Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Disc Life

kendo nagasaki

Hello there, as a new member to thr group, I have a 2000 focus 1.8 ghia, I have a steering wheel vibration issue, when braking at speed, anything above 40mph the steering wheel vibrates, getting worse the harder I brake, in the records I have the car was fitted with new front discs about 20000 miles ago, I thought discs should last a longer than this, is there anything else that could cause this before I order a set of new discs?

why don't you try to do as in photo first (sorry i don't know what they call), to make bent disc more smooth..................... :D

post-1538-0-89089700-1296450962_thumb.jp

I thought discs should last a longer than this, is there anything else that could cause this before I order a set of new discs?

I suppose it's all down to how a car is driven, but my last Focus a Mk1 1.8 zetec had 79k on the clock when I changed the front discs, they were due it mind. [but no judder, mechanic changing clutch noticed they were well worn]

Car after that was a Volvo S40 2.0 turbo diesel which I bought 5 years old with 57k on the clock. It was a lease car with a fully detailed service log. It apparently had its pads changed at 36k, but I sold at 63k and discs were fine.

Present Focus [i suspect on original discs] now on 39k and no problems experienced.

But that is not to say, you have not got a warped disc, best bet is take it into a mechanic you trust and see what he says it is. I for one would be in like a shot if I had problems with my brakes.

My car has 65k on the clock, and the disks are fine, I cant see me changing them until at least 80k, disks are thick, and strong, no warps or problems. I hope that the disks are better quality that other parts, but I dont think I will change them for some time...

When i had a slight judder on braking above 40mph i found it to be a sticky caliper that had warped the disc on the passenger side.. (2001 focus)

When i had a slight judder on braking above 40mph i found it to be a sticky caliper that had warped the disc on the passenger side.. (2001 focus)

youve got a warped brake disc its easily done the brakes get hot in use quickly in winter weather they can and will warp nothing to do with brake disk life can be worse if you keep youre foot on the brake when stationary

had a dial gauge on the front discs earlier today and the passenger side disc is warped, so a new set will be ordered this week, thanks all for the replies.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club