stevesey

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDDI

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hi all

Just bought an '04 1.8 TDDI.

Have noticed a slight "grumbling" noise in slow traffic queues if I pull away without using any gas and let the car pull itslef along at idle speed with my feet off the pedals. Noise goes as soon as I apply a little gas and speed up to > 1000rpm. Any ideas?

It's my first diesel, so I'm not sure if this could be diesel related (not like the nornal clatter thouugh) or gearbox related.

Thanks

Steve

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,885 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi all

Just bought an '04 1.8 TDDI.

Have noticed a slight "grumbling" noise in slow traffic queues if I pull away without using any gas and let the car pull itslef along at idle speed with my feet off the pedals. Noise goes as soon as I apply a little gas and speed up to > 1000rpm. Any ideas?

It's my first diesel, so I'm not sure if this could be diesel related (not like the nornal clatter thouugh) or gearbox related.

Thanks

Steve

the problems likely the fact youre letting the car pull away with no gas meaning the engine is being laboured

#3 stevesey

stevesey

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDDI

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

the problems likely the fact youre letting the car pull away with no gas meaning the engine is being laboured

Well no other car I have owned has ever done this (ECU adjusts fuelling/throttle to maintain idle speed anyway - very little different from applying gentle right foot yourself, which you used to have to do to trickle along). Perhaps it's just a diesel thing?

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users