Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Economy Seems Terrible So Far

Gareth Mattey

Ive no idea as this model doesnt tell you on the computer but it worked out about 25mpg on the website i used to try figure it out which is poor when ford state 38-50mpg

Don't rely on what the car says, if you have an iPhone, get the MPG calculator, always fill it to the top, and note down your trip distance, enter both, and calculates. And its pretty accurate as you can enter cost to fill tank and pence per litre and it gets the litres exactly!

Don't rely on what the car says, if you have an iphone, get the MPG calculator, always fill it to the top, and note down your trip distance, enter both, and calculates. And its pretty accurate as you can enter cost to fill tank and pence per litre and it gets the litres exactly!

He said he can't rely on what the car says as his model doesn't have the mpg on it :P But I agree with working it out yourself by brimming the tank each time.

Don't rely on what the car says, if you have an iphone, get the MPG calculator, always fill it to the top, and note down your trip distance, enter both, and calculates. And its pretty accurate as you can enter cost to fill tank and pence per litre and it gets the litres exactly!

Which app do you use? There are a few if you search mpg on app store? Road Trip Lite seems pretty good.

One thing I wish my trip computer did was average and 'trip' mpg - I like to keep the average long term, and drag it up by driving frugally. But it'd be interesting to know what I did on, say, all motorway trips.

Well i dont have an iPhone, have xperia x10 which is android. Downloaded a app for mpg, see if it works though when i do my trips.

Well i dont have an iphone, have xperia x10 which is android. Downloaded a app for mpg, see if it works though when i do my trips.

You don't need an app.

Keep a record of the odometer each time you fill up, or use the trip recorder.

Multiply the litres by 0.22 to get gallons.

Subtract the previous odometer reading from the current one to get the distance travelled on the last tank (or use the trip recorder).

Divide this distance by the number of gallons to get miles per gallon.

Simples.

Loads of people have told me to take it back as no matter how new the engine is, it shouldnt be doing that mpg for a 1.2.

Owned a Zetec 1.25 from Nov 09 (4499miles) to Jan 11 (13997miles). Over that time I averaged 43.65mpg. The worst was about 36mpg during last winter, freezing temps, short runs with not enough time to warm engine up (10Mins)then back to garage. The best I got was going on holiday, warm temp with mainly motorway cruising of 60-65mph using BP ultimate fuel = 58mpg. It took till about 9000 miles on the clock before engine began to loosen up. But your driving habits make the big difference. Heavy right foot made of lead wont help! Change up at 2500rev instead of 3000. Car full of junk, its amazing what you can amass inside. All extra weight. To check for sure your mpg, fill her up (make note of mileage). Drive till half full then fill up again. Divide how many litres it takes to fill by 4.546. That gives you gallons, divide this in to how many miles driven since your 1st fill up = MPG. Do this a couple of times or constantly making note of short or motorway trips. Cold or warm weather. If you have a iPhone or touch try downloading 'Roadtrip'. Free or a paid version. You'll see how much it really costs to run a car if you put right data in!! Scary!

Its what i thought at first, 25mpg for the distance and fuel. Thats terrible.

My 1.25 Zetec at the moment is showing 28mpg and that's after 8.5k miles. Mainly been going through town to work and back. Lots of start/stops and slow moving traffic.

Well do you have the 82 or 59 1.25? Mines 59.

Theres nothing in my car apart from me obviously and a few cds so weights not an issue.

Ive not got a heavy foot and been trying to change to higher gears at lower speeds than i was doing to see if it improves.

I dont think this tank is going down quite as quick but still not great.

Does the bp fuel make any difference to mpg? I know theres tesco 99, Shell v power and bp ultimate, i think ive got the names right but anyway ive just been using bog standard supermarket fuel. Ive read other posts about people not noticing a great difference for paying extra 5p-10p a litre or so.

Well do you have the 82 or 59 1.25? Mines 59.

Theres nothing in my car apart from me obviously and a few cds so weights not an issue.

Ive not got a heavy foot and been trying to change to higher gears at lower speeds than i was doing to see if it improves.

I dont think this tank is going down quite as quick but still not great.

Does the bp fuel make any difference to mpg? I know theres tesco 99, shell v power and bp ultimate, i think ive got the names right but anyway ive just been using bog standard supermarket fuel. Ive read other posts about people not noticing a great difference for paying extra 5p-10p a litre or so.

The BP fuel will make sod all difference in your car as it isn't set up to run on 99RON fuel.

It will be set to run on 95Ron fuel as it's basic and not a performance car.

Also due to it being a new car the other benefits will do nothing as it's new, so the so called cleaning properties will have 0 effect.

The only increase will be cost to your wallet.

Im driving a 58 plate 09 Zetec S 19000 miles best I got was 370 miles, think thats about 42 MPG, mainly rural and town driving, 20 miles each way. Occasional swift bit of driving but I find short burst of speed to get you there and cruising the rest. its mainly driving habits and think that a run in engine is paramount.

cavey

I would'nt use supermarket fuel if it was free. Ford recommend BP ultimate for a reason. Read small print in Fiesta brochure under MPG claims. It isnt supermarket fuel used. The manual recommends high quality fuel also. Try BP ultimate or Shell V-max for a couple of fill ups keeping a tab on miles driven between each fill up and litres put in. If no change you know it not the fuel type. Have you considered doing Ford's 'Econocheck'? If that gives a poor mpg result you have the evidence to go back and claim a problem.

My towns only small, theres a morrisons and a texaco garage thats it. Theres a Shell near my work, how much is v power? I know ford recommend bp, they gave me a leaflet but the only bp garage i see around here is on the motorways. Will check out eco thing later.

My previous 58 from new titanium diesel, would give me just over 300 on a tank, but the last full tank I used I did North london and back, and set off with less miles on the clock than distance, but did it, and eeked out 410 miles!

Current 1.6 petrol zetec s in on 40.5 and I'm really trying to keep it above 40, but it goes down quicker than it goes up!

I would'nt use supermarket fuel if it was free.

I would. Also, I think some fairly lucrative sponsorship deals are the reason why Ford recommend BP Ultimate.

My previous 58 from new titanium diesel, would give me just over 300 on a tank, but the last full tank I used I did North london and back, and set off with less miles on the clock than distance, but did it, and eeked out 410 miles!

Tell me you're joking Mark! 1.6 diesel should never do less than 400miles to a tank!

Tell me you're joking Mark! 1.6 diesel should never do less than 400miles to a tank!

Lowest I've had as little as 40.47mpg across a tank which works out at around 356 miles (I think)

At the moment the engine seems like its a 1.6l petrol with all the fuel its taking.

My 1.6 petrol (10,000 miles on the clock now) will do around (& this is an actual, calculated figure - not "as indicated by Ford's liar of a trip computer") 48 - 52 MPG on a long run, if I drive extremely carefully - don't dawdle but don't exceed 70MPH, accelerate very gently etc.

Did 1,100 miles on a week's holiday to Cornwall last autumn - averaged a calculated 46.8 MPG overall which wasn't bad as I had a bit of "fun" when conditions allowed on a few clear, empty roads on a number of occasions!

Even when brand new I found that the economy was almost as good as it is now - though the engine's loosened up very nicely - performance-wise - over the last 2,000 miles or so!

Fuel? I always use either BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power.

Insurance? Paid a year's premium of £343 last September & that's for Fully Comprehensive with protected no claims, enhanced courtesy car & legal expenses cover. But I am 46 with a clean licence & full NCB, having been lucky enough to never make an insurance claim in 29 years' driving...

All depends how far you drive it, and how long you keep it at a constant speed. Once I'm out of local roads (mile) I then turn left at a roundabout and over a bridge, over the next roundabout and straight over a bridge, over the next one and theres a 3/4 mile run to the next one where I take a right, and I can take this whole road at 60, corners and all, except for the 30 village, and the 2 40's plus a large hill, and a steep small one, and that's 5 times a week, and reverse on the way home, 12 miles in all. I can eek a couple of points on the mpg, but loose at least one setting back off, even very slowly, eg, 5th at 39 when the light comes on!

But would I be better off getting to max speed quickly, and not loose as much as when it slowly accelerates?

My towns only small, theres a morrisons and a texaco garage thats it. Theres a shell near my work, how much is v power? I know ford recommend bp, they gave me a leaflet but the only bp garage i see around here is on the motorways. Will check out eco thing later.

Check petrolprices.com , you can check for the cheapest prices in your area based on your postcode within a 5 to 20 mile radius.

Depending on where you live, it can be surprising how much prices differ even between the same fuel companies.

For example, on my way home from work I pass a BP garage on the expressway which currently charges 146.9p for premium diesel, but if you take the sliproad just before it there as another BP garage just a few hundred yards along which charges just 136.9p per litre!

pertolprices.jpg

We have 2 Shell in York, very close to each other, but they must be franchises, as I went to fill up, but drove past the other one on the way, and one was 129.9 and the other 126.9. Mostly here, being a small city, it's all within 3p.

Name City Distance Price Last Update

Tesco York Extra York 0.94 miles 125.9p 02-02-2011

Tesco York Tadcaster Road Extra York 3.27 miles 125.9p 02-02-2011

Sainsburys Monks Cross York 3.7 miles 125.9p 02-02-2011

Asda York York 3.86 miles 125.9p 02-02-2011

Morrisons York York 2.44 miles 126.9p 02-02-2011

Mrh Jorvik Jet York 3.04 miles 126.9p 02-02-2011

Shell York York 3.32 miles 126.9p 01-02-2011

Tcs London Bridge Total York 3.64 miles 126.9p 02-02-2011

Station Garage Jet York 3.56 miles 127.9p 02-02-2011

Hull Road service Station BP York 5.22 miles 127.9p 02-02-2011

Highest price in area: 130.9p

Potential saving: 5.0p per litre

The Shell v power is 133.9 by me, normal petrol is only 126.9

Should i fill my tank up tomorrow to see the difference?

Mine fuel economy is ok I guess....

Currently the trip always reads 65-70 which averages out in the real world as 56...

Not as great as I would like, but can't do much about it.

What I don't like is if you push the car past 60mpg drops loads.

My 1.25 gets about 38+mpg but in the colder weather, it has dropped down to about 25mpg. I'm using Road Trip on my ipod, pretty useful.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club