Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg 1.6 Focus

karld39

I have a 1.6 Focus Zetec 2008, I used to get around 34MPG, but since Fuel has gone up I have decided to start a bit of eco Driving and have managed to get an average of 41MPG which means my full tank has gone from 385 Miles to around 460. Due a service next month so its not being its most economical at the moment.

Is it possible to get much more than 41MPG out of the 1.6 ? , does anyone get much more ?

Its a petrol, I mainly do short journeys (7 miles a day ) but i do a 20 mile commute (40 miles return) 3 times a week on A roads.

41mpg bloodey hell im lucky to get 32 out of mine! that's with about a 15 mile trip so 30 in all but i am slightly heavy footed and my trip does include a massive steep hill which does require 4th gear with the foot hard down. On a good 3hr trip down south on the motorways it was doing at least 40mpg (chester to Southampton on 2/3 of a tank).

The earlier 1.6 foci would do 40mpg no problem. If you drive like a granny then the mk2 might manage it I guess. If you drive mostly around town than petrol cars can be pretty much as good as diesel's. I've always found my diesel cars needed a nice long cruise to get decent mpg out of them. My diesel will do about 45mpg average (late 30's around town).

Well how about this:

cross country on A/B roads, plus through villages 6.30am, hence virtually no traffic, 37mph average speed returning 49mpg

Motorway, average speed 68mph returning 37.49mpg

both occasions three passengers.

Real world driving, with a lot of 1.5 mile journeys, cold engine starts town driving, two sets of traffic lights, at peak times: 17mpg

Annual average return 32.84mpg <_<

i do a 80 mile round commute to work and i get 46 mpg on average cycle 80% a roads rest town driving driving at 65mph get 500 miles out of my tank

• 4 months later...

Just did a 815 mile round trip to Dorset, 422 miles of it was actual motorway. Returned 37.33 mpg on brimmed tanks, Dash Trip showed 39 mpg. Dash Trip also showed the motorway leg to Dorset as 40 mpg, and the rest of the trips @ 39 mpg.

Brimmed Tank versus Dash Trip, on this occasion I found there to be a 4.28% difference between to two. Or to put it another way the Dash Trip was over stating the MPG by 4.47% [1.67 mpg]

Wow that's some very good figures for a petrol, mines a 1.6 TDci and im averaging 600 miles a tank it makes you wonder with the extra cost of diesel and extra cost of the car if diesel cars are really worth it? 

Hi, well seeing as I can get up 50mpg around town, driving like a complete granny, but normally average about 44 and I get 60mpg, but average 52mpg, on a run, with my heavy Mk4 Mondeo not known for their economy, I think buying diesels second hand are fine. Although my next car will be a Focus petrol, but only because it will use the same technology as a diesel, thus it will have good economy - I hope!

Chris

Hi, well seeing as I can get up 50mpg around town, driving like a complete granny, but normally average about 44 and I get 60mpg, but average 52mpg, on a run, with my heavy Mk4 Mondeo not known for their economy, I think buying diesels second hand are fine. Although my next car will be a Focus petrol, but only because it will use the same technology as a diesel, thus it will have good economy - I hope!

Chris

dont figure that one out ive got a 1.8 town driving and not eco driving i get 35-37mpg b roads to work 9.3 miles there same back doing 65mph with hills and i still get 43mpg

I used to have a MK1 petrol 1.6, great car. I checked the MPG on a couple of occasions and it was doing about 40mpg. I wasn't even trying to drive economically.

dont figure that one out ive got a 1.8 town driving and not eco driving i get 35-37mpg b roads to work 9.3 miles there same back doing 65mph with hills and i still get 43mpg

Hi, what don't you get, gearing might be different, mine's got a six speed, your's is an older 'lump', since then it's been remapped and now even more fun to drive with no loss of mpg's. It seems I'm able to drive economically. There is a owner over on the Talkford site that's about to try and get 900 miles out of one tankful. I'm sure he'll not mind me copying his post.

"Just wondering if anybody has ever managed to get 900 miles out of a single tank of fuel in a Mondy?

If I get away with not doing any 'Town' driving this weekend I should be on for it.

I've been busy decorating at home for the last couple of weeks so the only driving that I've been doing is long distance Motorway trips for work. Since I last filled up I've done 740 miles (95% cruising at a steady 60MPH on the Motorway), have plenty of juice left in the tank and the converse is telling me that I could top 1,000 miles (which I don't believe). On Tuesday morning I've got a 180 mile trip down to Hemel Hempstead, I'm aiming not to put any fuel in before I get there (but that depends on keeping the car on the drive over the Weekend).

I'll let you know how I do.

Regards"

Chris

Hi, what don't you get, gearing might be different, mine's got a six speed, your's is an older 'lump', since then it's been remapped and now even more fun to drive with no loss of mpg's. It seems I'm able to drive economically. There is a owner over on the Talkford site that's about to try and get 900 miles out of one tankful. I'm sure he'll not mind me copying his post.

"Just wondering if anybody has ever managed to get 900 miles out of a single tank of fuel in a Mondy?

If I get away with not doing any 'Town' driving this weekend I should be on for it.

I've been busy decorating at home for the last couple of weeks so the only driving that I've been doing is long distance Motorway trips for work. Since I last filled up I've done 740 miles (95% cruising at a steady 60MPH on the Motorway), have plenty of juice left in the tank and the converse is telling me that I could top 1,000 miles (which I don't believe). On Tuesday morning I've got a 180 mile trip down to Hemel Hempstead, I'm aiming not to put any fuel in before I get there (but that depends on keeping the car on the drive over the Weekend).

I'll let you know how I do.

Regards"

Chris

s it possible to get much more than 41MPG out of the 1.6 ? , does anyone get much more ?

the bit i dont get is that an older less fuel efficient 1.8 thats a heavier engine with a 5 spd box is getting better economy than a modern 1.6 with 6 sp box designed to improve fuel economy and a lighter engine without having to drive economically smaller engine=better fuel economy so im getting more than 41mpg with a heavier older less fuel efficient engine on b roads as said with hills only 9.3 miles at 65mph no early shifts or being light with the foot

cuke, in another thread I stated that on a short 6 mile motorway trip [i run out of motorway] well to be honest it was killing me to doodle along in the nearside lane at circa 54mph. But waiting until I was up to speed in 5th gear [the top gear] I then reset the trip, and over that 6 miles it recorded a return of 59.5 mpg, that would have equated to 720 miles on the 1.6 petrol tank of 12.10 gallons. So I reckon the guy has a chance to top 800 MPT given I don't think the 1.6 Focus is all that economical. Like I say I returned 40mpg on the trip doing circa 70/72 mpg cruising on the motorway. So doing 60 with no heavy braking should show decent returns.

Now I hear say your interested in the new Mk3 150PS EcoBoost 1.6 turbo Focus, me to. But I'm prepared to wait a couple of years for somebody to eat a big dollop of the depreciation. Now that said, I can give you some running costs comparison figures visa ve the aforementioned car set against the Mk3 115PS Titanium 1.6 TDCi Focus.

Yes would you believe I set up a spreadsheet to compare running costs :rolleyes:

Anyway first off as you will know, price wise book price they are the same.

Road Tax wise there is £95 saving on the diesel.

Also for me to insure it I reckon the difference is again in the favour of the Tdci, but only to the tune of say £14 per annum.

Now for every 5000 miles covered, I've done the comparison of them both returning on average the same as I get in my 1.6 Mk2 petrol, that is just a tad over the official urban figures for said applicable model variant. In my real life annual driving [ I do quite a bit of town driving that drags the overall MPG down] In any case what ever figures you use if they are comparable you will still arrive at the same difference.

The 1.6 SCTi will give a fuel saving over my current Mk2 1.6 of £91 per 5,000 miles covered.

However the new Tdci 1.6 variant will return a fuel saving of £282 per 5,000 miles covered in comparison to the new 1.6 STCi petrol.

So adding together the Road Tax, the probable insurance, and the fuel savings on my journey cycles of 5,000 miles. The TDCi in comparison to the STCi comes in at savings of £391 per annum. On a 10,000 mile driving cycle the figures come to £673 saving. 15,000 miles £995 and so on.

I found that the more miles that went on my last Focus, the better the fuel consumption. This was an 09 plate 1.6 estate. When new it averaged 32mpg mixed urban and dual carriageways. On a run it would do 38mpg.

Gradually this improved to 38mpg average mixed driving and 41mpg on a run by the time I changed it on 24k miles. I am convinced that this would have further improved.

The other point to note, was that there was no improvement following a service and presumably any software updates. It all appears to have improved as a result of the engine freeing up over time (could also be my imagination running away).

Ive no idea what the new one is doing as its only done 500 miles, without a proper run. Im off up to Shropshire on Thursday which will give it a 215 mile each way run, so should be able to get an idea of how it compares.

Hi catch, to be honest running costs are not really a concern of mine, I just want to have fun in my car, that's why I'm driving a remapped Mk4 Mondeo, believe it or not it is fun to drive. I will also have the ecoboost mapped up the 180ps version when they can crack the anti-hack. However I don't want a car that looks like every chav will try to burn me off at the lights. I prefer a wolf in lamps clothing.

I've only done 13.5k in just over three years, say 4.5k a year, with all my motoring around town. As far as depreciation is concerned, well I purchased my car for a whisker over 18k, which was a cash payment and no equity P/X, and now I've been offered 10.5 for it, that's pretty good I think.

At my age, and present poor health, I might be actually looking at one of my last car purchases, thus I want one that is young enough in looks plus I want to have better equipment than my present Mondeo Titx has got, so I will load it up. I'm looking at just over 16k plus options and all I want to put in of my own money, aside from the P/X is about 8k. But really, as I said to start with, I'm not counting the pennies.

BTW, have you looked at updating your DPF with regards to the implementation in the Mk4 Mondeo, I only drive around town, and unlike other manufacturers, there has not been one issue.

I guess were're way OT though, so maybe we can cary on this conversation in a Focus Mk3 thread or a Mondeo DPF one. I guess you've know about this site as well http://www.talkford.com/

Chris

I found that the more miles that went on my last Focus, the better the fuel consumption. This was an 09 plate 1.6 estate. When new it averaged 32mpg mixed urban and dual carriageways. On a run it would do 38mpg.

Gradually this improved to 38mpg average mixed driving and 41mpg on a run by the time I changed it on 24k miles. I am convinced that this would have further improved.

The other point to note, was that there was no improvement following a service and presumably any software updates. It all appears to have improved as a result of the engine freeing up over time (could also be my imagination running away).

Ive no idea what the new one is doing as its only done 500 miles, without a proper run. Im off up to Shropshire on Thursday which will give it a 215 mile each way run, so should be able to get an idea of how it compares.

Your right I reckon the looser up with miles put on them, it does improve mpg on a new engine.

And if servicing has been done as stated on an annual basis, your right you will not notice any marked improvement in mpg. The schedule is designed to ensure the motor runs efficiently all the time, not loosing efficiency the nearer it gets to service time.

Obviously a different story if somebody neglects their cars servicing, or buy a second hand lump that has been neglected, then an improvement could be noticed.

Have a good trip to Shropshire, do some trip clicking ;)

With my interest in finding out what it will do efficiency wise I'm always running on a brimmed tank. :rolleyes: Brimming the tank is not a cost problem for me, besides it means less visits to the petrol station. But there could be an extra mile in mpg if I were to run around on half a tank or less. The miles I do per annum, economy is not that important to me, I just like collecting data.....sad or what

That said, came back from Dorset on Saturday, eager to know what it had achieved mpg wise, went straight to Morrisons, brimmed the tank with 48 ltrs of fuel. Caught up with wife who was shopping in the store. At the checkout picked up our £50 food reciept, and the girl on the till gave me a 6p off fuel voucher.

All the time we have shopped at Morrisons, never known them dole out discount fuel vouchers. But in typical tight arsed Morrisons marketing style, the catch was I had to use it by this Sunday....and there's me with a months petrol slopping about in my tank :angry:

Chris,

I know exactly were your coming from motor wise, being a bit of an Old !Removed! myself [but no health issues, other than a blood pressure pill per day ]

You can tell us Old Farts on the Forum, we can be a bit "cutting" sometimes in our replies. But these "kids" on here are quite understanding as a rule, and cut us some slack.....bless em. :D

I also reckon the next car I buy will be my last, mind you I ain't planning on parting with this one for another 3 years. The replacement, I'll just run it until I loose the desire to drive, but I cannot see that happening for a while yet. And on that basis we bought our current house 6 years ago, its the house they refer to as "our forever house" in those vomit inducing property !Removed! shows they regurgitate on a 24/7 basis. I hate this "sugar sweet" American bastardization of our English language "Hallmark Cards" have a lot to answer for.

It's just 300 yards walking distance from the High Street in a Dales Market Town, 300 yards to Bus Station, same distance to the Supermarket, and 500 yards to the Railway Station, and about 100 yards from the canal if it all gets a bit to much for me :blink:

Anyway as per normal I digess...

I know you want more kick out of the new SCTi, but I reckon I'll get by on the 130mph,0-60 in 8.6 seconds standard set up. Besides, though I suspect you reckon your at the top of your game driving wise, I think in all honesty at our ages we are kidding ourselves....so you be careful you don't soil than new upholstery :D

In regards to the DPF, like wise I did 6K with 62% of that being mostly town driving on the old type renewable DPF with eloys top up. Had it nine months and never had a problem with it, so a DPF fitted diesel holds no "boggies" for me. Like I've said elsewhere I'm torn between the Mk3 1.6 Tdci and the Mk3 1.6 SCTi as my next car.......I mean eight years savings @ £391 equals £3,128...I reckon I could recycle that into a nice Sports Edition Mobility scooter :D

The DPF link in my signature is there to warn cash strapped peeps about buying a second hand TDCi that has possibly been move on without it having it's Eloys, topped up, or worst still due for a replacement DPF very soon. And not realising how they need to put in a bit of "spirited" driving every 300 miles or so on the old type DPF.

Tony

PS: Had the Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 GLS, I bought that model one year old, hunted high and low for one as the GLS unlike the LX variant had ABS. I must say it was a good car, in fact the Wifes favourite of all the cars we've had...we kept it 9 years until the original clutch went on it......but that's women drivers for you......they tend to ride the clutch pedal :P :D

Hi Tony, I've had two Mk1 Mondeo's, both Ghia's, one was in 1993, brand new, and was a 2.0l petrol, then another one before the Mk4. Obviously the Mk4 was a huge step up in refinement, power, size, just about eveything really. Couldn't knock the Mk1's though, they were the bee's knees when they first came out, and in 1993 I had the aqua colour, Cayman Blue I think it was.

My partners has owned all the Focus's, firstly a Mk1 then a Mk2, but, personally and although I liked driving them and they were fun, however I always thought they were a little boring to look at and to sit in, sorry. She's now got a Mazda 2 Sport, she likes it, but I'm not really taken, just being polite ;)

You say be careful when driving, it seems that whilst I was out test driving the Titx Ecoboost last week I picked up a speeding ticket, first one for 30 years :angry: Whilst I was telling the dealership I didn't want their car he dropped it into the coversation, then I forgot to ask what speed they'd clocked me at. Seeing as he was sitting in the car next to me he could have warned me, although it was a mobile one just around a blind corner. Still I hope I can eat humble pie and take the half day tuition and not get points on my licence.

Broadspeed will be refunding my money on monday, although he, Simon, is quite bullish that he can cut me a deal. Well, if he can, and it's for the original quote I got, then I might just go for it, we shall see.

The good thing, if it can be said, about the DPF on my present car is that it doesn't need any additives and nor does it have a reservoir, thus it is more or less maintenance free, that's why I recommend the 2.0l diesel.

I must say though I'll be sad to see the Mk4 go, with the remap it has so much grunt, and I can use 6th gear at a quite low speed and then just put my foot down and it just goes for it. However it's too big now for around town. I would have had something smaller when I was first looking in 2008, however the Focus was a no no, and, to load it up with all the goodies, it was more expensive than the Mk4 Mondeo with them as standard, thus, at 18k, it was a no brainer. Plus it has the rather unique, and rare on the Mk4, Tango colour. I keep it in showroom condition and it looks stunning, however I hope I can get to work on the Candy Red to the same effect.

A pic of my car:

mondeo11.jpg

Chris

Well guys. I have just got back from Shropshire and have been doing a bit of trip clicking (Catch's phrase, not mine).

The journey is around 210 miles each way. My Focus had only done 505 miles at the time of setting off on Wednesday night.

As I left after work for the trip up, I wasn't in the mood for economical driving, so averaged between 80 and 85mph where possible. There are loads of roadworks on the M1 which would have helped the fuel economy. Anyway I averaged only 37.8 mpg on the way up.

On the way home I kept the speed down to 75 - 80mph and to my surprise averaged 42.4mpg. I think thats the best I have ever managed out of a petrol Ford.

Well guys. I have just got back from Shropshire and have been doing a bit of trip clicking (Catch's phrase, not mine).

The journey is around 210 miles each way. My Focus had only done 505 miles at the time of setting off on Wednesday night.

As I left after work for the trip up, I wasn't in the mood for economical driving, so averaged between 80 and 85mph where possible. There are loads of roadworks on the M1 which would have helped the fuel economy. Anyway I averaged only 37.8 mpg on the way up.

I think that is excellent at those speeds.

On the way home I kept the speed down to 75 - 80mph and to my surprise averaged 42.4mpg. I think thats the best I have ever managed out of a petrol Ford.

That's also, good beat my 40mpg I out of mine going down to Dorset, M65/M6/M5/M4. And I was doing low seventies. Trip average recorded 61 mph, what with some queuing taking place leading up to Birmingham.

I only recorded the motorway part of the journey on the down leg. On the up leg coming home I just recorded it in among with all the touring about we did whilst in Dorset. I also found my accurate "brimmed" tank mpg calculations recorded 37.33 mpg overall for that holiday, whereas the dashboard trip recorded 39.00 mpg. A 4.47% over estimate, so assuming yours over records by that amount also. You will be aware you would need to deduct 4.28% from your trip figures, for a more accurate figure.

Using the above percentage for mine, my 40 mpg motorway journey would have actually returned 38.29 mpg

Would you believe I was doing another bit of spread sheeting the other day :rolleyes:

and I worked out that when the wife retires, our annual mpg [currently averaging 32.74 mpg] should improve to circa 37.13 mpg.

Well must get back to the Wife's PC, just installed Windows 7 on it, and in the process of loading some games onto it before the eldest grandson turns up tomorrow. Loaded COD 2, COD MW, COD WAW, but COD MW2 is playing up, well the STEAM part of it........there's always something <_<

• 4 months later...

I have a Y plate Focus 1.6 , it's done 131,000 miles.

I do a 50 mile round trip every day to work , mainly country route.

There's some hilly bits , it's not all flat , and I don't race but I don't crawl along.

5th gear is quite a high ratio , and generally revs are always below 3000.

Since I fill it up regularly , I always get about 425 miles before the fuel light comes on , and I always get about 48 litres in the tank.

Unless my maths is badly wrong , that's 40 mpg.

I was starting to think it would be worthwhile to get a smaller , cheaper diesel when/if this car finally dies.

In the time I've had it , I have replaced clutch , cam belt , front discs and water pump.

What am I doing wrong ?

What am I doing wrong ?

welcome to the forum

Well looking at the Official Figures for your motor............NOTHING :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club