243 replies to this topic

#1 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec Climate Estate

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hi

Not sure if you guys on here know this, but the majority of the current Focus models are prewired for the footwell lights - you just plug the bulbs in! I've done this on my 55 plate Zetec and on two of my workmates cars who have 08 plate Zetec's.

Just letting you know anyway as its a nice little extra to have and it only costs a couple of quid for the bulbs.

If anyone else knows of any similar enhancements that can be made on the cheap let me know.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

i've had a look in my 2006 1.8tdci and there is no wiring for the footwells. had the glovebox out and all sorts nothing. so it must have been removed at some point.

#3 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.8 zetec, Mark II, petrol (manu 56 reg)

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi

Not sure if you guys on here know this, but the majority of the current Focus models are prewired for the footwell lights - you just plug the bulbs in! I've done this on my 55 plate Zetec and on two of my workmates cars who have 08 plate Zetec's.

Just letting you know anyway as its a nice little extra to have and it only costs a couple of quid for the bulbs.

If anyone else knows of any similar enhancements that can be made on the cheap let me know.

I am really interested in this thread. Where is the footwell light meant to be and where can i find the wiring?

#4 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

Put your hand up the inside of the footwell by the centre console. You will see a little round black bit of plastic that looks a bit like a rawl plug. Bung the bulb in there! Its one of the little bulbs like you might put in a sidelight or your wing indicator. w5w is it?

So basically it doesn't look like a normal light within the car as there is no cover and its not one of those little sausage bulbs like the other lights.

All the Zetec Climate models I have come across have had this and just needed the bulbs pushing in to the holder.

#5 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Put your hand up the inside of the footwell by the centre console. You will see a little round black bit of plastic that looks a bit like a rawl plug. Bung the bulb in there! Its one of the little bulbs like you might put in a sidelight or your wing indicator. w5w is it?

So basically it doesn't look like a normal light within the car as there is no cover and its not one of those little sausage bulbs like the other lights.

All the Zetec Climate models I have come across have had this and just needed the bulbs pushing in to the holder.

I will do a search for the rawl plug in a minute.
Once i found the rawl plug, is it meant to go anywhere with the bulb plugged in? Does it require a cover?

#6 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Nice one, pugboy :)

starfield,

your not looking up the actual "side" of the centre consul. It's nearer to the side of the centre consul, than being dead centre of the footwell opening space. Its right of centre of footwell space on passenger side, left of centre on drivers side.

Its in a fixed situation pointing downwards, just push a bulb in....that's it sorted nothing else to do.

#7 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

I must check this on ol' fellas mk2 55 plate also. I never spotted this when changing his pollen filter ha. Are there light bulb holders for both footwells?

#8 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Are there light bulb holders for both footwells?

Is the pope catholic ;)

#9 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,471 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info. It looks like all the the Focus's have the bulb holders. Just found them on my 09 plate which is a Style version with mods. I put some blue bulbs in and they look great. Im pretty sure my Mk1 Focus had these and so did all three of my Mondeo's.

#10 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

What's the exact wattage of the bulb?This is an excellent feature as there has been a few times i've dropped things in the footwell at night and could do with this bulb. Thanks for the info.

#11 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I have got a 1.8L petrol zetec climate, 56 reg. I have been looking but could not find anything in which to plug a light bulb.
Some pictures will be very helpful.

#12 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,471 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

What's the exact wattage of the bulb?This is an excellent feature as there has been a few times i've dropped things in the footwell at night and could do with this bulb. Thanks for the info.

5 watts. Same as a sidelight bulb.

#13 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

You want bulbs like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2#ht_2294wt_821

You can get LED one's, but I have found them to be no brighter and they tend to have a blue tinge.

#14 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

You want bulbs like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2#ht_2294wt_821

You can get LED one's, but I have found them to be no brighter and they tend to have a blue tinge.

I paid 2.99 in Motorworld today :(

#15 starfield

starfield

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I have been looking for where the bulb should go. I can find where it is meant to be; it is a hard plastic bracket on the frame but there is no bulb holder, nor wires. Do I need to look for the wires somewhere else?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users