#1 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi all,been having a strange problem with my 2005 2.0TDCI Titanium saloon (93k on the clock) over the past 3 weeks. It’s a rev issue. Its so far happened 4 times.

I turn the engine on, press the clutch down and put the car into 1st gear, then I slowly press the accelerator down and lift the clutch but the revs only seem to climb a bit and really slowly (and the motion of the car is a bit jumpy)……to the point where I cant really get out of first gear! So I have to stop, put the car in neutral and press the accelerator petal down (not hard) and wait for the revs to get up to around 1,600rpm (which can take around 6 seconds) then it suddenly corrects itself and is fine, revs respond as normal. Its only ever happened from a standing position in 1st gear….have never had a loss of revs/power in any other gear.

Also the car does kinda idle ok at around 900rpm, but have noticed that sometimes when I start the engine the revs hover a little between 700-900rpm for a while before settleing at 900rpm

Ive had it happen when the engine has been warm and cold so don’t think its to do with that. Anyone else experienced this? Is the most likey culprit a sooted up EGR valve? Or could it be something more simple than that? I hope it is something more simple because im gona get the CAM belt, tensioners, water pump changed in early march and don’t wana have to fork out for any other major repairs!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,209 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Sounds either valve or sensor related. EGR valve does sound the most likely bet. have you dont the dashboard trick and seen any errors?

#3 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

i havnt tried the dashboard trick yet but since ive owned the car (about 4 months now) i havnt seen one error light come up on the dash...and am i right in thinking the car will only record errors if a warning light comes on? would it record an error if there was something not quite right with the EGR or throttle position sensor? i did wonder wether it could be something to do with the throttle position sensor, I know the EGR costs a lot to have replaced (£300-£400) would a throttle position sensor be expensive too?

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

The car will record all errors wether a light shows or not (some codes can only be accessed by the diagnostics machines at a dealers!?) but there are a lot of errors that will be captured without an error light.

as for the TPS, I havent yet come across one needing to be replaced so couldnt really advise.

#5 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

right, i tried the dashboard trick and all seemed fine apart from this DTC #01 D900 is this even an error code? If so anyone know what it means? and how do i know this is a current error code and not one from ages ago which was corrected?

#6 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

found this out about the d900 error

The instrument cluster fault code D900 means...." non specific can communications interruption "

This does NOT mean you have a fault on the car. It's merely reporting that the networking around the car had an unidentified interuption in power supply.....so.....had a flat battery or jump start recently ?, maybe battery been disconnected for some reason ?

If the answer is no to the above, then have your battery tested. If battery is ok, have a battery reset done and code should disappear. ( remove negative lead from battery and hold to +ve lead for 2 minutres).

#7 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,680 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Mk2.5 Focus ZetecS 1.6TDCi superleggero
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Perhaps check all your induction hoses and connections as a slight gap or slit can take away from the vacume .

#8 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

yeah good call lenny will do that:-)

#9 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Just thought id update you all on the problem with my Focus that id been having. I did check all hoses and pipes and couldnt find any cracks,gaps or slits. so that was good.

Its been over a week now and the problem hasnt reoccured as yet. and the only thing I have done different is fill up with Shell Vpower diesel instead of ordinary diesel. So im starting to think it was due to some dodgy diesel. I also added some red x and gave gave the car a good blast on the motorway.

Also it does idle better, still not perfect altho when the engine gets up to temp it seems ok. When starting it from cold the needle hovers around 900rpm sometimes dipping ever so slightly but then correcting itself straight away. I think i was getting too carried away and assuming the worst eg EGR, fuel injection pumps etc.

So hopefully all is ok and when i get a new cam belt fitted next month i wont have to fork out to have anything else done!

#10 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Car has gone into my local Ford garage today to have CAM belt and water pump changed. Am still occasionally getting the slow throttle responce issue, which has become more regular (even happened in 2nd gear the other day)....still no warning lights or error codes. So the garage are gona look into that for me too. will keep you all updated if they find out the cause!

#11 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,138 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

could be some could be something really simple such as a fuel filter (if fitted).

#12 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Ford just this minute phoned....they've fitted the new CAM belt and water pump, thats all fine, was also having an issue with the drivers side headlight which they say they have fixed, something to do with loose wiring.

In terms of the slow throttle responce they said that they took the car out on 2 test runs and it seemed fine....they checked for error codes and said a 'soft code' had been written which could indicate the EGR isnt quite oppereating how it should be...but he did say that the code didnt mean for certain that it was the EGR but in his experience the culprit is usually the EGR. He said to give it a few more weeks and see what happens.......but it looks like im gona have to save up for new EGR valve which i know cost the best part of £300 through Ford:-(

If i have a EGR valve does this mean i have a DPF?? forgot to b1oody ask him on the phone wether i had one. I did ask them to check for me to see if i have got one though so will hopefully find out tonight when i pick it up

#13 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Likely as not yes you will have the Damned par-crapulated filter! I'm not 100% sure though...

#14 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I will find out once and for all if have one tonight when i go to pick car up! bet i b1oody have:-(

My next question is.....Has anyone recently had their EGR valve replaced by Ford? if so what was the cost?

#15 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

I DONT HAVE A DPF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) that has made my day.

right heres a bill breakdown for Cam belt and Water Pump change for those who are interested!

1 timing belt, tensioner & pully £134.63
1 Water Pump kit £117.08

Total labour for both those parts was £101

Total £352.71 which isnt bad.....then theres the old VAT

So total including VAT is £422.71

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users