Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec Auto

Phil F

Hi all,

Just joined,I hope somebody can help and I can stay around a while!

I have inherited a 1.6 zetec auto,03 plate,11,000(!) miles which is in superb original condition but I have a couple of issues to resolve if I keep it.

One,the engine,the only way to describe it is very whirry,particularly when cold.Our local indie had a look at it and demonstrated to me that it was not coming from the alternator or power steering pump by taking auxilliary belt off.They changed cam belt kit just to see if that cured it......still the same.Anyone had this?

Two,the seats are very hard.A common complaint I gather.Is there any mod to these seats at all?I cannot drive it any distance as I get cramp.

Cheers....Phil.

Hi all,

Just joined,I hope somebody can help and I can stay around a while!

I have inherited a 1.6 zetec auto,03 plate,11,000(!) miles which is in superb original condition but I have a couple of issues to resolve if I keep it.

One,the engine,the only way to describe it is very whirry,particularly when cold.Our local indie had a look at it and demonstrated to me that it was not coming from the alternator or power steering pump by taking auxilliary belt off.They changed cam belt kit just to see if that cured it......still the same.Anyone had this?

Two,the seats are very hard.A common complaint I gather.Is there any mod to these seats at all?I cannot drive it any distance as I get cramp.

Cheers....Phil.

when they took off the auxilliary belt off, did the 'whirry' noise go away? on the aux drive belt train there is the belt tensioner which houses a bearing, and also a belt idler which also houses a bearing. i had similar 'whirry'/ asthmatic noises from my focus especially when cold. both the tensioner and idler bearing were on theyre way out, especially the idler. your car has'nt done the mileage to wear the bearings but it could be age related. i know you've had the cambelt done but did they change the idlers at the same time?

when they took off the auxilliary belt off, did the 'whirry' noise go away? on the aux drive belt train there is the belt tensioner which houses a bearing, and also a belt idler which also houses a bearing. i had similar 'whirry'/ asthmatic noises from my focus especially when cold. both the tensioner and idler bearing were on theyre way out, especially the idler. your car has'nt done the mileage to wear the bearings but it could be age related. i know you've had the cambelt done but did they change the idlers at the same time?

Hi,

No,when the aux.belt was removed,the noise was still there.Yes,it was a full Ford cambelt kit.They said they could investigate further but then would get expensive.They feel that if some mileage was put on it,it may improve?Shame because it spoils what seems like a nice drive.

Thanks for your reply.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club