Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Rack Gone Wrong Again...

Andy Knoxville

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but will be posting more in future now i've found this place :D

I've had my focus for about 6 years and about a year ago my power steering rack needed to be replaced as it was leaking power steering fluid badly.

I had the rack replaced with a recon rack from a local garage, it didn't ever feel as nice to drive again afterwards... about 6 months later the recon rack gave up the ghost, so the garage fitted anoth recon rack free of charge.

Now here's where the problems really started!!! When I drove the car out of the garage I nearly crashed as the wheel would not centrwe after turning! It just stayed in the same place. So I took it back ans was informed that the wheel alignment had not been carried out properly and that they'd sort it out.

Got the car back the next day and the steering still didn't feel right, but I decided to live with it.

Tonight I was driving home and it made a horrible graunching noise when turning left, a few minutes later the steering wheel will hardly turn left at all (almost like an invisible resistence...). It turns right just fine.

I'm seriously thinking of just going to a ford main dealer and getting a brand new one fitted, I love my car and it used to be a pleasure to drive, but this is really starting to pee me off!

Cheers!

Knoxville

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but will be posting more in future now i've found this place :D

I've had my focus for about 6 years and about a year ago my power steering rack needed to be replaced as it was leaking power steering fluid badly.

I had the rack replaced with a recon rack from a local garage, it didn't ever feel as nice to drive again afterwards... about 6 months later the recon rack gave up the ghost, so the garage fitted anoth recon rack free of charge.

Now here's where the problems really started!!! When I drove the car out of the garage I nearly crashed as the wheel would not centrwe after turning! It just stayed in the same place. So I took it back ans was informed that the wheel alignment had not been carried out properly and that they'd sort it out.

Got the car back the next day and the steering still didn't feel right, but I decided to live with it.

Tonight I was driving home and it made a horrible graunching noise when turning left, a few minutes later the steering wheel will hardly turn left at all (almost like an invisible resistence...). It turns right just fine.

I'm seriously thinking of just going to a ford main dealer and getting a brand new one fitted, I love my car and it used to be a pleasure to drive, but this is really starting to pee me off!

Cheers!

Knoxville

recon racks never last and ide never ever fit one either to be honest they are old racks with new usually poor seals a new rack is the only way to go

• 9 months later...

recon racks never last and ide never ever fit one either to be honest they are old racks with new usually poor seals a new rack is the only way to go

Did you have an accident before the first rack died? Did you have to change the pump as well along with the rack?

How long is the replacement?

I am just curious as I am waiting on a new rack to arrive for my "no accident" focus and just want to get an idea from someone whos been there and done that.

Arthur is right recon racks are a waste of time, had two my self, never again paid the price, from now on new all the way..cost more but worth it..:D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club