• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 lasse1955

lasse1955

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion 03

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hi jaw. This is only some thoughts from me.

I really donít know how to synchronize the motor with the rack when the marking is lost, but the motor has got a worm gear that is hard to rotate by hand. So I guess you can assume that the motor has held its position.
The cogs are quite "wide" so there are a limited numbers of positions to "try"... and I donít think anything will break if you got it wrong (no promise!).

Try to get the gearbox in "neutral" (if it isnít already), by turning the gearbox shaft.
Push the car forward/backwards to check that the neutral is engaged (gearbox in neutral is a common position when this error happens).
Put the rack in the middle position and mount the motor. Then mount the actuator on the car.
Start the car and make a wish it was the right position.
If it wasnít successful,dismount and move the rack one cog. Try again...and again....
I havenít tried this so I really donít know if it works. But it is how I should work if I got the problem.

Correct me someone, if you think this is craziness.

Good luck.

PS.
If no one has turned the gearbox shaft, you maybe can figure out what position the rack had when it was removed.
DS.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 fliegergott

fliegergott

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Gunter
  • Ford Model: Fusion
  • Year: 2003

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

(Sorry for some bad English language in thisÖ.)
The durashift on my Fusion has malfunctioned sometimes the last month.
No reverse sometimes, no forward gears other times, gears get stuck and at last no gear at all (but the display showed ď4Ē).. Always with the sprocket warning-light lit.
Ford workshop wants 1000£ to fix it, at least.

I am not really sure what causes this, but plastic deformation over time is nothing new.
But more likely I think the problem is water. As the plastic slide tube is pointing upwards I guess a small amount of water have come between the plastic tube and the aluminum housing. Either has it there frozen to ice and therefore expanded to a ďbumpĒ in the plastic, but more likely it has there caused corrosion on the aluminum which expands to a ďbumpĒ inside the plastic tube.
As I glued the cap I assume no more water can enter, to cause more problems.

Greetings from Sweden.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! THAT WAS IST! YOU SAVED MY WIFE Ä 1.000,-! AND I HAD A NICE DAY SPENDING THE AFTERNOON UNDER HER CAR! ;-)

Greetings from Austria.

#18 lasse1955

lasse1955

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion 03

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

Thank You fliegergott! It is always nice to be able to help.

#19 Faraz

Faraz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Faraz
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2004

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Could someone help me, my car is completely broken down and the garage is asking for £2400 as both Actuator and Control Unit are gone, do I've any way to get it fixed cheaper otherwise I'll have to scrap the car :(

Here's my thread for full details:

http://www.fordowner...321#entry159321

#20 Tola

Tola

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Tola
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2009

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have a 2009 Mondeo. The problem is similar to that posted by @lasse1955 but mine gets stuck in the 3rd gear with a prompt to service the transmission. Also the car jerks when i try to rev to see if i can force it into higher gears. When i slow down, it does not downshift unless i switch off the engine. Can anybody suggest anything to help fix this problem?

Regards,

Tola

#21 Faraz

Faraz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Faraz

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

I got my car fixed following your instructions, Dan62 from this forum came to help me. Just don't trust what garage and showrooms says always explore yourself. Ford showroom quote me £2400 to fix it, so i was almost going to scrap my car.
You guys rock! Thanks

#22 mashery

mashery

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Year: 2008

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Great post, this also fixed the problem for me - garage quoted us 800 quid. Unfortunately the top of the nylon bushing cracked slightly while i was smoothing things out, I had a look around and you can purchase them in just about any dimension so could probably source a new one (cost only around 5 GBP), however I have no clue if you remove the bushing, how do you secure the new one?
just hammer it in or are they glued or what?

#23 ayybeek

ayybeek

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Aybek
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Recently I bought Mondeo 2004, 2.5 petrol engine, automatic gear box. The problem occuring is this, when accelerated slowly then can reach up to only 80 km/h. But, when push the gas pedal suddenly, the engine revvs and whistles as turbo engine or Ferrari, but the speed does not change, as if you are revving on neutral. Sometimes it speeds up but again very slowly and engines revvs up to 5 to 6 thousand before it shifts, but acceleration is very slow, as if it is towing something huge. I had checked in computer diagnostics - they found that ABS sensor is out of order, so the mechanic said that because of that fault - it is not accelerating as it should. Please tell us about any similar problems, if any occured in the past. thanks a lot. Should I change the sensor or is it gear box fault or anything else?

#24 mussyal

mussyal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ghia

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys, ive just had a go at this, the shaft was stuck solid, marked everything up, reamed out the plastic sleeve and reassembled, display on dash stays on N and wont shift into any gear ? wot do u reckon ? i checked for 12v on the loom connector at the actuator but no voltage there ?

#25 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

\

#26 mussyal

mussyal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ghia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thanx Dan, tried all three fuses all ok, i think i need to find a way of testing the actuators on the shift motors next ? car starts only if gearstick is in the neutral position and the dash display stays in N only.

#27 Kayschi

Kayschi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Fusion

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi Lasse,

My name is Kay from Germany closed to Hamburg.
I had the same problem with gear actuator of my Mom´s Ford Fusion.
I followed your advice and It took me 2.5h to get it done :-)
The Ford dealer told me the actuator assy should cost 950EUR + assembly.

The only thing I wanted to say is:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

To all others... keep going with sharing
Such platforms are fantastic.

I´m really happy about my supported well done job.

Best Regards
Kay

#28 gadget

gadget

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion 2

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

hello there i need help and advice please i have a 05 plate ford fusion durashift and i was driving down the road when the car came to a complete stop yet the engine was still running the dash was displaying 5th gear i turned car off and now wont start the dash is displaying like a 0 with a line through it got it towed to fords and they put on a diagnostic machine which showed up nothing yet still cost me 86 pound fords told me its the actuator motor that has seized and its gonna cost me £890 inc vat is there any way i can reduce this cost by trying something your replys are much appreciated

#29 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

\

#30 gadget

gadget

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion 2

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

thank you for your reply my missis says not to touch the car as i might make it worse can you get to these parts over the car bonnet or do u have to go under the car ive never worked on these semi auto cars and have not got a clue what im looking at also how do i unseize the motor cause if its completly seized im looking at spending £550 just on a motor thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users