• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silver_shadow

silver_shadow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 2001 ford ikon 1.6 rocam
Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

my first post here. i'm writing in from india. i have a 2001 ford ikon 1.6. it's got a variation of the zetec engine - rocam. 1597cc, SOHC, 8V...

http://cars.whereinc...n/86/16-sxi.htm

i believe it's rather similar to the fiesta mk5 sold in the UK with the differences being it's a sedan and the the materials used in the engine internals... plus it's SOHC 2V per cylinder not DOHC 4V.

anyway, i had a nearly seized water pump replaced recently. i waited too long and it looks like the head gasket is fried. while i'm changing that, i thought i'll get the piston rings changed as well.

question - i've got a haynes manual for the zetec motor and it says that i can change piston rings with the engine still in the vehicle but it needs special preparation. the problem is that the manual that i have is not complete. i can't find the rest of the manual or indeed any other manual so i don't know what they mean by "special preparations". does anyone know about this or have a link or even some ebook i could download? :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 silver_shadow

silver_shadow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

PS: here's a pic of my car that i had lying around... :)

Posted Image

#3 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

as long as you have good access to the underside of the car a ring change shoud not be a problem.(if you have the required tools) can i ask why you would want to do this, is it low on compression?why do the extra work if its not required.

#4 silver_shadow

silver_shadow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

as long as you have good access to the underside of the car a ring change shoud not be a problem.(if you have the required tools) can i ask why you would want to do this, is it low on compression?why do the extra work if its not required.

well i haven't yet got a compression test done. as i mentioned earlier the head gasket seems to be fried and there's a resultant loss of power. you have to rev her up before she gets moving. right now i'm not even sure whether i need to get the rings done.

how can i tell if i need to change the rings while i'm doing the gasket? i don't want to do them seperately if possible.

and can you elaborate on how i can change the rings from the underside? do you mean elevate the car? does this method involve removal of the engine?

#5 silver_shadow

silver_shadow

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

bump. anyone have any suggestions on how i can get to know whether i need to change the rings when i open the head and change the head gasket?

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users