Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Economy Seems Terrible So Far

Gareth Mattey

Hi,

Well after having my car for 3 days, it seems to take a lot of fuel for a 1.25 engine.

I got it thursday about 2pm and ford put £15 of petrol in it. The next day it was getting low so i put £20 in.

I got the car with 6 miles on the clock and i think ive done 120-130 miles now. So say 120 miles ive done thats cost £35.

Ive heard new cars take more petrol till theyve covered a few thousand miles but my old car with same engine size, £25 would last me a week, never 2 1/2 - 3 days.

That does seem a bit low. I'd take it back to your dealer and say something.

But as you said, new engines do take time to loosen up and that's what the dealer will tell you.

My opinion fiesta is too heavy , 1130 - 1170 k.g., it is not fuel save for 1.25 engine as it has to load more weight itself .

My car 1.6 engine with power shift transmission has got about 6.5 l/100 k.m., it is reasonable as it is not too much load.

Anyway, you better run 5000 k.m.at least to loosen up engine, see dealer if it not be better..................... :D

The dealer filled it 3/4, so first full tank gave me 29.95, and second 35.34, I'm just over 600 miles now!

Yes what ever the model/engine, the car is exactly the same, so smaller engine, more weight to shift!

Well i'll give it a month or 2 till my miles have gone up to a couple of thousand, see if theres any difference.

I'm doing a 220 mile trip there and back in a few weeks, so nearly 450 miles.

That trip cost me £50-£60 for the whole 450 miles in my old car, £25-£30 each way.

A bit worried incase its going to cost me a fortune in this car.

Since mine is the studio model, it doesnt have the little extras like telling you how many mpg you get so i used a website and it come up with roughly 25mpg i think with the amount of petrol and miles covered in the past few days.

Why on earth did you not buy a diesel for that sort of trip?

Your gonna find economy is pretty poor, the engine is too small for the car. Underpowered.

I would of bought the diesel but they are bigger engines and i got the 1.25 studio for insurance purposes so its not sky high.

The engine seems quite nippy to be fair compared to my old 1.2 vauxhall but with all the extras this car has compared to my old one its bound to add weight.

I do mostly motorway driving to work and when i visit family.

Will just have to see if it gets any better, when the 2 years are up on this i'll either get a bigger engine or a diesel version as my insurance will of gone down a lot.

At the moment the engine seems like its a 1.6l petrol with all the fuel its taking.

I would of bought the diesel but they are bigger engines and i got the 1.25 studio for insurance purposes so its not sky high.

The engine seems quite nippy to be fair compared to my old 1.2 vauxhall but with all the extras this car has compared to my old one its bound to add weight.

I do mostly motorway driving to work and when i visit family.

Will just have to see if it gets any better, when the 2 years are up on this i'll either get a bigger engine or a diesel version as my insurance will of gone down a lot.

At the moment the engine seems like its a 1.6l petrol with all the fuel its taking.

You would probably find the 1.6 petrol more efficient.

As for insurance, the difference between the 1.25 and the 1.4 diesel is marginal in insurance quotes even at 17.

And you could possibly of offsent the increase in insurance against the fuel economy your getting.

It wasnt just insurance though, the diesel costs £12000 just for basic 1.4 studio tdci and the petrol was £10000.

Worked out £200 a month for the petrol and £262 a month for the diesel and then insurance would of been a bit more.

It doesnt sound much but im not rich and extra £100-£150 a month for the diesel would of been out of my price range im afraid.

It wasnt just insurance though, the diesel costs £12000 just for basic 1.4 studio tdci and the petrol was £10000.

Worked out £200 a month for the petrol and £262 a month for the diesel and then insurance would of been a bit more.

It doesnt sound much but im not rich and extra £100-£150 a month for the diesel would of been out of my price range im afraid.

Why not buy second hand then?

You get loads for your money and a 59 Plates is as good as a 60...

Why not buy second hand then?

You get loads for your money and a 59 Plates is as good as a 60...

Because i wanted a new car on finance with affordable monthly payments.

I looked at bigger engines above the 1.25 and insurance wanted £5000 but with the 1.25 studio petrol they offered me insurance for £1800.

I looked at bigger engines above the 1.25 and insurance wanted £5000 but with the 1.25 studio petrol they offered me insurance for £1800.

Surely you would of got better finance on a second hand car?

There is only 2 insurance groups between the 1.2 and the diesel, it wouldnt jump £3000.

you would have gotten a much better deal with a2nd hand 09 car, i got my studio+ which is a higher spec than yours for 7.5, and it was like new with only 11k on the clock. insurance take a better opinion of you if your car is worth less. so you would have had a cheaper car, with cheaper insurance, with higher spec Aircon + heated windscreens, faster engine. for only 10-14k milage. if you wanted a brand new car thats fine. but there isnt much sense in doing that at 17 cos insurance will hammer you.

Well i admit i didnt really look at second hand cars but when i searched for insurance, the 1.25 studio was the only one i could relistically afford, if i got a zetec or even edge the insurance shot up loads because of the extras they have. Still would of been expensive on a second hand zetec for example. Im nearly 21 not 17 by the way and its my first years insurance, had a car before though but only had that 8 months or so.

I wish i was paying that, my area im parking on the street so not in a garage and i can imagine a lot of people claiming which puts it up for others too. A town near me people have told me minimum insurance theyre kids got quoted for a old 1.0 car is like £4000 even worse than where i am.

Im 20, 21 on thursday and im paying 1800 for insurance! I think it depends on area. Done some looking online and i can insure my golf and my fiesta for that price when im 21? so when people say age doesnt matter, it does.

On topic though, my MPG was rubbish! But ive done 8000 miles now and it seems to have improved massively

I also think people are being a bit harsh on your car choice... i think its your decision and shouldnt be slated because of it IMO

Just for comparison: I'm 21, paying £700 on a 1.6 TDCi Zetec-S

Fuel economy in sig below.

I agree with RCJ about being harsh to the OP. If that's what he could afford and wanted then what's the problem?

Although the fuel economy on the 1.25 does seem to be fairly disappointing.

What's your average mpg? Saying how much money it cost you to put petrol in the tank means nothing.

Ive no idea as this model doesnt tell you on the computer but it worked out about 25mpg on the website i used to try figure it out which is poor when ford state 38-50mpg

all you guys posting about paying £700-800 on 1.6 engines who are around 20 . this seems good?

im 26 nearly 27 not had any claims apart from hitting a deer , but still have 8 years protected no claims and yet i have been getting lowest £500 quotes and thats on a 1.4tdci considering what age and engine size you guys have i would of thought mine would be a lot cheaper.

I also think people are being a bit harsh on your car choice... i think its your decision and shouldnt be slated because of it IMO

Totally agree, we all have free will to choose what we want.

I only get 38/40 out of my 1.25, 82 bhp.

Its a shame, but I like the car so don't really mind

Dont get me wrong the car is brilliant, so smooth and drives really well. Im happy with the car, just surprised how much petrol it drinks for being a small car.

Its not just the fiesta, im guessing its most new cars are the same.

My mate at work said he knows someone with a 1.2 corsa brand new and that was drinking fuel aswell, looks as its not the same as it used to be with small engines being economical as cars gain more weight with gadgets etc.. looking like the bigger sized engines are proving better now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club