13 replies to this topic

#1 anthandapril

anthandapril

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Ford Model: s max

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi all,
Well i've got a new s max with drl's and have seen others that have them on at the same time as their headlights
Just wanted to know how to do this as it looks really good but mine doesn't do it and there is nothing about it in the manual and my local dealer doesn't know anything about it???? Any help or advice will be gratefully received

Thanks Everyone

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 S-max Titanium X Sport 2.5T

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

TBH you're better off finding out how to switch them off completely - unless you like people flashing at you all day long to advise you that you have your front fog lamps switched on.

#3 anthandapril

anthandapril

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

hi thanks for the reply i have a new car with the led daytime lights in the bottom of the bumper. these are the lights i want to have on at the same time as the headlights as i have seen it on others

#4 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

the cars you see with both headlights and drl's on at night are not manufactor fitted but must be an aftermarket kit fitted by themselves,if wired in correctley the drl will switch off as soon as the headligfhts are switched on because most are too bright for night time use and could attract the attention of the traffic wombles.

#5 anthandapril

anthandapril

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

hi thanks for the reply but these cars with both headlights and drl's on at the same time are definatly not aftermarket led lights they are the ones that ford fitted in the factory. i see this issue daily where i live but am really annoyed that my car doesn't do it. has anyone got a workshop manual for the s-max that they can email or put a link on here for me

#6 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Seriously don't bother. As I say, you will get constant people flashing you as they will think the DRLs are fog-lamps. I get this all the time on my company car and it drives me mad.

You have your headlamps on at night - you're perfectly visible to everyone else. You don't need the DRLs on as well.

#7 Johnboy2572

Johnboy2572

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: S-Max
  • Year: 2010

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:43 AM

I've purely registered just to add to this post as it's annoying when anthandapril just wants to know something and others feel they have to post a reply even though they can't answer the actual question.
I have the same issue with my S-Max but every other one I see on the road has the DRL's on at night and I've been looking into why. I have found out that the first production run of s-max's were wired for the DRL's to go off when the lights are turned on. After that however, it was changed so that they remained on. This is because of some issue that I'm still in the process of finding out what it was.

I believe to rectify this would mean you would need to change or replace the loom and I'm in the process of finding out how it can be done and how much it would cost.
If like me you want them on at night purely because it looks far nicer and you don't care what other people think you should do, then I hope to have more news shortly.

#8 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

It is illegal to use DRL's at night.
As taken from the Department for Transport's legislation on DRLs:

"DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions."

The clue is in the title DAYLIGHT running lights (not NIGHTTIME running lights).

Your request to "look far nicer" at night is at the risk of other road users. Don't do it.
I presume you would "care what other people think" when they hit you head on because they were blinded by your lights - especially when your insurance company refuses to pay up because you had illegal lights on your car...

#9 S Max Titanium (163) 2011

S Max Titanium (163) 2011

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: S Max Titanium 2.0dci (163)
  • Year: 2011

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Well someone should tell Ford as they are in breach of the Department for Transport directive! I have just bought an S Max titanium 2.0dci 162. Registered 31st March 2011. My drl's stay on at night in conjunction with the headlights, they are a lot dimmer when on with headlights as opposed to during the day when they are a lot brighter. You cant turn them off as far as I know! I agree, they look very smart at night and are in no way, shape of form a danger to other road users.

#10 peterx666

peterx666

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: s-Max Titanum 2l 163 in White

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Well someone should tell Ford as they are in breach of the Department for Transport directive! I have just bought an S Max titanium 2.0dci 162. Registered 31st March 2011. My drl's stay on at night in conjunction with the headlights, they are a lot dimmer when on with headlights as opposed to during the day when they are a lot brighter. You cant turn them off as far as I know! I agree, they look very smart at night and are in no way, shape of form a danger to other road users.

Yes I have the same on an S-Max bought in September

The bit I dont like about the DRL's is..... I was expecting the rear lights to come on as well but they dont Thought this would be a good idea to deter the drivers who end up driving on my boot lid! Decided now to fit some bright reflective tape that might help..... short of that possibly a gravel gun!

Pete

#11 DLHRoberts

DLHRoberts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Darren
  • Ford Model: S-Max

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

The DRL's on the later model S-Max are also the vehicles side lights (turn on side lights and notice the headlamps have no bulbs illuminated). The LED's dim when the vehicles side lights are activated to comply with regulations regarding candella limits for a sidelight (as they are not a directed beam). Therefore they are DRL's and sidelights, both are used to warn other road users of your presence, just at different times of day!

#12 Mrlist

Mrlist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Martin
  • Ford Model: S Max Titanium X Sport 240 Auto

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Hi I have a March 2011 S Max and the 'DRLs' lights dim when the headlights are activated. This is entirely as ford intended. During the day these LED strips light brightly. At night (when lights are switched on or the auto sensor activates them) they dim down to normal levels of modern side lights> If they were at full brightness during the night they would dazzle on coming drivers! Like them or hate them, they do work as intended.

#13 tunne1rat

tunne1rat

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

PM sent.

#14 nunomig

nunomig

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Nuno
  • Ford Model: SMAX 2.0 TDCI TITANIUM S

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have the same problem on my smax ( bought in May 2010 ).
Can you tell me if there is a solution to your problem?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users