Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,252 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

could they need activating by ford in the ECU? id get a multimeter onto them and see if i can trace where they lead.

My mate has a multimeter, hes going to try it out tomorrow thanks for the idea, hope to get them working would be a nice touch, its due a service next month i may ask the garage to get them working if i cant lol driving me mad first rusting boot and now this Proverbial :angry: :lol:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 IMW

IMW

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Ford Model: '06 Focus 2.0 Ghia Estate Auto

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Bulbs fitted and working straight away in my '06 Ghia.

#33 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,252 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Got my mate to hook up the multimeter to the bulb terminals today and thereís no power going to them at all, checked fuses already and they are all their mine is a 1.6TDCI Style manufactured July 2010 the only difference in my model and the rest of you guys is mine is in KMPH as Iím from Ireland, does anyone have any other ideas I could try, the cables are leading from the bulbs to the fuse box in the loom and everything and have Haynes manual all should be fine canít figure out where the break in connection is,

Last resort is to pay ford to sort it for me as i really want them working, :(

mite get a black sheep sticker for the rear :lol: ford focus black sheep style :lol: (only one with no footwell lights)

#34 shawty1984

shawty1984

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S (59)

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Got my mate to hook up the multimeter to the bulb terminals today and there's no power going to them at all, checked fuses already and they are all their mine is a 1.6TDCI Style manufactured July 2010 the only difference in my model and the rest of you guys is mine is in KMPH as I'm from Ireland, does anyone have any other ideas I could try, the cables are leading from the bulbs to the fuse box in the loom and everything and have Haynes manual all should be fine can't figure out where the break in connection is,

Last resort is to pay ford to sort it for me as i really want them working, :(

mite get a black sheep sticker for the rear :lol: ford focus black sheep style :lol: (only one with no footwell lights)

I wouldn't bother with the hassle to be honest. They are only lights, lights that go off for the most usage the car will get.

#35 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

If you have found the wires , why not loop from the main courtesy and remove the feed wire to the footwell lights , therefore it will work the same and removing the feed in the fuse box will avoid and conflicts if it does feed from ecu.

#36 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,252 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

If you have found the wires , why not loop from the main courtesy and remove the feed wire to the footwell lights , therefore it will work the same and removing the feed in the fuse box will avoid and conflicts if it does feed from ecu.

I agree with what your saying mate
if this was on my previous car i would have no problem with doing that,
but ive bought this car brand new its my third child i wont even let any1 eat in it :)
I dont want to be adding custom cables to it just yet, incase their is a simple way of correcting it as it is,
Id be sorry then had i cut the existing ones.

thanks for the post though and welcome to the forum. :)

#37 MARLEY

MARLEY

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Name: PAUL
  • Ford Model: MK2 FOCUS 2.0 TDCI GHIA
  • Year: 2007

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi

Not sure if you guys on here know this, but the majority of the current Focus models are prewired for the footwell lights - you just plug the bulbs in! I've done this on my 55 plate Zetec and on two of my workmates cars who have 08 plate Zetec's.

Just letting you know anyway as its a nice little extra to have and it only costs a couple of quid for the bulbs.

If anyone else knows of any similar enhancements that can be made on the cheap let me know.

hi
i have changed all my interior bulbs for led and makes a big difference, front side lights and number plate lights too

Paul
Stalybridge

#38 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

try a resistance check on the cables from fuse to bulb socket. this will show if the cables are broken or good. if you do it from the fuse, it will show if you have the right fuse etc.

values you should be looking at on the multimeter are around 0.06 for good.

if you get around 1 or more, you have the wrong fuse or wire is snapped.

#39 shooter1968

shooter1968

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Quinton
  • Ford Model: focus zetec s and focus st2
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

had 2 spare bulbs in the garage, cost of mod nothing. Bonus

#40 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

I agree with rhat your saying and if this was on my previous car i would have no problem with doing that, but ive bought this car brand new its my third child i wont even let any1 eat in it :) and i dont want to be adding custom cables to it just yet, incase their is a simple way of correcting it as it is, id be sorry then had i cut the existing ones.

thanks for the post though and welcome to the forum.

Ah, so you have a 1.6 TDCI like me and the footwell lights dont work or have no wiring and bulb holder. I'm sure someone else on here with a 1.6 TDCI does not have the lights also.

#41 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

im thinking there might be an option on the ECU that has to be turned on by Ford to activate this feature.

#42 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,516 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Dont think that is the case JohnH, could be wrong, but as its an electric circuit, I dont think the ECU will control a Switch to keep it permenantly off. I could be wrong, and if anyone can prove me wrong I will be happy to learn, but I suspect, its more likely to be a problem with the wiring. If its bought from new, you could take the car back to Ford and advise it seems to be "Faulty" - Warranty should equal free fix :)

#43 Nigel S

Nigel S

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Name: Nigel
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2 2.0 Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Don't rule the ECU/GEM out.

I remember someone having to to to Ford to have theirs programmed to tell it that the car had a heated windscreen added.

#44 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

jee - it would make sense if it was just an electrical circuit with a few switches...that would make everybodies lives far easier with hardly any fun. from personal exp of electrical circuits, not just in cars, the manufacturer wants to make things as hard as possible for the typical user and make money from them. i could be wrong also about this but you would like to think that a new car would have its wiring tip top with no issues...as what else could the manufacturer took shortcuts on?

nigel s - that would make sense, as when you have the battery light on the speedo unit for say an alternator issue, the heated windscreen is disabled...but that just goes to show how much power that takes to run it.

#45 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,516 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

I look forward to being proved wrong, because on thinking about it, my car has an option whereby if I drive over 15mph the car doors automatically lock, and unlock in the event of an accident. This has been disabled on the ECU, so I hope to be proven wrong!

Otherwise I would be disappointed also if there was any wiring issue. I suppose if you get a multimeter reading in the fuse board for that particular loom, then it could be more a switch issue...

Will be interesting to see the results!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users