Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking Noise On Startup

Saad

All,

I bought a 2007 1.8 Ford Focus (petrol)six months ago - mileage just over 13K. Recently, I have noticed a clicking noise when I start the engine...the noise seems to go away when I drive and once the engine has warmed up, I can't hear it anymore. Is it because the engine is cold in the mornings? or is it something else..say timing belt etc?

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated folks!

Saad

I'd suggest getting the battery tested to be sure it is receiving the correct charge. The clicking at start up would be the starter (so that seems to be doing it's job but I would want to get it checked also) looking for the power from the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Saad,

Just discovered your post. I'm having a similar issue with my focus. Hav had the car about 3 weeks and it has been doing this 'ticking' / 'clicking' noise since I had it. I initially thought it was just the cold weather but now that's passed the noise is still apparent.

Have you discovered what the issue is yet? I'm thinking it might be some kind of sticky valve in the engine.....the ticking is very loud when the engine is first turned on, but then dies away as I drive it, however upon careful listening you can still just babout hear it ticking away even when the engine is warmed up.

See my post in the focus forum from yesterday where I write about it in a bit more detail.

Cheers,

PS3 NUT

Have you guys popped the bonnet and got someone to start the engine, can you pinpoint where abouts the bay its coming from?

Have you had an oil change recently? I have heard before of the oil being old and unchanged, and because its not providing quite the right lubrication on starting it sounds a little rough, but as the oil heats up and gets "loose" for lack of a better word, it then spreads the lubrication?

May be the case here, or maybe thats just Citroens...

• 1 year later...

Ive got the same issue, 1.4 duratec(ecotec se under airbox) just changed oil and filter,still there. Def sounds like its from timing cover area,poss the rollers or tensioner,are they belt or chain?

All,

I bought a 2007 1.8 Ford Focus (petrol)six months ago - mileage just over 13K. Recently, I have noticed a clicking noise when I start the engine...the noise seems to go away when I drive and once the engine has warmed up, I can't hear it anymore. Is it because the engine is cold in the mornings? or is it something else..say timing belt etc?

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated folks!

Saad

If your 1.8 petrol is a Duratec HE engine it is chain driven so it won't be the timing belt. If the clicking noise is coming from the rocker box area it could be tappets.

• 7 years later...

i'm having the same issue, ive had the cambelt kit and water pump but still getting the same issue, anyone found a solution yet, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

ive found that if you put the ignition on and wait for the some of the fuel pump, then start, it doesnt make that sound

Have a read through this topic from a while back.

Sounds to me that you have piston slap.

ScaniaPBman.