karld39

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Name: Karl
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 Climate Pack 08
  • Year: 2008

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have a 1.6 Focus Zetec 2008, I used to get around 34MPG, but since Fuel has gone up I have decided to start a bit of eco Driving and have managed to get an average of 41MPG which means my full tank has gone from 385 Miles to around 460. Due a service next month so its not being its most economical at the moment.

Is it possible to get much more than 41MPG out of the 1.6 ? , does anyone get much more ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 top banana

top banana

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 2011 in Mars Red
Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi, Is your Focus petrol or diesel? Cheers

#3 braindead

braindead

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 mk2 focus

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

i got over 41 on 3hr motorway trip around town its about 36-39 atm

#4 karld39

karld39

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Name: Karl
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 Climate Pack 08
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Its a petrol, I mainly do short journeys (7 miles a day ) but i do a 20 mile commute (40 miles return) 3 times a week on A roads.

#5 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus ST170
  • Year: 2004

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

41mpg bloodey hell im lucky to get 32 out of mine! that's with about a 15 mile trip so 30 in all but i am slightly heavy footed and my trip does include a massive steep hill which does require 4th gear with the foot hard down. On a good 3hr trip down south on the motorways it was doing at least 40mpg (chester to Southampton on 2/3 of a tank).

#6 pugboy

pugboy

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec Climate Estate

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

The earlier 1.6 foci would do 40mpg no problem. If you drive like a granny then the mk2 might manage it I guess. If you drive mostly around town than petrol cars can be pretty much as good as diesel's. I've always found my diesel cars needed a nice long cruise to get decent mpg out of them. My diesel will do about 45mpg average (late 30's around town).

#7 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

Well how about this:

cross country on A/B roads, plus through villages 6.30am, hence virtually no traffic, 37mph average speed returning 49mpg

Motorway, average speed 68mph returning 37.49mpg

both occasions three passengers.

Real world driving, with a lot of 1.5 mile journeys, cold engine starts town driving, two sets of traffic lights, at peak times: 17mpg

Annual average return 32.84mpg <_<

#8 Neilano

Neilano

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

i do a 80 mile round commute to work and i get 46 mpg on average cycle 80% a roads rest town driving driving at 65mph get 500 miles out of my tank

#9 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Just did a 815 mile round trip to Dorset, 422 miles of it was actual motorway. Returned 37.33 mpg on brimmed tanks, Dash Trip showed 39 mpg. Dash Trip also showed the motorway leg to Dorset as 40 mpg, and the rest of the trips @ 39 mpg.

Brimmed Tank versus Dash Trip, on this occasion I found there to be a 4.28% difference between to two. Or to put it another way the Dash Trip was over stating the MPG by 4.47% [1.67 mpg]

#10 Sara Fiesta

Sara Fiesta

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name: Sara
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2012

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Wow that's some very good figures for a petrol, mines a 1.6 TDci and im averaging 600 miles a tank it makes you wonder with the extra cost of diesel and extra cost of the car if diesel cars are really worth it? 

#11 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi, well seeing as I can get up 50mpg around town, driving like a complete granny, but normally average about 44 and I get 60mpg, but average 52mpg, on a run, with my heavy Mk4 Mondeo not known for their economy, I think buying diesels second hand are fine. Although my next car will be a Focus petrol, but only because it will use the same technology as a diesel, thus it will have good economy - I hope!

Chris

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi, well seeing as I can get up 50mpg around town, driving like a complete granny, but normally average about 44 and I get 60mpg, but average 52mpg, on a run, with my heavy Mk4 Mondeo not known for their economy, I think buying diesels second hand are fine. Although my next car will be a Focus petrol, but only because it will use the same technology as a diesel, thus it will have good economy - I hope!

Chris

dont figure that one out ive got a 1.8 town driving and not eco driving i get 35-37mpg b roads to work 9.3 miles there same back doing 65mph with hills and i still get 43mpg

#13 paramaniac

paramaniac

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Focus Zetec S 1.8 Petrol

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

I used to have a MK1 petrol 1.6, great car. I checked the MPG on a couple of occasions and it was doing about 40mpg. I wasn't even trying to drive economically.

#14 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

dont figure that one out ive got a 1.8 town driving and not eco driving i get 35-37mpg b roads to work 9.3 miles there same back doing 65mph with hills and i still get 43mpg

Hi, what don't you get, gearing might be different, mine's got a six speed, your's is an older 'lump', since then it's been remapped and now even more fun to drive with no loss of mpg's. It seems I'm able to drive economically. There is a owner over on the Talkford site that's about to try and get 900 miles out of one tankful. I'm sure he'll not mind me copying his post.

"Just wondering if anybody has ever managed to get 900 miles out of a single tank of fuel in a Mondy?
If I get away with not doing any 'Town' driving this weekend I should be on for it.
I've been busy decorating at home for the last couple of weeks so the only driving that I've been doing is long distance Motorway trips for work. Since I last filled up I've done 740 miles (95% cruising at a steady 60MPH on the Motorway), have plenty of juice left in the tank and the converse is telling me that I could top 1,000 miles (which I don't believe). On Tuesday morning I've got a 180 mile trip down to Hemel Hempstead, I'm aiming not to put any fuel in before I get there (but that depends on keeping the car on the drive over the Weekend).

I'll let you know how I do.

Regards"

Chris

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi, what don't you get, gearing might be different, mine's got a six speed, your's is an older 'lump', since then it's been remapped and now even more fun to drive with no loss of mpg's. It seems I'm able to drive economically. There is a owner over on the Talkford site that's about to try and get 900 miles out of one tankful. I'm sure he'll not mind me copying his post.

"Just wondering if anybody has ever managed to get 900 miles out of a single tank of fuel in a Mondy?
If I get away with not doing any 'Town' driving this weekend I should be on for it.
I've been busy decorating at home for the last couple of weeks so the only driving that I've been doing is long distance Motorway trips for work. Since I last filled up I've done 740 miles (95% cruising at a steady 60MPH on the Motorway), have plenty of juice left in the tank and the converse is telling me that I could top 1,000 miles (which I don't believe). On Tuesday morning I've got a 180 mile trip down to Hemel Hempstead, I'm aiming not to put any fuel in before I get there (but that depends on keeping the car on the drive over the Weekend).

I'll let you know how I do.

Regards"

Chris

s it possible to get much more than 41MPG out of the 1.6 ? , does anyone get much more ?

the bit i dont get is that an older less fuel efficient 1.8 thats a heavier engine with a 5 spd box is getting better economy than a modern 1.6 with 6 sp box designed to improve fuel economy and a lighter engine without having to drive economically smaller engine=better fuel economy so im getting more than 41mpg with a heavier older less fuel efficient engine on b roads as said with hills only 9.3 miles at 65mph no early shifts or being light with the foot

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users