three batteries from other focuses absolutely no change and the batteries all worked on the cars i borrowed them from before and after ive had a mobile mechanic look and he said he hasnt got a clue

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club